Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First wreck

imported_Papee

First wreck

Well it happened, my first wreck. I got my first airboat at 17 years old and had my first real wreck today. I guess 35 years of airboating just caught up to me in one day. Now all I have left to do it sink it but that would be hard around here, the deepest water I'm in is 5 feet. There are some deeper holes I could find though.

Back to the story, I was cruising along and decided to run up a small channel so I headed between two small islands to shoot up the channel. I left off the gas so the boat would dig in for the turn and when I gasses up again I hit shallow water at the same time. The boat started sliding sideways into a low hanging branch that was a pretty good size so I gassed it some more but it just slide more. Into the tree I went, I had to duck so I didn't get knocked off the boat. When I ducked, I must have hit the gas again, when I looked up I was heading straight for a small patch of land with a few trees on it. You I got the biggest one! I flew out of my seat and had to reach out for the tree to stop me.

Carnage:
    Me, scrapes on my forearm and shin, not too bad.

The boat, pretty good dent in the bow from the tree, the motor broke loose from the stand in two places and splintered my new prop.

All is well, I'm just a little mad at myself for not slowing more for that turn.

I made it approx. a mile back to the ramp using my trolling motor.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: First wreck

Papee,

Sorry to hear that. From the photos, it looks like it's repairable though.

At least you are O.K., and don't need any major repairs.

You can either repair the boat, or build another, but us humans don't always fair so well in an accident like that.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Glad you made out okay

Wow....

Glad to hear your ok Papee!

Look at the bright side...you should be good for another 35! Right?
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

Hey pappe,

Glad you are ok. The other stuff can be fixed. Remember we don't heal as well as we use to. Now get out there and give those small mouths hell.

John
    Harvest in circles

imported_Papee

Thanks guys, as time went on I got pretty sore. I'm on the up side of healing now, I went out today and bought some angle and flat steel needed to make the repairs. As soon as the rain stops here I'll get out and get the repairs made, put on my spare prop and I'll be back on the water.

Papee,

Good to hear that both you and the boat are recovering from your bruises.

Thanks for sharing the story. Maybe it'll help the rest of us be a little more cautious.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

My shin has finally healed enough that I could go out and look the boat over. I backed the boat up to the garage and got it all leveled so I could get the motor sitting in the right place again. I just used a ratchet strap up to the cage to get the motor in position. The pulley side mounts will be fine, all I have to do is redo the prop side mounts. I did notice that the motor must have came far enough forward that it hit the cage and bent a cooling fin on the one cylinder. It's not bad though and does not need replaced.

Anyone need a prop? Great condition only about 6 hours use on it.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

LOL

What's the starting bid on the prop? Wow, you pretty much trashed it didn't ya'?

Glad you came out better than the prop did.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I'll start the bid at $.05 and I'll even sign it! I think I may have to sign it "dumba##" though.

It's just a such a fine line between putting the gas to the floor and shutting down the motor. I choose the "when in doubt power out" option.

Guess it time to put on the new gas pedal I got from Chuck also. Looks like I bent the current one flat when I hit. I was in it all the way
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

More work done today, I got the motor back in place and all the mounts done. I made some changes and did some extra reinforcing. All I have left to do is fix/redo the gas linkage and I can get back on the water. I may have to shim the motor some because I'm not sure I got it right. I have the level on one of the stringers but it rained overnight and the water is laying towards the front of the boat. I had to raise the trailer jack to get the water to drain. I'm hoping since I used the level on the part of the hull that actually contacts the water I got it close.

Papee,

I'm glad you're getting it back together.

About the prop bidding. If I bid $1.00, would that include shipping?

You've got a wall hanger if there ever was one.

Seriously though, when I got started back on my years old idea of building an airboat, I found a VW engine, prop, and rigging on Craigslist. The guy wanted $600 for the package. So I went to check it out. The engine was crap, the rigging was crap, and the prop didn't look much better than yours does. It was all there, but weather splintered to hell. "The prop may need to be refinished". (His words)

I passed on his "bargain".

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I ran a vw powered boat at one time. I was not nearly impressed with it as I am the 084 setup. We're leaving for GA in another week or two so I may just take this time to get the starter on. I'm going to do mine a little different. I made my cage as small a possible so there is not room for the setup on the side. My plans are to use the 4 bolts as Chuck does but put my starter right below the crank pulley. All I need to do is figure out a good tension setup but I won't be hard. Maybe it was a good thing after all, the boat was working so I didn't do any more work to it. Now that is it down I have a chance to do some work on it.

Papee,

I've meant to ask. Your signature says PA/GA. though I live in NC now, I spent most of my life in southwest GA. What part of Ga do you hail from?

I'd love to see what you do with the starter. I'm not there yet, but hope to be before too long. I've made several inquiries about starters, but haven't found the right one yet. (I can make a decent starter noise, in the dining room)

All things happen for a reason. your Umm... "tree bump", may have been a sign that you need to work on the starter.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I'm in PA, the wife is from GA and we have a place in Toccoa. We will be moving to GA in the next couple years. Hopefully I'll be on a houseboat on Lake Hartwell and she can visit when she wants.

Even NORTH GA is better than some places.

Actually, we used to vacation up there. Toccoa Falls was a favorite place. I loved that part of the state. If you've not been there, you need to visit Black Rock Mountain state park. No boating, but a great view.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

Hey Papee, I have your Starter brackets made, Just trying to get a starter in to send to you. Maybe by Monday. I have had a long week and have to get ready for the boat show at FT Meyers on Sat an Sun.
    Thanks, Chuck

Papee,
    That's my neck of the woods. I'm originally from Bowman, Ga. You might have to put a prop on that houseboat. Lake Hartwell got terribly low last summer. My family has a Old Farm that connects to the Broad River. Lots of shallow water. Probaly could run all the way to Clark Hill Lake if it wasn't for Anthony shoals at the end. Wish I could move back. That's were I feel at peace. I just took a gov't job in Charleston. So my boat build might have to be paused to move from Charlotte. You lucky. GOOOOOOOOO DAWGS!

gavlanco ,

You lucky DAWG. I hope that you're a big fan of Shrimp & Grits. If not, you will be soon.

Keep us posted....

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,
    Anything with grits is good. Especially all that eye candy down there at Folly beach. Where you going to be running that new boat? I think your about 3 hrs from me.
    Mark