Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Home made rudder Project

MAA Vendor

Re: My Home made rudder Project

Hey airhead, our rudders are 36h x 20w and the pivot point is 4.5 inches from the leading edge. The steering tab bolt should be no more than 1 inch in front of the leading edge. The closer it is to the leading edge, the more rudder angle you can get.
    Thanks, Chuck

Airhead,

I understand you not wanting to use any wood. I used it because it was available, cheap, and easy to use. If I have trouble later on, I'll just replace it.

My boat drives fine, as far as the rudders go. I know there a little smaller than they should be, but I used the material I had on hand. I may build bigger rudders later on. I have not had much running time yet, just a couple test runs, but they seem to me to work OK. I mounted them a bit farther apart than most people do, maybe that helped???

You may notice that the pivot is right at the front, and the tie rod is four or five inches back. I didn't know if that would cause hard steering or not, but It turns easy.

Hope that helps,

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Thanks Buster and Chuck,

It would be nice to pick up the phone and say, "hey Chuck i need some rudders". But I can't do that right now. But i will say Chuck, you will not be forgotten for your help. A lot of people in business will not help because they want you to buy theirs.

Thanks again,

Jim

What goes around comes around. May God bless you

Papee,

You stated that you use fiberglass mat in your rudders. Is one layer of mat enough or should i use a layer of cloth also? Also what type foam do you use? I will be using resin with hardner from the parts store and don't want to melt the mold.

Thanks

I used Styrofoam insulation and shaped it like they do surf boards with an electric knife and a belt sander then put on 1 layer of matting and applied the resin.

edit: I sprayed the foam with primer before putting on the matting so the foam didn't melt.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

OK

I have been trying to find the correct foam to form rudders from. The only thing i can find locally is the regular styrofoam (with little pebbles) and polystyrene. The polyester resin ( like you find at Home Depot and auto parts ) melts both. Do I need the two part resin or

Papee; I tried enamel primer and it melts it also. What do you use?

Buster; I should have listened to you and used aluminum but as i stated earlier I need to practice this forming with foam but first i need to find the right foam

Hey Papee,

After I posted today i had a "brain pain" and i decided that you were talking about a water base primer. Sooo i painted some regular old styrofoam with some Kilz water base. I am going to let it dry overnight and put some resin on. I hope this is what you meant by spraying on primer. If this works i will nominate you for genius of the year I did some of this foam forming years ago and still have a home made hot knife made from a hack saw. i think i used a battery charger for power Hey CRS happens I just dont want to have a SNAFU. If anyone has ANY input PLEASE reply. I am close to doing a trial run on this "thing" I am building and the rudders are my main concern right now.

The reason i say "thing" i am building is because i am probably doing some things that are unusual for an airboat. I just hope the darn thing will move in the water. I will be posting pictures later but for now every minute counts. My wife has a birthday this weekend and we are going to stay on the river for a week. So am busting my B%$#@ to get it finished.

Thanks to all for the help.

Jim

MAA Vendor

If i remember right, you need a high densidy foam. Some fiberglass suppliers should have it and the resin want melt it. One brand was Devinseal, if i spelled it right.
    Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

I finally got all the answers. If anyone needs info let me know.

Got to run now,

Jim