Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scorpy

MAA Vendor

Re: Scorpy

We seem to get the best performance by putting more pitch in the prop and draging the rpm down to 3900. We are using a 1.65 to 1 drive ratio. More prop speed want make it run faster if you don't have much pitch it the prop. I guess when you fall off the torque curve it want get any better.
    Thanks, Chuck

MAA Vendor

We have the undressed engine back on Scorpy and fired it up today. We will get the exhaust on it and the throttle hooked up in the morning. Then the prop. Then we will be ready for the Airboating Magazine Event this Saturday at Turner Fish Camp. When we test it tomorrow, if it runs too hot, we will install a bigger oil cooler.
    [attachment=2:w22db02s]Scorpy Engine 003.jpg[/attachment:w22db02s]
    [attachment=1:w22db02s]Scorpy Engine 004.jpg[/attachment:w22db02s]
    [attachment=0:w22db02s]Scorpy Engine 005.jpg[/attachment:w22db02s]
    We will get a picture of it completed tomorrow.
    Thanks, Chuck

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Chuck,

Gee, Scorpy's engine looks a lot different with her clothes off.

That paint scheme looks great. I just hope that it runs as good as it looks.

It may be a little bit louder than it was the last time I heard it run, but hey, it's a RACE boat.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Watch her close Chuck.... mine ran a little hot... and i didn't watch as close as I should have.... I had a larger oil cooler... went to a finned 8x12 with 4 passes... you may need to go bigger. I will not run my next one w/o the stock cooling fins.

Another recommendation is put a longer hose on the crank case vent and hose it out the back of the boat or your prop will be covered in oil....

I might throw a oil temp gauge in it before we test run it just to be on the safe side

Okay,

I'll ask the stupid question of the day.

Scorpy is a DRAG RACE boat, right?

It'll get started, warmed up a little, get staged, then run as hard as it can, for 400'.

Then it'll run back to the pit area, probably at close to idle speed, and then be shut down for a long time before it needs to do it again.

So why does Scorpy even need an oil cooler? And if it does need one, wouldn't it need a fan cooled oil cooler? The prop won't move enough air to do any real good, except for the few seconds of the race run.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

When we built it, we new they did not have a class for the mini's and they are not holding races now anyway. It's like a billboard sign, to put adds on. So we are going to drive our billboard up and down the river so maybe we do need a bigger oil cooler. We have to show off the Company Names that's on the boat, They are the people that help foot the bill to build the boat.
    If we want it to go over a 100 miles per hr, we can put a 2.0 Ecotec LNK 260 HP on it.
    All we need is a sponsor.
    Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,

That makes sense. I keep forgetting that Scorpy is more billboard than race boat.

Maybe one day it'll be a race boat, but for now it's a fast, pretty, ride boat, which is also a billboard.

So, back to the oil cooler question. How does someone determine what size, and style of oil cooler to use? Or if you even NEED one?

What seems obvious is to run the boat, and measure the oil temp, to get a starting point.

I've been planning to put my oil temp sending unit in one of the drain plugs, only because that's how I saw it on Ron's boat. But after thinking about it, it kinda' makes sense to measure the returning oil temp, after it has been through the external line to the filter, the filter itself, and then back through the other external line to the engine. If it's too high, then a cooler is needed, and I guess could be added in either of the external lines.

Today's stupid question is:

Where is the correct place to measure the oil temp? At the bottom of the oil pan, or in the return line, or maybe somewhere else would be better?

I'll save the sizing the oil cooler question for another stupid question of the day.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

David,

I have an oil temp gauge going on with my Generac Motor.... This one is what I am using...

http://shindypro.com/catalog/each_q_ptype.key23.html

I just don't think the prop will pull enough around the block and heads to keep them cool.... but I may easily be wrong.

MAA Vendor

We like putting the temp sender in the oil pan. If the oil temp gets over 160 degrees, I will shut it down and let it cool. A water temp gauge will work just like an oil temp gauge. The sender don't know what is making it get hot. We plan on putting one on it tomorrow.
    Thanks, Chuck

Yea.... they are all 1/8" NPT Brass Thermowells....

Quote Originally Posted by chuckitt
    We like putting the temp sender in the oil pan. If the oil temp gets over 160 degrees, I will shut it down and let it cool. A water temp gauge will work just like an oil temp gauge. The sender don't know what is making it get hot. We plan on putting one on it tomorrow.
    Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck,

Yeah, my oil temp gauge is also actually a water temp gauge.

Since that seems to be the way to go, I'll drill and tap one of my oil drain plugs to install the sending unit. I guess it makes sense. The oil pump is picking the oil up from the bottom of the pan after all. After going through the pump, external lines, filter, and cooler (if you have one), you might get a misleading reading if it was measured in the return line. But putting the temp sending unit in the bottom of the oil pan may give a better idea of what the oil's max temp is.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

my temp sensor is d/s of the internal pump on the line going to the external oil cooler..... that way I will have the temp of the hot flowing oil.... really gives you a good idea of how hot you are running....

brlcla,

Darn it all ! That makes sense too.

I'll check to see which is the most difficult to install, and go that way.

Actually, what seems to make the most sense would be to measure the oil temp twice. Once when it's coming out of the engine, and then again after the filter/oil cooler, just before it's going back into the engine. That way you'd know how well the cooler is working.

Nah, I ain't gonna do all that. I'll just do it like Chuck suggested.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Measuring the hot oil going too the cooler is the one of the most important temps.... I do not care how well my two coolers are cooling I am looking for the hot running temp.... as long as it does not increase at a radical rate i know my cooler is working effectively.... once the motor is warm and running at speed it should almost stabilize at a good run temp... not too hot not too cold.... that tells me i have a good viscosity lubricating everything.... hot temps i am looking for pre-cooler are usually around 180-220F.... that tells me I have at least 140-180F oil hitting the bearings which is a range for a good viscous oil that will lubricate and not rob HP or cause excessive wear....

Where's the video? (Tapping foot). I just want to see how that thing runs on the water. Duane I took my oil cooler off wen I was changing things around and it got broke. I have no problems even with no cooler. I am going to put one back on one of these days. I probably ran 60 miles today with no problem. I only run 3000 rpm though.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

well... did it run good or run hot?

MAA Vendor

I didn't run it this weekend br, we will install a B&M Supercooler this week. We know how hot it can get without proper cooling. Here is a picture of the cooler we are going to use.
    [attachment=0:19b8firc]Oil Cooler 003.jpg[/attachment:19b8firc]
    Thanks, Chuck