PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Metal Break

Bart
05-31-2020, 04:09 AM
As I started to look at the parts and pieces for a consul. It looks like time to fab up a custom one. with just a little more electronics, I was needing more space.
after looking to see what others have done to make a DIY sheet metal break, This was one of the simplest tools I have made in a while.
still need to finish the clamping part, but a C-clamp worked great in the meantime.
deciding how long to make it... so I kept it short at having 32" of usable bend.
It worked great for the 1/8 aluminum. and at the moment used a 15" crescent wrench as a lever.
I also used a couple of commercial door hinges. for the pivot points. and some 3" structural aluminum channel for the rest..

Corky
06-04-2020, 07:05 PM
I've been eyeing a harbor freight brake for some time now...I keep thinking I don't need it but I keep running into situations where the "clamp and bend" homemade stuff takes way more time doing it than it should...:wink:

Papee
06-05-2020, 01:47 PM
I've been wanting to do a brake for a few years now. I've youtubed it a good many times but never started. I always want to wait for that perfect build. So far I like the ones that use fabbed heavy hinges(steel).

Another month and I'll be done remodeling our investment property and I'll be able to get some garage time in.