Thread: pond

pond

I started a new project yesterday evening after I got home from work , I decided to dig a pond so I don't have to go back their and fill up water buckets for the chickens anymore and the ducks will have a place tot throw a party , i'll get my wife to get some pics to show yall how it's coming along . I can't believe how much dirt I moved in such a short amount of time its probably 30 x 20 and about 3 oot deep at the deepest point right now , and still no water seepage , I can't believe it as high as the river is , but I plan on going down as far as I can till I get some seepage from the water table underneath so I don't have to constatntly fill it up , it should get a lot of rain runoff too . any body in here have any pond digging experience , and good advice you can throw my way , have at it this is a first for me ...

Re: pond

are you haveing to build a leve? or you just digging a h big hole
    -Randy

Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Im digging a hole and building around the pond with the dirt I pull out but not all of it most of it I just spread around the yard , chicken yard that is way in the back part of the yard , in case it turns into a scum pond I'll just fill it back in , Im hoping it stays clean but with the ducks I dunno ... anybody got any cheap ideas for a pump to circulate water to keep it fresh and oxygenated ? thought about getting a shallow well dug if I can get it done for cheap enough and just put a float valve to maintain the level . its pouring out here today and all last night so it might be full somewhat already .

went home for lunch and got about 2 foot of water in pond , it rained it's butt off in the last 24 hrs , I'm hoping for a couple more days of rain to fill it the rest of the way up ...

sounds good dude all i know about ponds is if u build a levi your supposed to dig it deeper than the bottem of the pond and u have to pac the dirt on the leve side good or it will wash out.. from the water preasure
    -Randy

yeah well I really didn't build a levee I just built the ground up around the whole pond maybe a foot and graded it away from the pond except on the back side of the pond , where I kinda left one corner a little lower than everywhere else to try and catch runoff form the rain and when its full I still have about 10 yards of dirt to level that area off with the rest of it , I'll try and get some pic's when the sun comes back out and it dries out some , so you can see what I am talking about , its a slop hole back their right now ... mama's already trying to take over back there now , before I couldn't hardly even get her to come back their , and now she's all talking about landscaping around it and planting trees and flowers , and I'm like , , , Baby whose chicken yard is this anyway , now she wants me to fence off a little area to keep the chickens in and keep them away from the pond , which their the whole reason I built the thing in the first place , If anyone in here has figured out women let me know cause I still can't figure out mine even after 15 years w/ her ... shes like the army corp of engineers is around here , going around and seeing a piece of ground she likes and just claiming it , yeah I like that pond , nice job looks really good , I'll take it !!!!! where's the justice in my life guy's ....

level came up another 6 inches in pond today with the rain , seems to be maintaining level also but it is still wet so we shall see when the sun comes back out

haha sounds to me like u need to build her one of those goldfish ponds with the water fall and flowers all around with some gold fish in it...
    -Randy

yeah she alreay has a little one something like that up by the house , shes just wanting tme to get rid of the chickens and the stink from them and make it all pretty and girly but I don't do pretty and girly not in my area that area is off limits to mama and her girlpower creations she gets the front acre I get the back acre , no what I mean vern ...

hey randy , the ponds just about full now and it seems to be holding water pretty good , I don't think I'm losing any into the ground just evaporation , it poured last night and it's almost to the top about one more foot to go ...

MAA Vendor

I know what ya mean vern. Chuck

ya like that huh chuck , I used to love ol vern when I was younger ...