Thread: More Engine Troubles Governor?

More Engine Troubles Governor?

Hi all. I had my boat out tonight. I was able to determine that it is only running on the right cylinder. It runs like a top on just the one, but it is weak and there is a loud exhaust whack. Actually, it seems the left cylinder is idling but cutting out at power.

Strange thing is, sometimes when I stop the motor and restart it, it runs on both jugs for a few seconds. Once, it ran for about 45 seconds on both and that boat was really moving. Then it made an awful metallic whacking and went back to running smoothly on one.

It is making spark on both sides. I noticed that the mechanical governor is not hooked up. This was a brand new engine when we took the boat out last week for the first time. It ran fine for about a mile, and then it started coughing at full throttle. Finally it settled down to running fine at full throttle, though only on one cylinder, and it sometimes backfires at in-between settings, though sometimes it runs fine at all throttle settings, but weak.

I am thinking maybe we stuck a valve or dropped a seat loose. I guess it is still possible that we have an ignition problem. It is maddening! What do you fellows think?

Glen

MAA Vendor

Re: More Engine Troubles Governor?

Hey AIRMAN, What engine do you have? It does sound like a loose valve
    seat. Sometimes the valve seat will drop out and hold the valve open then
    it will pop back in and the engine will run fine. When it starts running on
    one cyl, shut it off and check the compression. If one cyl has no compression,
    then that cyl needs to be pulled. if both cyl's have good compression, then
    check ing. system.
    Chuck