Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My rigging

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: My rigging

Chuck and Papee,

Thanks. I guess I'll be looking for a little more expensive rig than I had in mind.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

I'm glad i found this site for two reasons. Good info and reading Duane's questions makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one thats's not bashful . Hey, i always say there is no stupid question when you are learning.

Jim

Papee.
    The pictures of the blue boat: that appears to be a direct drive prop how long was the boat and how did it perform? oh I guess the HP matters too.

Airhead that's the same boat I have now. It's gone through many color changes.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by airhead
    I'm glad i found this site for two reasons. Good info and reading Duane's questions makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one thats's not bashful . Hey, i always say there is no stupid question when you are learning.

Jim

Yeah, I've never been called bashful.

My Daddy used to say that the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. "If you don't ask questions, then you will be stupid."

I figure that the primary purpose of a forum like this is to learn, and share. I like to learn, and I enjoy sharing.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Anybody have a brand name for this blue stripe or inch mark thin wall EMT?

Is Allied a good brand? While I'm welding up the SRD I thought I might run a stick or two on the tubing.

No sense in fooling around with the cheap stuff but I cant tell the cheap stuff from the good/ ///
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

Wildfowl,

I used EMT from Menards, which is the cheapest place around here to get it. I don't remember seeing a brand name, or any inch markings on it though, but it seemed to work good for me.

I'm not sure there is much quality difference in EMT

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Wildfowl,

Back several months ago, I found it at my local Lowes home improvement store. IIRC, it had "Inch Mark" printed on it. I don't know who actually makes it though.

I decided to build my rigging from SS, but I did buy a couple of sticks of the "Inch Mark" to practice my bending on.

I think that those may still be in my junk pile. I'll look tomorrow morning, and let you know what's actually printed on it.

But I think Buster has it right, there's probably not much difference from one brand to another....

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Thanks guys...

The only reason I am asking is because Chuck thought the one was a lot easier to weld and well.... that right there would be enough to compel me to hunt some down.
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfowl

The only reason I am asking is because Chuck thought the one was a lot easier to weld and well.... that right there would be enough to compel me to hunt some down.
    That's as good a reason as I can think of....

I'll let you know tomorrow morning... It's cold, raining, and dark out there now.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Wildfowl,

I dug through my pile of "stuff", and found the EMT. Whatever once was printed on it is now long gone. I'm pretty sure it said "Inch Mark" though.

I guess they must have used water based ink.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Thanks for looking Duane.

I did pour some muriatic acid on a stick yesterday and galvanized coating go by-by.
    Mike - Eastern NE

I always use a Little stick welder to weld my conduit then I don't have to worry about the coating but I've been a stick welder all my life and still rarely use the mig. If I could just see that would be a big help.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,
    What size sticks do you use? What seting do you use? I been using a mig, but would like to give my stick welder a try on EMT. I only have 1/8 inch rods 6013's. I figured that would be way to thick a rod to use.
    Bogger
    Boat specs:
    Hull, 116 fiberglass
    Bottom, Frog spit
    Motor, Rotax 532 dual carb
    65 ponies to push with
    Reduction, 2.58/1
    Prop, IVO 62in.3blade adjustable
    Rigging, 0.5 and 0.75 emt

All still under construction

That would be good info to know....

I have been playing with the 6013 and 7014(I think that is the 70 #) in 1/16.

The 70's seem to work better but not sure that is the right one to use for strength.

Best amps and type of feed would be good to know... deep/force/reverse ground???

No brand info yet so I will just have to stack em side by side and take a look. There is a lot of difference in appearance thats for sure. I suspect a fed spec or ASE type rating might help out in the comparison?
    Mike - Eastern NE

MAA Vendor

We use the mig so we dont have to use a welding shield. We have learned to hide the arc behind the nozzle so it don't burn our eyes. Then we have the current a little hot so we can spot-weld it. We get the complete rigg tack welded and remove it from the hull, then we weld it up. We have gotten fast at this.
    Thanks, Chuck

If i were going to weld it with stick, i would use the 7014 on galvnized material. It is a shollow penetration rod. We were tested and approved to use the 7014 on the parachute rigging tower at Pope Airforce Base in NC and the weld plates inbeded in the concrete were galvanized.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bogger2
    Papee,
    What size sticks do you use? What setting do you use? I been using a mig, but would like to give my stick welder a try on EMT. I only have 1/8 inch rods 6013's. I figured that would be way to thick a rod to use.
    Bogger
    I use 6013s in my little 110v set at about 60. I just tack them then go back and finish. It's all about what you're use to. I'm sure I would use the mig more if I had used it more in my work. Actually I use the little 100v deal for most stuff. My other welder is a gas job and I don't care for the noise or them fumes. The mig never has anything in the bottle, maybe that's why I don't use it LOL

Like I say, it's just a choice, what ever you are use to welding with. I also don't spend much time cleaning the pieces most times, I just weld through the rust. Maybe if I had the money for new materials Take note that my boat is OLD.