Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 084 STARTER ALTERNATIVE

Re: 084 STARTER ALTERNATIVE

At this point in time I just want to say, I sure am glad I have a good starter. As most probably know, I am having some problems getting the 084 to run. I have severe shoulder problems, and I would not have been able to pull it over more than ounce or twice by rope.

During the trials the starter has spun it good for quite a few seconds, a number of times. No problems so far.

I keep you all updated when anything changes.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

We finally got the 084 to run today. The Subaru starter worked perfectly, and the flywheel/ring gear has no detectable runout, or vibration. We ran it up to 4,000 rpm just to check.

I realize this is not a true test, and it will need to be time tested to convince some, but I am satisfied it was the right way for me to go

Dave

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Buster,

I hope you understand that I really am very happy that it worked so well. A wimpy starter would have added a lot of aggrevation to the process of getting her up and running.

Your thrown together first experiments have developed into something that looks like it was done by someone who really does know what he's doing.

Shame on me for doubting your idea.

However, I'm going to push forward with the starter/generator idea.

But if it doesn't work out, I may try your "alternative". (I still have a new Subaru starter sitting on a shelf in the shop).

Congratulations on your success !!!

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

do the 084's flywheel teeth match the 032's?
    I'll take a look at what I have for starters.. would you need a car starter or would something with a little less torque work?
    Just asking because I do have a few starters from used sleds sitting around... they are small but mighty and usually last for a long time, even with turning over sleds that haven't been run in a year.
    Rebuilding them is easy and parts are very easy to find.
    Just throwing it out there.. if ya need one let me know.

Duane,

Thanks

Sandman,

I believe the 032 and the 084 starter ring gear teeth are the same. However if you read the first post of this topic, you will see that I did not use either. Also I tried some other starters that did not work. I think it may be helpful for you to read this topic all the way through. Their is some helpful stuff in it.

I made up a flywheel out of a piece of 1/4" flat steel plate, and a ring gear from a lawn tractor, about 18 HP I think. The teeth happen to be the same as the Subaru starter that I eventually ended up using.

I didn't have any snowmobile parts to try, so I can't tell you what will or won't work.

Dave

ah yeah.. I did read it.. but I've lost my head with all that I've read from every forum on the planet...
    I'm starting to believe that my real name is "Sandman"

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    OK guys,

Let me be the one to bring an old thread back to life.

Here I am, with my hat shamefully in my hand.

I know that I bad-mouthed Buster's design. Shame on me.

I must apologize to Buster. He did have a pretty good idea.

The starter/generator idea sure sounded good, but it has it's problems. Yeah, it sorta'/almost works, but it's not very reliable.

I thought, (and still think) that the 102 tooth Harley ring gear/Chrysler style starter that Chuck came up with was (is) a good idea.

The problem is that it requires major modifications to the Arrow Prop reduction drive.

Ain't nothing really wrong with that, but for me to go to that now, it'd also require me to make cage modifications, and I wouldn't be able to use the VW/Solex carb.

(I may eventually go with the Kehien CV side draft carb, but ain't ready yet.)

I'm reluctant to make all of those changes right now. If I was starting from scratch, that might be the way I'd go. But I'm too far along...

So, I had the 102 tooth Harley ring gear out there, and was trying to figure out what to do. Nothing that I came up with made sense.

Then I thought about Buster's design again, and thought about using the Subaru starter (that was still on the shop shelf) with the 102 tooth Harley ring gear on the alternator end of the crankshaft.

When I held those 2 in place, (the Harley ring gear, and the Subaru starter) it just wouldn't work. BUT, if I used a 14" diameter flex plate/ring gear it could work, without blocking the airflow.

Buster and I had that conversation a WHILE back.

So I'm back to that idea now.

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction