Thread: New welder

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

New welder

All,

I've been busy with other aspects of my project for the last several days, but finally got a chance to try out the new Millermatic 140 this afternoon.

I like it. I've still got to practice some more to get used to it though. My tacks looked great. My beads did not. The last ones were getting better. I finally ran a decent looking bead, and decided to stop while I was ahead and think about it some.

I was using .030 SS wire with Tri-mix gas, on 1/8" x 3/4" scrap mild steel angle. Part of my problem was that the last time I did much welding, I didn't wear glasses. I couldn't find the right angle for my bifocal safety glasses under the welding hood. If you can't see what you're doing, it's hard to make it look good.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

imported_Papee

Re: New welder

Duane I use a corrective lens in my welding helmet. You can get them most anywhere for your prescription. I use a 125 in mine.

Duane,

I've got a magnifier in my auto darkening helmet, and my (strong) drug store reading glasses to boot. I can't manage to follow a line anymore without them!

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Papee and Dave,

I was describing my problem to a friend at work today, and he gave me an Omni - Mag lens to try. I haven't tried it yet to see if it'll fit my welding hood. If not, I'll do a search for one that will.

Edit: I just tried it, and it doesn't quiet fit. Maybe I'll just pick up a Drug store pair of reading glasses to try.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I bought a miller 140 this year as well Duane and absolutely think it's the cats meow of mini welders.
    You can also weld aluminum with this welder as long as you buy the right spool and gun.
    I'll have to look it up again but I believe it's a $200. purchase.
    And yeah my welds look like crap also... but the beauty in metal is... grind and weld... then grind some more if you don't like it. Eventually you'll get what your looking for.
    As far as welding galvanized... I find it really easy... just the fumes are toxic so you need really decent ventilation. just turn on the prop and give er a rev once in a while!!

Sandman,

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I gave up trying to use the auto darkening hood. As much as I like it, at the low current I've been using for the thin wall SS, it's just way too dark. The lowest it'll go is 9.

What has been working for me has been a #6 fillter, with a 1.75 magnifier lens.

Another thing that has been a big help was attaching an old black T shirt to the back of the hood. That blocks out the bright sunlight and eliminates the glare inside the hood. I've done all of my welding on this project outside.

I love my Millermatic 140. By the time I get this project done, maybe I'll know how to use it properly.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I thought I was the only one that used the dark shirt!! welding outside is tough without it.

Sandman,

Yeah, it makes a BIG difference. It's HOT, but you've got to be able to see what you're doing.

Having said that, some of my best looking welds were done at an angle where I could NOT see what I was doing, and I was having to go pretty much by feel. Go figure. Maybe I should do all of them that way.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

May the "force" be with you Darth Scarborough.
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

I cut the bill of one of my old hats down to fit the gap at your forehead. I don't use the shirt deal

Welding helmets, you get what you pay for, don't try to skimp on a helmet. Your eyes are important. I use an auto darken for everything. Even grinding.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I do just about all my welding in the shop. In addition to the light problem outside, there always seem to be a breeze that blows the argon away. The shop just works a lot better! Even then I can't weld all that great anymore.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Buster,

Yeah, besides the Sun, there's also the breeze. I envy your nice shop.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

What is this gas you speak of? I use a stick, my big one for heavy stuff and my 110 for most stuff on the boat. I rarely pull out the mig.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

yeah I ran my welder out of gas trying to keep up with the wind... way too fast but a wood floor shop is no place for a welder. especially with all the wood being oil soaked
    I might eventually build a new garage... but first things first.. a man needs to know his priorities... Chuck... how much for that 105 mini hull??? >wink<
    Until then.. weld,grind,fill... ,weld,grind,fill... in a tent.. on the lawn.. in the driveway.

MAA Vendor

Your Lucky Sandman, They were $ 1595.00 and today we decided to drop the cost to $ 1495.00.
    Chuck