Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Home made rudder Project

My Home made rudder Project

I've seen a few threads around on making rudders. I am almost able to stand for a while now after my knee replacements so I am getting the materials together to make a new set for my boat using plans for ones I made in the past. The rudder I will be building is made from the following materials:
    One length of 1/2 conduit
    one piece of luan used for strength
    Two pieces of 1 inch styrofoam insulation
    Fiberglass matting and related materials

I attach the luan to the conduit, then sandwich the luan between the two pieces of styrofoam insulation. Then I shape the insulation using an electric knife, belt and orbital sander. I then cover the shape with the fiberglass matting, finish and paint. I'll be doing this as a how to project in a few days as I'm able to stand, taking plenty of photos as I go. I've made a few of these in the past and feel it is a project anyone with basic tools can do.
    I'll also be doing a few other how to's also as I get my legs back.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: My Home made rudder Project

Hey Pappy,

Did you ever get around to taking those pictures?

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

imported_Papee

My camera went bad when I did the rudders, I'll do another set when I have some time and take some photos.

Papee,

I hope to soon be at the rigging building stage, and figure that I need to at least know the dimensions of the rudders I'll be using. And of course, I'll eventually need to either build or buy rudders. That's why I was asking.

It sounds like you build airfoil rudders, which as far as I can tell from what I've been able to find, is the way to go.

When I go pick up the hull from Chuck (don't know when yet) I'm sure that I can learn a lot about how I need to do it.

I'll go back and look at your pictures again now. I've looked at so many things in so many different places that I get confused. So much of what I find is for big boats that I have to filter it in my mind. Sometimes, I overfilter.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I for one would like to see those rudders Papee. I am getting close to that point on my build.
    I have been advised by the dealer I bought both my Hulls from, to go with the same size Rudders ( 2' X 4' ) that I used on my big boat, on my Mini Also.
    Seems like overkill to me. What do you think of three rudders on a mini, as long as I am on a roll??? Maybe they could be a little smaller? I was thinking a little taller and a bit shorter front to back, What do you think?

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

MAA Vendor

Hey Buster, The Aluminum Airfoil Rudders we use are 36 inches tall and 20 inches wide. The bubble in the airfoil is about 1.5 inch to 2 inch depending on who builds them for me. This is the best size we have we have found for the mini's. The 2X4 would be way too big and would weigh too much also. We don't use foam in the mini rudders, It adds too much weight. After it is welded, we install rivets on the back edge to keep the fused edge from cracking. The way Papee is talking about making them with foam board and fiberglass is a good way to make them and is lite weight also. Dick Hoffmann's boat that went over 130 miles per hour had hand made rudders. They now are on the # 5 boat that will be run in the next airboat races on April 25th.
    Thanks, Chuck

Thanks for clearing that up Chuck, it is much closer to what I had in mind in the first place. I sure hope papee can get his camera going soon. I kinda understand what he is explaining, but like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!
    Dave

Chuck,

How much do you sell these rudders for, and could you have a set ready by April 4th?

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

Hey Duane, the set of aluminum rudders are $ 300.00. We could have a set ready. I will get a set ready anyway and you can make up your decide when you see them. Thanks, Chuck

imported_Papee

Hey Buster, as you may have seen by some of my posts, I march to the beat of a different drummer than most. I got a new camera since that project but I'll have to find time to do another set. Those rudders are not on my boat. I'm still running the same ones that came with my boat. If you notice, I run a right handed steering setup also on my boat. My mom always said I was different. If I were a rich man I'd be calling Chuck about a boat then just have him call me when it's done.

Hey Papee,
    I think we may be using the same drummer I also put the controls on the right side on my big boat, The only boat I ever drove much before was my Dad's Inboard with RH controls. It just seemed to me that is where the driver belongs!
    If my wallet was full, I too would just order a turnkey boat from Chuck, although I do get some satisfaction in doing it for myself

Papee,

I was wondering if you are close to making up a set of those rudders yet?

I will be starting mine any time now, and I could use some pic's to go by. You said you use an electric knife to shape the styrefoam. Did you mean an electric kitchen knife, or a hotwire knife? I don't have either, so I want to get the right one!

Thanks, Dave

You'll know what i want already i'm sure. :P Duane did you buy your from chuck or What about you buster As usual any photos and help is appreciated. I sent Chuck an e-mail for a price on a 116 but haven't got a reply yet. I got to have a hull but i can build rudders. Heck i might just weld some up and put fabric on them Has anyone seen this or is there too much prop wash? I'm happy to read about the right hand controls I thought i was going to be odd.

Jim

P.S. Talked to River Rat on the phone this morning, we need to punch him a little and get him started

MAA Vendor

Hey Airhead, I didn't see your email about the 116 hull but They cost $ 1895.00. Due to the distance you would have to come to get it, we can help by making it $ 1795.00. It could be picked up about 120 miles north of here. You can call me at 352-330-1015.
    Thanks, Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by airhead
    You'll know what i want already i'm sure. :P Duane did you buy your from chuck or What about you buster As usual any photos and help is appreciated. I sent Chuck an e-mail for a price on a 116 but haven't got a reply yet. I got to have a hull but i can build rudders. Heck i might just weld some up and put fabric on them Has anyone seen this or is there too much prop wash? I'm happy to read about the right hand controls I thought i was going to be odd.

Jim

P.S. Talked to River Rat on the phone this morning, we need to punch him a little and get him started
    Airhead,

I bought my hull from Chuck. I also bought a Magic Tilt trailer from him.

I drove down there to pick it up, and spent all day one Saturday at Chuck's shop. The things I learned that one day was worth the trip, but I also got to bring home my baby.

Taken at Chuck's shop:

Taken when I got home:

Taken a couple of weeks ago:

I'll get there someday. Gonna' have 4 day weekend, without other commitments, for the 4th of July. Hopefully, I'll get something done then.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Airhead,

I did not buy my Hull from Chuck. I wanted the Mini Pro 116, but I don't have the big bucks like Duane does I happened to find an Aircat, about the same dimensions as the 116, but probably about thirty five years older Also, about two thousand miles closer to home!

Dave

MAA Vendor

The right hand steering is OK as long as when you push the stick forward, the boat goes to the left. If it goes to the right, it will be un-natural and would be hard to get use to.
    We use to have fun with the go-carts. We would hook up the steering so when you turned left, it would go to the right. We would see who could drive thru a road course and not go off the track. Just when you think you got it mastered, in the ditch.
    Thanks, Chuck

Papee,

I sure wish you could have done the rudder project. I will be needing rudders in a few days and still haven't decided which way to go but am leaning toward the fiberglass. I understand most of how to do it but don't quite understand how the luan is used. Also i think Chuck or someone stated that a 20x30 inch was a good size. Also, how critical is the distance between the rudders and the placement of the pivot point?

If anyone would be willing to share some ideas it would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else, pictures are great.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Airhead,

If you want to check out an easy, quick home made rudder project, you might take a look at page 8, of "Rebuilding an Aircat". It is under BUILDS.

Dave

Thanks Buster,

I really like your rudders but i am favoring fiberglass for two reasons. #1 i would like to keep wood out of the equasion. #2 I haven't worked with fiberglass in many years and need the practice. I considered using fabric like we do on planes NAW too easy and they will get a hole punched in them quick. But Buster I would appreciate knowing how your boat dives. My main concern is the distance to the pivot and the size of the rudders. I am not a virgin to building "things' but this airboat adventure is new I am kinda like a kid with it because I really think I will love the boat and i know i love to fish. My boat is different and i will post pictures soon. I degress

Thanks to all,

Jim