Thread: Lake buggy in progress.

Lake buggy in progress.

First, Let me introduce myself. I'm an Aircraft Mechanic from Charlotte, NC. I can build an aircraft from scratch, but the water thing is new to me. I,ve been reading the forums from this site and southern airboat for about a year now and am completely addicted. Seems like I've known some of you forever by just reading your comments. There's a lot of talented minds here and i enjoy seeing your projects. I built a airboat from a skinny 11' jon boat and there's no way to explain it's performance other than to say it SUCKED! Now I'm building a 10 x 6 Lake buggy 2 seater with a JLO Rockwell 440 2 cycle. I'll
    post some pictures in a minute and I have a question about the transom that's been keeping up a night. So please someone answer so I can sleep.
    This sight is great and hope I can also be a service by answering some of your questions.
    Mark Cornell

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: Lake buggy in progress.

Mark,

Welcome to the forum. I thought about building a Lake Buggy boat, but after receiving the plans decided that I wanted something a notch up. There's really nothing wrong with the Lake Buggy, but I've waited 38+ years to do this, and probably will never build another, so I decided to go with a MiniPro 116 and a 4A084 engine.

Actually, during my decision making process, I came across a good deal on a new 4A084, and it's a bit too much for a Lake Buggy. So that kinda' put me over the fence, decision wise.

I'm looking forward to seeing progress photos.

Here's where I am so far: ( I still have a long way to go.)

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Duane, That looks great. Yeah I have a little problem. I always take the hard way and then wish I just bought one. But it's mostly the building i like and the me time in the garage. Be patient with me I'm trying to figure out this uploading of the pictures. Keeps telling me file is invalid.
    Mark

Mark,

No problem. We'll be here.

The photo posting process is a little tricky to learn at first, but once learned is simple and easy. After you've done it a few times you can do it without thinking about it. I think there's a "how-to" somewhere on this site. I'm not sure. I'll look.

I put my photos in a Photobucket.com album. Then I add links to the photos in that album when posting on the forum. There are other ways to do it, but this works quick and easy for me.

Let me know if I can help.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Mark,

I found it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=125&hilit=posting+photos

Let me know it it doesn't work for you. It's not exactly the way I do it. but works.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Hey Mark,

Welcome aboard

I reduce my photo's in my camera to the smallest size, and it usually works for me. I don't think the website will accept them if you don't.

Good luck, Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Let me see if I got the picture size right

OK guys. The hull is 6 x 10. The outboard 17 inches of the bottom of the transom is angled up about 1/2". 3 feet forward of the transom is completely flat all the way across. So it slightly slopes up to the rear corner. I did this so the boats rear corners would not catch, but now I'm wondering is this going to be bad idea performance wise? The engine is 35hp @ 6750rpm and weighs 40 lbs with the starter minus the weights. he he. I'm going to have a 2.6 to 1 reduction turning a 59" 3 blade prop.

Mark,

I'm glad you got the photo upload thing figured out. It looks like you're well on your way.

I really don't know how that transom will work out. I've never seen it done that way. Then again, maybe I don't understand what you were saying correctly. If I understand correctly you've got a sharp chine until the back corner, and you've rounded that.

Everything I've seen had a flat transom bottom, with full length either sharp or rounded chines, depending on the intended use of the boat.

Actually, my MiniPro 116 hull has both, sort of. Maybe a photo would explain better:

I'm not sure exactly why Chuck designed it this way, but when I was riding with Darren in his boat a couple of weeks ago it seemed to handle well.

Hopefully more knowledgeable folks will chime in on your question.

How about posting a photo from a different angle to better show what it looks like?

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I turned the hull upside down and took a couple of pictures. I'm using a level as a straight edge to show you guys the slope. I've got a plan to finish the round edges using wood, foam board, a hot wire, and build it up with fiberglass before wrapping the whole boat with glass. The middle 38" of the transom is flat. The outer 17" slopes to the corner. Now 2 Feet forward of the transom is flat all the way across except for the edge. If I poured water 2 feet forward of the transom and 17 inches inboard of the side of the hull, the water would flow to the rear corner

Mark,

You might want to check out another fella that built a Lake Buggy, a while back. You may learn a thing or two, without going through it all yourself.

Check out under, "Show us your rig", the topic, HOMEBUILT MINI UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

imported_Papee

Gav I run an aluminum boat that is set up something like you have there. The chines like Duane has shown is probably best. The chines help dig in when turning. My boat will slide out more easily with the rounded or flat like mine is. When you get your boat out of the water there nothing there to grab the water in a turn making it want to slide. It takes some more finesse to get it to turn but they do work.

On a boat like you are planning you may not have much to worry about. When you get faster speeds there is less of your hull in the water and causes this turning problem. When making a sharp turn I just let off the throttle going into the turn which allows the corner to dig in then apply more throttle once the turn is started. You will get the feel of how the boat handles on your own.

This problem is more noticeable in skinny water and you will feel the boat sliding. Just be sure to run your boat in shallow water to get the feel of how you boat works and you will learn what it takes to control it.

Mark,

Thanks for clearing that up in my mind with the new photos. I was envisioning something entirely different.

What I saw there is a slight variation of the flat bottom, rounded chines I mentioned before. I expect it will work very nicely for you.

Good work !

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction