Thread: ABOUT RUDDERS

ABOUT RUDDERS

I would like to know the advantage of AIRFOIL Rudders. Other than looks, is their a real difference in the way the airfoil rudders operate, or make the boat handle? The only airboat I ever drove had flat (Plywood) rudders. To me it seemed to work good, but I had nothing to compare it to.

Also, I also was wondering about that Teleflex cable steering system. Is there any advantage over rod style rudder linkage? It seems that I hear guys say they have to replace those expensive cables intermittantly! seems like just extra money to me, however I have never used one, so I really don't know.

Appreciate anyones input,

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Re: ABOUT RUDDERS

HI Buster,

Good questions and I think I can add some insight on both parts. I have used all of the above as far as wood v. aluminum and cable v. rod steering components.

First the steering: Back in the day and even some today all we used was a cable and pulley system. Plastic coated cable and pulleys…oh yeah…don’t forget the springs. That system has worked for years and probably always will. There is the downside of cable and pulley maintenance and potential fouling of the system…there is also a fair amount of “slop” with these systems. You have to have some type of tensioning system for the cables. The standard around here “was” to put springs on the back corner pulleys and where the cables connected to the rudder tie rod. The springs like you find on the safety chain for a storm door work the best. The springs keep the cable tight and also allow a buffer but sometimes that buffer turned into sloppy, spongy steering. That is for full size auto drives…might not be as big a factor or the 084.

The flex rod type steering is more positive, cleaner, and not likely to clog, foul, or break. There are 100’s of boats around here and I have only heard of 1 breaking. My current rod system has been on since 91 and is still as smooth as the first year. Boat has been outside 100% of the time…just tarp it for the winter. There have only been a couple cable boats built around here lately and they were classic old school boats. Should be able to pick up a flex rod and mount it for about the same as running cable and pulleys if you count your time as worth something. I think the flex rod is worth the chips.

About my current boat…I ran wood rudders for about 4 years…all I could afford or wanted at the time. (wood was also the standard from around the late 40's to early 90's here) Mine were 4’ made out of ¾ plywood with glass and gelcoat (probably overdone). They were stiff enough but weighed a ton. Lot’s of pressure on those and they have to be stiff. I switched to the aluminum foam filled and never looked back. The aluminum are very stiff and light. Light is the key there. Not sure about the exact weight difference but can tell you handling one of the wood rudders was a chore for one person and my wife installed one of the aluminum ones herself. I am going to say that the switch saved at least 50# and made the steering feel like power steering. Big difference in improving the amount of control input needed.

So…that is what I have learned. They all will get the job done just fine. I think it all boils down to one very important element that each individual has to determine for themselves: When your sitting on that milk crate and making those airboat noises…do you make them by puttering air through your lips or do you make them by growling? There is where you might find your answer.
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

Wildfowl, Thanks for all that good info. the only thing I didn't understand was the part about the "flex rod". I guess I don't know what that is. I built the steering linkage for my boat from 1/2" EMT conduit and Helical rod ends. Worked great and did not have one speck of play. What is a Flex Rod used for?

Incidently, My wife would say I tend to Grunt more than Growl or Putter. (Must be for getting the boat unstuck )
    Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Hi Buster,

I was using the term "flex rod" as a generic for the teleflex product. There are other generic/grey products similar to the teleflex and price can vary considerably.

As a side note I like Papee's rudder formula...in my minds eye it should work great and adds that "craft" factor into the build.

Good luck and if you run into another aircat hull let us know...but call me first! :P

It's a classic looking boat with nice curvs and that sexy 084 is a great topper for the build.

Thanks for sending the pic's!
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.