Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: funny how things work out

Re: funny how things work out

more pics
    Harvest in circles

Just to confirm....Is your cage and motor stand composed of thin wall EMT conduit?
    Chad

Live life on the edge! It's less crowded and there's a much better view....

Hey Chad,

Yea, the cage is electrical conduit, the motor stand is a little heavier.

John
    Harvest in circles

OK, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't built out of rigid emt or pipe, that stuff weighs a ton... You never know what some people are thinking when you see some of the creations I've seen over the years. lol
    Chad

Live life on the edge! It's less crowded and there's a much better view....

Chad,

I removed the fuel tank and it was a little bigger then what was needed. The pic shows it standing next to a 5 gallon plastic container. I looked at the bottom today and it does have a couple of dents in the bottom. My big question going out to all my airboat guru buddies is how does one go about correct such a defect? I will be removing the engine and seating this week, so the hull will cleaned off and ready for repair. When I get it lifted up I will send a pic off for ya to look at. I will be raising the seat 6 inches and moving the engine back about 3 inches when it goes back together. Hope everyone had a happy and blessed holiday .

Thanks
    John
    Harvest in circles

Update:

I have removed the engine frame from the boat so I could re arrange things a bit. There was a huge hook in the hull that extended the full length of the flat surface. An enclosed pic shows my early attempts to correct the condition, but it give an idea of the scale of the problem. I have since built bow fences that apply the pressure to the center spar that will be needed. The engine attitude is being corrected and being moved 2 1/2 inches to the rear. The cage has been inspected and will be replaced this weekend. I will get pics of the attempt to correct the hook and let ya know how things work out. I will be putting the finishing touches on the prop and seal it tomorrow or friday. Back with more news when we get out of this deep freeze we are having in northern Florida.

John

PS pic would not down load.....will take new ones
    Harvest in circles

MAA Vendor

Hey av8or, funny how things work out, north Florida in Winter and I hope you don't get frost bite. . Good luck on the rebuild. Chuck

Hey chuck,

Finally got some weather I could work in and came up with what might take care of the hook in the hull. This thing must have hit something really hard at some point. I am not sure if the pics will download but will give it a try. I ended up using a piece of 3/4 angle over the center spar and have distributed the stress over two arches and several cross members. The guys at a local welding shop came up with the idea and I took it from there. It has been a learning experience that I have really enjoyed. It has given me a chance to learn all aspects of the machine and I feel comfortable working on it and am more confident in the machine itself.
    Now I know just a small amount of what it takes to put together an airboat and still need to find out if this was the problem in the first place. It gives me an appreciation of all of the research and development that goes into a fine tuned, properly balanced machine. The manufactures that share their knowledge so freely on this site and others are to be commended for their efforts to ensure that we amateurs don't hurt ourselves or others in out guest to have some breeze on our knees.

Thanks
    John

PS still can't download the pics
    Harvest in circles

Send them to me John I'll get them up. We've had to upgrade to a new server and there seems to be a few bugs still hanging around with it. support@woodlawnwt.com
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Here they are John
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

MAA Vendor

Hey av8or, How you coming on the rebuild? Haven't heard from you lately.
    Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Been a little out of sorts for a while, but got some work done today. Everything ia wired back up and she is running fine and I finished the welding this evening. Hope to get it out into some skinny water this week. Will keep ya all posted.

John
    Harvest in circles

I guess it is back to the drawing board. Dropped her in the water on Friday and had two small leaks that needed attention. Went back in today and it still doesn't get up on plane. At this point I am not sure if it is just a lead sled that is underpowered or a defective design. Chuck, I may bring it down to you to look at and let me know if it is worth more time and money or if I should just start out with a new hull. Either way at least I will know what I am looking at.

John
    Harvest in circles

MAA Vendor

Hey John, I would be glad to look at it and let you know what the problem is. I will be here all week but will be leaving on Friday 27th at noon going to to the boat show at Bass Pro Shop in Dania FL. Will be back on Monday 30th. Just let me know when your coming. Thanks, Chuck

Hey John what's up? Let's get you on the water!

Hey Guys,
    Sorry for the long delay in getting back to ya. I had a need to take a little break from reality for a while( well, maybe not so little). Anyway it is time to get back to the job of living and see what happens. I am sure that the long moist summer has taken a toll on the old girl, but with a little TLC I am sure I will have it running in no time. Then it is back to the drawing board and we will see if I can get it up on plane by the end of the year. I will keep you posted as progress is made. Thanks again for all the help in the past. Looking forward to being an active member again.

John
    Harvest in circles

Hey Av8tor... very cool.

Glad to see your back working it.
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

av8or,

It's good to see you're back on the project.

I've got my fingers crossed that you've came up with some ideas during your break.

Good luck with it.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

John are you south for the season? You'll have to try and stop by on the way back and I'll let you run the mini tank. I can't call it the tank any more since she got her nose job.

Hey Dave,
    I moved down here full time last spring. I would have been up in Oct., but I was still on my "break". The boat is looking good and it looks like it will handle the rapids will. I was looking forward to meeting you this year, but it just wasn't in the cards. Take care of yourself and watch out for the black ice.

John
    Harvest in circles