Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ron and Robin's new mini

MAA Vendor

Re: Ron and Robin's new mini

Yeh, The 6038 was a little too much pitch. I though i ask for a 1.69 to 1 drive to be built but it came as a 1.85 to 1. With the low RPM's of the 084, the drive needs to be a 1.69 to 1 to develop the best prop speed. Ron can.t afford anougher drive unit so we will have to make the 1.85 work. We may try a 6034 FL Airboat propeller to see how it works. Don't get me wrong, all the ratio's made will work to push your boat, but the availible engine rpm and torque decides which ratio will work the best to get the best performance. When we get the right prop on it, then we will do the video.
    Thanks, Chuck

it being a 45 hp w/reduction it will most likely come out some where around a 60X28 or maybe a 60X30.
    I sold a 60X30 dec.6 or I could have sent it to you to try out.
    thats the only bad thing about a new set up , you have to play with all variables till you get it all to perform the best .
    the great thing about this is everything on boat #2 will all fall together easy.
    I am very interested on how this compination will turn a 60" prop and perform on a 10 X 6 hull.

MAA Vendor

We have a 6030 and it wasn't enough to keep the RPM's down. The 084 was turning 4330 with the 1.85 drive. I don't think the engine will last long at 4330. I think a 6034 would work good. We hove a 60 inch 3 Blade Warp Drive on it now and it's doing OK. We just haven't had time to play with it.
    Thanks, Chuck

hows it coming chuck ?

MAA Vendor

We Haven't run it lately. Too much work and not enough play. It's too cold now. Maybe we will run it when we run the EVOPRO.
    Thanks, Chuck

MAA Vendor

Ron came over this morning and took the 3 blade 60 inch Warp Drive off and installed the 6038 wood prop again. The 084 with the Solex carb turned 3980 rpm. We measured the pulley's again and the drive is a 1.89 to 1. To get it down to 3600, we may need a 6042. Wow. Ron took his boat to the water and when he came back, his smile was from ear to ear. He said it got on plane in about 10 ft. I want him to try a 5 blade power fin. We haven't used one but after talking to Stuart, i think it would work good. Maybe we can do a video Sunday. Hope so.
    Thanks, Chuck

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Chuck,

Glad to hear that the reduction drive actually is 1.89:1. Do you think that the Solex carb really makes that much difference? Have you checked to see if Ron has a hidden nitrous bottle?

If it jumped up on plane in 10 feet, I guess he would be smiling ear to ear.

I got a reply from Don at Arrowprop, and he recomended a 60-28 wide blade prop. I'm not sure if we miscomunicated somehow about what engine I had (which is possible, because I was originally thinking about using a 35HP Briggs), his experience is with an anemic engine, or if a wide blade prop makes a big difference. You and Ron are thinking about going to a 60-42, and Don is recomending a 60-28.

I assume that the 60-38 that Ron was testing was a regular 2 blade, regular width prop. Don at Arrowprop also told me that a 3 blade prop would be quieter.

One of my goals is to have a reasonably quiet airboat. Do you think that the 5 blade Power Fin would be quieter than what Ron tested today?

Wow, it seems like the more I learn, the more I need to learn.

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

MAA Vendor

The 6028 is what we run on a 35 Briggs with a 1.69 to one drive. When you lower the drive ratio, you need more prop. You will turning the prop slower if you keep the engine rpm's the same. The Solex carb made the engine gain 500 rpm so to get the engine rpm back down, we needed more prop. I have only seen one width prop when it comes to these small wood props. Some people say it looks like a wide blade. I think the 5 blade power fin would be quieter with the 1.89 to one drive than a 1.69 to 1. I may never know how good the power fin works unless one of my customers wants me to put it on his boat. I don't have funds to experiment with everyones prop just because they say it is the best. I know how good the Warp Drive and the IVO work and know what applications to use them on. I know now on the 084 to use a 4 blade warp if it has the 1.89 to 1 drive, we just haven't had the 4 blade plates made. I sell a lot of the props that i know works but i can't promote a prop that i haven't run and adjusted.
    Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,

I'm guessing that the Power Fin 5 blade is not cheap.

I'm also guessing that a 4 blade Warp Drive carries a healthy price tag as well.

I need to find a compromise between quiet, and inexspensive. To start with, I may just stick with the "it made Ron smile from ear to ear" style prop, and build my rigging as wide / tall as the hull allows. That way I can experiment later.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

ok guys i got some new info on my boat heres what i got the solex carb is to lean and cyl head temp was to high about 500 degrees going to melt something down so i order new jets idel jet 65 and a niddle and seat 2.0 mm and main jets a 150 an a 170 put in the new idel jet 65mm and the new seat an the 170 main jet took it for a ride and dam it fell on its face at 1500 or about rpm so i changed the main jet to the 150 mm an tryed again it ran great cyl head temp is down to 350 to 380 degrees so that was a good thing there i am still running the 60 x 38 wood prop i think i need a bit more timing but all in all the temp i think will work exhaust temp about 1400 degrees i have thought about av gas coz thr timing is set about 15 degrees it might help so that is where i stand so far u can get the jets at happys auto inc and the seat at vw parts, vee dub unlimited
    Ron Paxson
    Hull: airboat pro 11.6 mini with frog spit
    Rig: 1/2 emt
    Engine: Teledyne 4a-084-4
    Carb: Solex/Brosol H30/31 with main jet 150.needle & seat 2.0 mm.idel jet .55
    Reduction: 1.64:1
    Prop: 60in warp drive 3 blade 10 degrees pitch
    Speed: 38 mph
    Max RPMs: 3400
    fuel tank: 12 gal
    head temp: 350-400

Hey Ron, I'm curious what speeds you are getting with your boat with one person?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

will i can get alittle over 30 mph 30.8 is what my gps tells me
    Ron Paxson

Ron,

Can you give us some info on the EGT/CHT guage that you're using? I took a picture of it back in April, but the picture came out fuzzy.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

It looks like this almost

I must have missed any previous talk about that gauge. What is it all about, and what is it used for etc.?

Thanks, Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

David,

That looks like it. I think Ron's only had EGT and CHT, though. I found Electronics International's website, and I think that the one Ron has must be the model EC-1.

Buster,

If you look up a few posts, you'll see where Ron mentioned Exhaust Gas Temp and Cylinder Head Temp during his carburetor jetting experiments. EGT is a very good indicator of fuel mixture, which is extremely important to a pilot, and helpful to us when we're playing with carbs on air cooled engines.

I'm not planning to buy one until after I get the Solex carb, and may not even then, (They're not cheap ) but I am going to make sure to save space for one on my console.

Thanks,

Duane

P.S. Don't worry, there are also analog dial type EGT/CHT guages available.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

before u go buy a new egt/cht go to the local airplane junk yard get one from them mine cost me 150 $ that was cheap u will need to put the egt probe 2 in. from the head to get the right temp to close or to far away it will not give u the right temp. the cht put it under the spark plug u pick the cyl. i like the gauge it was a good deal an it will same the engine,,,,ron
    Ron Paxson

Hello all,
    Just wanted to say, check out Aircraft Spruce. They have a Westach Dual CHT/EGT that is very reasonable.It will just check one cylinder on each but thats better than nothing. Personally i would not consider runing without them. ( just me ) We have modified these engines and they need to be monitered. Maybe oil temp would be enough with original carb but i just like insurance. Just my openion Oh and by the way, can someone tell me which cylinder tends to run the hottest

Later, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dak10
    before u go buy a new egt/cht go to the local airplane junk yard get one from them mine cost me 150 $ that was cheap u will need to put the egt probe 2 in. from the head to get the right temp to close or to far away it will not give u the right temp. the cht put it under the spark plug u pick the cyl. i like the gauge it was a good deal an it will same the engine,,,,ron
    Ron,

Very good advice, except for one thing. I don't have a local airplane junk yard.

But, I do have EBAY. I snagged one for $50.00 today. I've got to buy the sensors separately, but it was still a deal. (Compared to almost $400.00 for a new one).

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

Seems like an EGT guage used to be called a Pyrometer. I just happen to have one that I rescued before I sold my old Mack truck. I remember we always had to watch it when we pulled a load up a long hill, under heavy throttle. I wonder if it is the same thing.

Do you know what temp. is considered Max for the 084?

Thanks, Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!