PDA

View Full Version : slick magneto

bgmcl60
08-31-2017, 11:50 PM
no one has posted any procedures on reassembling and installing a slick mag for some time. let me give it a try.
Step 1- turn engine until no 1 cyl comes up on tap dead center compression stroke.
step 2- remove governor cover plate. look to see if the marks on mag gear and cam
gear line up if not turn engine to line them up.
step 3- mark the location of the mag gear to the mag body.
step 4-remove mag retaining bolt on right side. back out on retaining bolt on
left side so mag will clear.
step 5- remove mag. disconnect plug wires from plugs.
you want to remove it all as an assembly.
step 6- remove plug wire cover 3 screws.
make sure no corrosiom is in the plug wire towers on the cap.
step 7 remove 4 screws holding top half of mag on.
step 8- remove cover being careful not to damage wire connected to points.
step 9- check point gap look for dirty points or pitted.
step 10- clean or replace if needed. there will be 2 screws that hold the rotor on.
also the distributor cap. make note which way the retainer came off.with the 2 screws it can be put on backwards.
step 11- if it looks good no cracks carbon traces or corrosion put it back together.
step 12- you will notice the rotor has 2 holes in the top also the distributor cap has 2 holes.
they also have a letter by the hole an R or an L.
step 13- find a dril bit small enough to go in these holes.
step 14- place a drill bit in the hole mafked R and turn rotor until the bit drops down through the rotor.
at this point the rotor is indexed to be placed on mag while it is being held at the top dead center mark
you put on the body. remember to attach the short wire going to the points
reassemble top half and temporarily push all the wires back into the cap. maybe 1 screw to hold them.
step 15-find no 1 sparkplug wire and install a plug on the end.
step 16- make sure no i plug is grounded to mag case and turn until no 1 plug fires and back up the mag gear to rengage coupler.
try it again if no 1 fires again you done it right.
step 17- put the mag back on the engine and align the to marks and set to level with engine and your done

Corky
09-01-2017, 12:22 AM
I appreciate you sharing the procedure for this magneto !!;thumb;...

bgmcl60
09-01-2017, 07:58 AM
once you have the top half off you can see 2 gears 1 on the mag a small plastic gear and the larger is the rotor that has to be in time before putting the top half back on. that is what the drill bit is for. it has 2 screws holding it and you can lift the rotor out and expose the cap contacts and the cap can be replaced. if your mag won't fire it has to go on engine on tdc to line up the timing marks then the mag gear can be marked with a reference mark or the top half can be installed with drill bit in the R side of the mag it won't line up on the L side. not sure the small white gear can be installed backward. the mag has a slotted shaft it fits on so don't take it of unless you mark location on shaft. it has a black mark on top of the gear. when you have all together nothing inside the mag will turn while the gear is against the coupler until you turn the cam gear the coupler snaps forward to make the engine fire better at low rpm's set the top of mag flat with engine and all should be good. if you need to time it with a timing light bart has posted a great description on how that is done with no timing marks to see.

Corky
09-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Well, I've added an NOS slick magneto to my parts stash so I'll help add to this thread by posting the instruction sheet that came in the box...;thumb;