Thread: fuel pumps? paint?

fuel pumps? paint?

What are you guys running for fuel pumps?
    For my 032 I'm thinking of running an electrical fuel pump.
    What are your thoughts?

Also cleaning my engine up for paint, Any recommendations for paint and prep?
    I'm starting with an empty block and was thinking of fuel proof red or black engine paint.

Re: fuel pumps? paint?

Hello Sandman,
    I started trying to clean my engine yesterday and am kinda in the boat with you. If i have my way there will be very little paint on my engine. But to make it presentable i may have to paint it all. As far as color; that is personal preferance and what will look good with the color of the hull. Now for the fuel pump issue; i have removed and blocked off the manual pump. My thinking is, thats just one more problem gone. :P I plan to use a low pressere electric pump. Sure, it can go bad too, but the auto parts store has them. I think the low pressure pumps run around 3-4 psi. I feel sure you can find one but if you have to run a higher pressure pump you can always install a pressure regulater behind it. Keep us posted. I think i will go take pictures of hy barge now

Jim

I like the Grey on it already, I just might repaint it Grey with an accent color for all the other components.
    To prep it I used oven cleaner to remove the years of old hard grease. Washed it with dish liquid (dawn takes grease out of your way ). Then a paintbrush with turpentine and another wash to remove any remaining dirt and oil.
    Baked it in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees to dry it.
    I'll oil the cylinders once it cools to prevent rust.
    From here I'll start the rebuild and I plan on posting photo's as a step by step for those that are interested in it.
    It'll be a short while before I start the total rebuild because I need a gasket and seal set,but most of the parts have been prepped.
    I plan on building block offs for the Governor and fuel pump holes and I'd really like to lose the existing oil pump system.. but I think for now I'll keep it. I just plan on an oil cooler and remote filter with a pick up pump.
    I figure removing all of the additional parts from the cam would only benefit the performance of the motor.
    A charging system of some sort will take what I gain away I'm sure... but it's a benefit to have juice to charge a lighting system and possibly a starter.
    I don't think the 032 will make it to a finished airboat at the moment... but maybe a go-cart or a light ground effect wing of some sort. possibly a small home built airboat.
    Oh well we'll see.

OK Sandman, I was following you good until you got to the pick up pump on the remote filter. It will probably slap me when you "splain" it to me I'm glad you mentioned the oven cleaner, i had forgotten about that trick. Now about this grey color; are you talking about paint or just the aluminum color? I may be crazy but as i said earlier; i dont want any paint on mine. I just have to figure out how to get the OD off without disassembly. You got any ideas?

Jim

from what I understand.. a "pick up pump" is an oil pump that pulls the oil from the oil pan and sends it through the filter and cooler... it then pushes it up to the original pump to be circulated throughout the engine.
    I'm not sure if it will work because of the splash lubed rods on the 032.

Now I'm confused... OD? oil n dirt?
    If your motor is complete and you want to clean it.. then oven cleaner really does an excellent job... just make sure you wash it off really well. If you really want the aluminum so show, baking soda blast it or glass bead blast it. Just seal any place you don't want the media to enter. I'd also change the oil after doing this just to ensure you remove any contaminates.
    The aluminum color is what I'm after.. but I'm not willing to pay for a media blasting. so Silver paint will do the trick for me.
    Clean engines run cooler.

OK, the 032 isn't pressure fed, right Now i think i understand And to clear up my end, O.D. is olive drab, the green army color. Although we did call it "over dirt" sometimes because it is hard to get a tactical or combat vehicle perfectly clean before painting

Jim

ohh!! olive drab!! hahaha.. .I was way off!
    yeah... blasting with baking soda is really the best, it leaves it with a nice sheen.
    I did have some luck removing allot of the "OD" >wink< with brake cleaner... it bubbled most of it off just the tight crevasses and corners have a little left in them. It worked wonders with the carb, removed 90% of it.
    I'm anxious to start, need to wait for payday.... bummer.

I use a pump ball to the fuel up to the motor and the stock fuel pump on both 032 and 084 and never had a problem. I ran the 032 on my boat for about4-5 months while Chuck was putting my engine together.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

people complain about the ethanol ruining the diaphragm in the stock pump... that was the main concern I had with em...

I've been running my 084 for over a year now without a problem but I'll certainly keep that in mind if I have a fuel related problem.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hey guys great conversation. A little story about the electric fuel pump. I was out the other day and my electric fuel pump died. This was the second one. I fortunately keeped the squeeze ball pump on the fuel line form the tank when I set the boat up, and it saved me a couple mile paddle. I had my daughter keep stomping on the ball and it got us back to our tralier at full speed. She was a little tired though. I recomend to Keep the ball with some extra hose in the lengh for this reason. it will save the day under this kind of failure.
    Its nice when you don't have to call for help.
    Bogger
    Boat specs:
    Hull, 116 fiberglass
    Bottom, Frog spit
    Motor, Rotax 532 dual carb
    65 ponies to push with
    Reduction, 2.58/1
    Prop, IVO 62in.3blade adjustable
    Rigging, 0.5 and 0.75 emt

All still under construction