Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just ordered my new prop today

Re: I just ordered my new prop today

Yes, I have to get on the turbo deal because I don't like my boat being down in fishing season. The old "if it ain't broke don't fix it " deal. I'd hate to miss a day fishing.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I did some more testing this morning, just for the hell of it, I took off the trolling motor and front seat. I never realized how much that stuff weighs. Between those things and the anchor I usually have on the bow it's like a small person sitting right on the bow at just over 100 pounds. The boat got right up on plane with the 12 degree blocks in but it's running a little slow so I think I'll put in some 11's and head back out. I was going to change down at the river but my legs are just not strong enough yet. The river is pretty swift right now because of all the rain we've been having upstate.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Hey Papee,

I've got my 4A084, and have one of Chuck's Mini Pro 116 hulls ordered. And he's also holding one of the Arrowprop reduction drives that he has on hand for me.

Before long, I'll need to get serious about a prop. I've looked, and read, and the more I look and read, the more confused I get.

I want my boat to perform well, at both low and high speed, while being relatively quiet. From what I've read, 3 bladed props are quieter than 2 bladed props, and produce more thrust. More thrust makes sense to me. Quieter does not. I don't understand why, but it doesn't matter. I'll acccept it.

I'm pretty sure that I want an adjustable pitch prop, so that I can fine tune it, and not spend a fortune experimenting.

The last I've seen from you concerning this, is that you were happy with Competion Aircraft's 3 bladed composite prop. But that was a while back.

If I understand correctly, I'll be looking for a 60" diameter, about 30" pitch prop.

Please update me.

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Hey Duane the 60 30 prop is to small for the 084 and if you decide to go with the solex carb you might need a 60 38 but when you come down we can talk to you about that

All good questions Duane. The testing I have done was all using a direct drive setup. The choice in props will be different for your reduction setup. I was running a 52 in prop in these experiments starting out with a modified 18 HP motor. With the new wave of 084 engines popularity we're just beginning to find out just what the motors can do. The experimenters, the aircraft guys, have been using these motors for a while but they can't modify and challenge these motors like we can on the water.

For the guy that likes to upkeep his own motor these are the perfect choice, they are easy to work on and the parts are cheap. They are also pretty darn reliable. I ran mine almost the full season here last year with a weak cylinder. Chuck is the best source for the reduction drive setup there is right now, he has done the most experimenting in that area.

Just to add some more info here, after talking to Don at Arrow Props, 52 in is about the biggest you can go on a direct drive setup. I have ordered a two blade wood prop from him to test the motor with a two blade before I sell it and start my new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Hey Duane the 60 30 prop is to small for the 084 and if you decide to go with the solex carb you might need a 60 38 but when you come down we can talk to you about that
    David,

I'll hold off on any prop decisions for a while. 60 38? Wow. This whole prop/reduction drive/engine thing is voodoo.

BTW, thanks for all of your help.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Papee,

I've read so many things lately that I get confused. I was thinking that you'd already gone to a reduction drive. My mistake.

I "think" that I need to plan on going with a wide, 3 blade, adjustable prop, and a reduction drive. One of my primary goals is that my boat not be loud enough to raise complaints.

If I can do that without a reduction drive, I'd be O.K. with that. But if I understand correctly, a large, slow, high pitch prop is the key to relative quiet.

Thanks,

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by Papee
    All good questions Duane. The testing I have done was all using a direct drive setup. The choice in props will be different for your reduction setup. I was running a 52 in prop in these experiments starting out with a modified 18 HP motor. With the new wave of 084 engines popularity we're just beginning to find out just what the motors can do. The experimenters, the aircraft guys, have been using these motors for a while but they can't modify and challenge these motors like we can on the water.

For the guy that likes to upkeep his own motor these are the perfect choice, they are easy to work on and the parts are cheap. They are also pretty darn reliable. I ran mine almost the full season here last year with a weak cylinder. Chuck is the best source for the reduction drive setup there is right now, he has done the most experimenting in that area.

Just to add some more info here, after talking to Don at Arrow Props, 52 in is about the biggest you can go on a direct drive setup. I have ordered a two blade wood prop from him to test the motor with a two blade before I sell it and start my new boat.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

If you stay with the 60 inch prop with a warp drive you can do a 4 blade bowtie but if you stay with wood it will be cheaper then the carbon fibers

What made you decide on the 52" 3 blade?
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade