Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My rigging

My rigging

I chose to use materials on hand which was some pipe. I chose to bend it because bent corners are stronger than welded corners so I needed less bracing. In this pic it wasn't quite finished. I added more bracing to the engine stand after this was taken.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

MAA Vendor

Re: My rigging

That looks good Dave. Looks light. I would put one cross brace under the engine to make it more twice as strong.
    Chuck

Yea that was a pic from back when I was building it. I have lower braces on it' The battery is mounted on the next set of braces.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I like the light weight "foot prop" that was a good idea didn't even know they sold airboat parts at home depot
    -Randy

Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Jr
    I like the light weight "foot prop" that was a good idea didn't even know they sold airboat parts at home depot
    LOL, I actually ended up using an aluminum threshold, not the one in the pic but a wider one. Use what ya have, I was in commercial construction most of my life.

I answered a young mans post inquiring about cages on SA and I figured I'd post it here to to help new people see how it is done, well at ;east how I d it.

From SA
    There are different ways to build a cage depending on skill and equipment available. My cage is built from 3/4 conduit. I first built my rigging, seat and engine mount, then started the cage. I figured the size of prop needed the made sure I had a 3 inch clearance everywhere between the prop cage and hull.

The main hoop shown below can be bent using formulas or on a jig, I have a friend in the business so I took the conduit to him and he bent my main hoop.

After the main hoop was bent, I then figured the braces I would need that would connect the main hoop to the front cage hoop which is part of my rigging. I bent these pieces using an electricians hand conduit bender. These are the pieces in yellow below. After they wer tack welded into place I measured each secondary hoop section, these are shown in red. Everything was tacked in place first then welded completely after I made sure of correct fit.

The rudder is connected to the cage at the top and the hull at the bottom. You can look through the galleries here and find a good view of the rudder. I sure you don't want us to do all your work for you.

The last pic also shows the 2x4 wire mesh used to cover the cage. A cage should last a good 10-15 years or more depending on the location , how it is stored, etc.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

It's me again Papee,

That was an informative how-to. Thank you.

I told you I'd ask dumb questions, so here I go again. Please understand that I'm not critisizing, I'm asking questions to learn.

It appears that your main hoop, and your secondary hoop are about the same size and radius.

It seems logical to me to make both of them identical. And then make the front cage hoop a scaled down copy of those. From there, I'd think that the braces between the front hoop and the secondary hoop could all be identical, with no bending required. Then the braces between the main hoop and the secondary hoop could all also be identical, with no bending required again.

What I just described seems to me to be less work. Please teach me.

BTW, this morning I went to take a look at a "for sale" airdrive, and its secondary hoop was bigger than the main hoop. I'm still scratching my head about that. The prop was centered between the hoops and had about 3 inches of clearance in all directions. The seller had bought it used from someone else who'd bought it used, etc. Not many answers there.

Thanks,
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

So, what do most people use to build thier rigging?

RIGID conduit?
    EMT conduit?
    Black iron pipe?
    DOM tubing?

There are lots of cost / workabilty / weight differences.

So, which is the best compromise?

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

EMT is what we use. On the 084 boats we use all 1/2 inch. Here is a picture.

Completed Boat.
    Thanks, Chuck

Thank you Chuck,

I was hoping EMT would be the answer because it's light, cheap, readily available, and easy to work with.

I've never tried welding EMT though. I wonder if it wouldn't braze better than say, trying to use a wire welder. I have what it takes for brazing, but would have to buy/borrow a wire welder. (Plus re-learn how to use it)

What do you guys use?

I was also wondering if it's strong enough. Looks like it must be with enough cross bracing.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Use the blue stripe emt or what they call inch mark emt it dont have the galvanized coating on it

MAA Vendor

We use a mig welder. I have seen many that were brazed but the mig is so fast when you learn how to spot weld it. We hide the arc behind the nozzle and don't even use a welding hood. Some people can't do it without burning their eyes. It's plenty strong when the structure is designed to transfer the load through the rigg.
    Thanks, Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Use the blue stripe emt or what they call inch mark emt it dont have the galvanized coating on it
    O.K., I'll check that out. I'm not familar with it, but will look into it.

Thanks,

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Quote Originally Posted by chuckitt
    We use a mig welder. I have seen many that were brazed but the mig is so fast when you learn how to spot weld it. We hide the arc behind the nozzle and don't even use a welding hood. Some people can't do it without burning their eyes. It's plenty strong when the structure is designed to transfer the load through the rigg.
    Thanks, Chuck
    Thanks Chuck. I've been wanting an excuse to buy a MIG welder. Thanks. I'll tell Pam that YOU told me that I NEED one. I bet that will go a long way.

I'll just have to practice a bit.

I can braze a Cocker Spaniel to a Persian Cat. Well, maybe an alley cat.

I used to do pretty good with TIG on aluminum. But that's been a while. I guess that I can figure out MIG. LOL, I'm not a welder, I'm an electrcal engineering tech. I understand the concept, but don't have the experience, at least not on the thin stuff..

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

An electrician makes the best welders. They understand control of voltage, current and resistance. You will do fine.
    Chuck

I'm staying out of the whole brazing or welding deal. he he

Chuck,

I've been looking around at MIG welders. Seems like most low end true MIG welders (not flux core wire) have 4 fixed voltage/current settings. The best deal that I've located was a Hobart 125 (NOT the 125EZ) called "the Handler", model 500487. It has 4 voltage settings, but variable wire speed.

Seems to me like variable voltage/current would be a big plus for the thin stuff, but they get very expensive.

What do you guys use? What do I need?

Thanks,
    Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Quote Originally Posted by David
    I ran across a stick of blue stripe / inch mark EMT today at work. It "looked" like it was galvanized. (Our standards require that we use RIGID for power, but the IT folks can get away with EMT.)

So if blue stripe / inch mark EMT isn't galvanized, what is it?

Thanks,
    Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

If you go with a small welder, it needs to be at least a 175 amp. Lincoln makes a good one, I think around 7 or 8 hundred. The blue stripe conduit is galv., but a better quality and is not hot dipped like the cheap stuff. It is easy to weld compared to the cheap emt. Chuck

Keep in mind that the more welder you buy the more you will use it. I wouldn't shop around for a welder with a "this is all I need" attitude, if you end up with a smaller welder you are limited to what you can weld. I'm an old stick guy so I have my stick welders long before I decide to get a mig. I have all Lincoln stuff, a 220 stick, a 110 ac, and mig. Being an old coot it's hard to get me away from the stick. I use my small ac stick for my rigging welding but if you're not already a stick guy, mig is the way to go. I would also look for a push pull gun so you can weld with alum wire while you're shopping.