Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Papee's 4A084 engine

MAA Vendor

Papee's 4A084 engine

Papee's 084 engine is almost ready to ship. We are waiting on the prop
    adaptor and the starter/alternator.

Thanks, Chuck

Re: Papee's 4A084 engine

Sure is purty! Looks like I have a lot of work to do to the hull to catch up. I may have to stop fishing so I can get the hull and rigging ready for paint.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

that is a pretty motor looks like a mini aircraft engine , so do these motors do better than the 40 kohlers chuck

MAA Vendor

I don't know how they will perform compared to the 40 Kohler Snapper. We
    haven't run one. I feel sure they will do better with a drive unit. My grandson
    is building Papee's headers now. When he get's through i will take pictures
    and post them.
    Thanks, Chuck

10-4 , what ever happened to the videos of the 116 running dry chuck

MAA Vendor

It was almost dark and you couldn't hardly see it and I haven't had time to
    do another.
    Chuck

Just adding some prop info.
    Tennessee prop 48x24 (MAC Gyro) 3" wide hub, I flew 30 hours with that. Static was 3400rpm and 240lbs thrust.

48x30 that had less chord than the MAC prop (it was for VW). That prop had 245lbs static and 3550rpm.

Looks like I may be in the right ballpark for this engine if I put in the 18 degree shims.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

From Yahoo 4A084 groups
    I called Powerfin a couple of months back.Its a very nice and very low
    mass composite ground adjustable.The engineer I spoke with there said
    that as of then(April)they were not reccomending their props for any
    direct drives becaause of pulse/resonance issues.They said that there
    was not enough mass in the hubs and that the blade roots where they go
    into the hubwere not strong enough to handle the power pulses.I was told
    that they have some major revisions in the blade structure coming up
    sometime this summer and they might be able to offer direct drive
    applications.In the meantime the engineer said that it was best to use
    redrive for the 084 application.In the meantime I'm using a Tennessee
    54/27 for my application.

MAA Vendor

Papee's 084 is ready. Is anyone leaving Florida and going thru PA that
    could take Papee's 084 motor to him. It would save some shipping and
    you would get to meet a super guy. Anywhere close and Papee would meet
    you. Thanks, Chuck

Chuck shipped my 084 on Monday the 25th, it should be here any day now. I sold the 032 last week and pulled it off over the weekend. Guy never showed up to pick up the 032 though I used the measurements from the spec sheets on the 084 and made the changes to my engine stand so it should be mostly "bolt on" from here.

The shippers called today. The motor will be delivered between 10-12 AM tomorrow.

Its a good looking engine i seen it 2 weeks ago at Chucks shop
    Mudmasher-Airboats
    RC Airboats are not just for running around the pond any more.
    htpp://www.Kirkwoodrc.com

I got the motor this morning. Chuck, in the first photo, the oil lines, is there a filter mount or do I have to come up with something for this?

MAA Vendor

Hey Papee, I will ups you one tomorrow. I never even noticed. It was taken off to paint the
    engine. I will look thru other parts and send what I think you might need. Thanks, Chuck

Ok Chuck, I have an oil cooler I'm going to add any way so I'll put it in there to complete it for now so I can test it. I got the motor up on the stand today, my mounts are off so I'll have to cut them off and move them. It's been raining all day at just a slow drizzle so I'll have to wait until it stops so I can weld. When I welded at work sometimes I had to weld in the rain but I choose not to get "the tickle" when I can. I did get the height right on the money.

thats looking good papee

I managed to get all the mounts done. That's all I could manage. After my knee replacement the docs said I'd be good a new but that didn't happen. The arthritis is attacking other places now that I have the titanium knees and it can't attack there. It's getting so bad I can hardly stand again. I'll just do what I can and hopefully I can have it on the water soon. The rest should go more easily.

sorry to hear that about the arthritis paps

You have to take what's dealt to you. I got it started, a few times but it wouldn't stay running. I think the carb float may be hung up from shipping. I'll give it another go tomorrow. That's all the legs I have for today. Chuck I took the plugs out and pulled it over with the rope a few times to try and get gas to the plugs first. I put the plugs back in and it seemed to pull a little easier. At least I'm able to start it now with the rope.

I don't have the throttle hooked up yet so when it starts it races a bit until I can get hold of the throttle linkage. The last time it ran for a while before it shut down so I think I may have the problem solved. I blew over my step ladder in the garage and also blew the attic hatch out. This thing blows some air compared to the old one. I only had the front of the boat on the jack on a few pieces of wood to keep it up so the rain would drain out. It pushed it off the blocks and I went for a ride.

I'll have to move it tomorrow because the exhaust is going in the garage and going through the house. Oop's, the wife came out and I got the look and a good tongue lashing. She says it's too loud to run in the neighborhood and I tried explaining that it was aimed right into the garage and was the reason for it seeming so loud. That and it won't run yet at an idle. I'll probably load it up and take it to the water tomorrow along with some tools. I have a trolling motor so I'll give it a try.

I forgot to charge the camera batteries so no new pics yet.

I had it out for a test today. What a difference! It has some carb issues with the float. I think it's getting stuck. One time I can't get any gas the next time the gas comes out the overflow tube. I'm going to need to go up a few degrees in prop to slow the motor down a bit but I am very happy so far. I may just buy a new carb and put it on.