Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: funny how things work out

Re: funny how things work out

Welcome back John,

That's a good looking rig you've got there. I got to believe it's going to run once you get it tweaked in. I noticed you said you were running a 60x25 prop. That's a bit larger than what I see most VW motors running. What cc is that motor? I can see a dual carb set-up.....

The pictures you posted look exactly how my Tomcat looked when in the water. Sits low in the rear, runs low in the rear. I've got mine apart now and I'm stripping every bit of excess weight out of it I can. I weighed my motor stand, engine and oil cooler and it came up to 230lbs. without the exhaust attached. I'm learning that's a lot of weight for the hp it delivers.

I'm looking forward to seeing your boat progress!

Bruce

Charged thins up and got the vw to turn over. Finally got it running, but only on three cylinders. Will pull all the plugs and see what the summer moisture did to them and check the wires for wear. Next will be the carbs and ensure proper fuel flow. Tomorrow is another day.

John
    Harvest in circles

Well, it seems that a valve was stuck and the stem sheared off. I have the unit over a JT's, but there is a bit of a line in front of me. I will be working on the pontoon boat that seems to have been used and abused for a number of years. I do have a question about the pontoons......there are thin spots on the bottom from both wear and electrical current. Is there anything that might help extend the life of these older aluminum tubes? I love this old boat and want to get a few more years of fishing out of it. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

John
    Harvest in circles