Thread: rd2 w/ 503 rotax setup

rd2 w/ 503 rotax setup

theirs a suggested setup chuck for a future hull engine combo , the 503 would probably blow the kohlers away in performance and weigh alot less also , ever thought about that combo?

MAA Vendor

Re: rd2 w/ 503 rotax setup

Hey Snapper, we have thought of the Rotax, but they cost too much and it would be hard to sell the boats. I realy think the 084 motors are going to work good. We are waiting on one more part to improve the starter setup but we hope the weather is right for testing this week end.
    Thanks, Chuck

I may be interested in selling my DCDI 503 Rotax soon. For a very reasonable price. I'm looking to upgrade to more horsepower. I just need to find a deal on a larger motor. I'll let everyone know when it goes up for sale. I almost hate to let it go, It runs like a clock. I wish I could afford to keep it as a spare.
    Chad

Live life on the edge! It's less crowded and there's a much better view....

I run a 583 Rotax on mine, and it runs like a clock as well. Its water cooled so warm weather isn't a factor. The hp is amazing! A very high performance snowmobile engine will turn out more than 200 hp! Now that would be a very pricy motor, but I'm into mine $500 and its got about 85 hp with the block weighing in at 73 lbs. How about getting up on plane within seconds with 800 lbs of gear in the boat, plus the weight of the boat! Nobody can argue with that!!

MAA Vendor

Yea Snapper, it would blow the kohler away on the RD2 hull. Now if i can get Matapatos to sell me his engine for 500.00 dollars we will build it.
    Here in Florida, I can't find any used snowmobiles. Now if someone sends me the engine, we can build them the RD2 with their engine, or maybe put it on Scorpy and set some speed records.
    Thanks, Chuck

Hmmmm... $500 huh? We might be able to find you one up this way if you wanna experiment with it. The shipping would probably make it not worth it on a large scale, but to just try one? Maybe! I might charge a little more for mine now... Its hooked to a boat!!

Chuck,
    What's the width across the top of both the rd2 and the mini pro hulls? I'm asking because I'm wondering what's the largest diameter prop I could swing on either hull without having to flare out the cage past the outer edge of the hull. Ideally, I'd like to run a 72" 4 blade Wharp Drive.

Thanks,
    Chad

MAA Vendor

Hey Spyda, The RD2 is 7 ft across the top and the MiniPro 116 is 6 ft 6 inches.
    Thanks, Chuck

Hey spyda - any idea on price for your motor? What about the reduction? I might know a few guys around here that would want it depending on the price.

chuck are you going to do an rd2 hull w/ the 084 engine setup also?

MAA Vendor

Hey Snapper, i would like to put an 084 on the RD2. All I need is a customer to pay for it. It would be awesome if we had a 1.69 to 1 drive for it. Circle S Mfg. is designing me a new drive. I hope to have it soon.
    Thanks, Chuck

I know you can't say for sure , cause it hasn't been done yet , but how well do you expect the rd2 hull would perform with that setup ? and do you expect that it would possibly be able to run dry ? also what's an estimation on price on could expect setup with the 084 and redrive versus say the 40 kohler , without the fancy paint work and such just say a bare bones , hunting rig ....

MAA Vendor

Hey Snapper, I think the 084 would be excellant on the RD2. The RD2 we delivered last week had a 40 Kohler on it and David said he unloaded it on the ground and drove it across the grass, down a hill and into the water. We had frog spit slick bottom on it and a 3 blade warp drive prop. I think the 084 will work a little better. The cost for the boat last week was $ 13,313.00 and that was with the 3 blade IVO prop and a new trailer. The same boat with the 084 would be about $ 1000.00 less or $ 12,313.00. Opt up to the 3 blade Warp Drive would be $ 12,848.00.
    Thanks, Chuck

will the 084 hold up better than the 40 kohler in your professional opinion
    , oh and how much differnce in noise between the two and what about fuel consumption in comparison ...

MAA Vendor

I think the Kohler will hold up longer. It is a new engine and we haven't had one problem with them. The 084 is an antique engine but it looks and sounds like an aircraft engine, The 084 parts don't cost much and the engine is easy to repair. If your hobbie is to make the boat perform better and you have the skill to tinker, then go with the 084. If you don't have the ability to repair or don't want to tinker then go with the Kohler.
    Thanks, Chuck

Scooter, sorry for the delay... been very busy. Until I find a running 583, I can't sell my 503. I need it for trapping season. I hadn't decided on a price for my 503 and gear box. I'd have to think about it.
    Chad

Spyda - Check on ksl.com in the classifieds and if you find something that looks good at a good price pm or call me. If it's northern Utah we might be able to check it out and get it down there for you. Those motors come up quite a bit on there for 1000-1200 bucks for a complete sled. Don't know what a sled with no motor would bring. Let me know if I can help.