Thread: Pulley

Pulley

I have a straight 1" shaft mounted on two pillar blocks and am looking for some aluminum pulleys (2.6 to 1). Does any one know of a good place to buy?

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: Pulley

gavlanco,

I guess it depends a lot on what kind of pulleys you're looking for. V belt? Multi-V belt? Timing belt/cog belt style?

McMaster-Carr has a decent online catalog if you're looking for ideas.

I assume this is for your reduction drive. I've been told that you really don't want to use a timing belt/cog belt style drive for that, for resonance reasons. There are times during accel and decel (which happens every time a cylinder fires) that just a little slip is a very good thing. It's got to do with the power impulses from a internal combustion engine, compared to an electric motor.

I'm certainly no expert on this, just passing on what I've been told by people who should know... I've been told that the best way to do a reduction drive is to use multiple matched length V belts. They pull when they need to, and slip a little when they need to.

How many would depend on the HP and reduction. I think Gates has something on thier website that would help in that decision.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction