PDA

View Full Version : Prop Clutch?

Nukewater
04-09-2016, 06:14 PM
TLDR: Do you feel a clutched prop would be beneficial?

Long Version: On my Powered Parachute, the prop coupled through a gearbox, so as soon as the engine fires up, the prop is spinning. That being said, it immediately wants to move forward, even at idle. So it needs to be propped up against a wall in order to warm up. I have the ability in my build to incorperate the snowmobile clutch or a belt tensioner clutch. Do you guys find that you enjoy having a clutch or wish you had one? Or maybe they aren't even beneficial? It is MORE work to incorperate it, but its the biggest annoyance on my plane, I though i would try and rectify that on this build.

Corky
04-09-2016, 06:31 PM
I can see where one would be beneficial in certain applications...On my mini it idles very low and there's not much forward thrust at idle...But that's not to say you would'nt need a clutch for a different set up depending on the engine and prop..

Coyotes-R-Us
04-10-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm with you.
I'm still plan on using a snowmobile clutch drive .
When I'm floating down the river at night spotlighting raccoon I want to run t moto to run big lights and not
have the Pro turning

Papee
04-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Experimenting is great, without that we won't progress in our hobby. I've thought about this also at one point. The problem I had while thinking about it is the loss in low rpm performance. My thoughts were that I would lose the lower rpm/idle and up to where the clutch kicked in. I start my boat to move around a lot while fishing. If I have it right, would mean I would have to rev the engine to the stall of the clutch.

Nukewater
04-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Thats a good point, you could never idle around. So for this build i think i'll scrap the snowmobile clutch, and still try the engage/disengage idler pulley