PDA

View Full Version : New to airboats getting ready for my first build!

Jroark78
10-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Thanks for having me and for sharing the wealth of knowledge that you guys have! I have won a government auction and got like 6 4ao32 engines and 2 2ao42 engines still trying to figure out what engine I will go with. l

aerokirk
10-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the site! I would recommend going with the most HP you can .... with mini-airboats you need all you can get. JMO

Jroark78
10-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks Aerokirk, I have a question. When deciding on a prop and maybe later on I get my hands on an 084 could the same prop be used if I got something with a adjustable pitch?

aerokirk
10-09-2015, 07:59 PM
While adjustable props allow for some variation in pitch settings they are matched to a given HP/RPM configuration so I don't think it would be a good fit for another engine unless the HP and RPM range is fairly close. Another consideration would be if a future setup includes a reduction drive, in which case the prop would be sized quite a bit differently. Check with Papee on which prop you would need for your 032 or 042 as he is quite knowledgable on these. I would guess a wood prop would be a good choice if you're going direct drive as it's cheaper and works quite well if it's sized correctly.

Papee
10-09-2015, 08:49 PM
The choice between a 032 and 042 would be a tough one. The 042 uses the same Pistons as the 084 but it is a twin cyl. The 032 is a smaller engine but it is a 4 cyl. I had a 032 on my boat while I was getting together parts for my 084. My boat was 16ft at that time with the 5' bottom. I ran it direct drive with a 3 blade composite prop and it did plane out at times but it was very hard and didn't stay up in deep water. I really think the 032 would have done better with a two blade wooden prop. I still have that motor and hope some day to do something with it, maybe put together a small boat for my grandson. He's 13 now and is pretty good at operating my boat.

On the other hand I have seen the 042 used on some light aircraft. I have no experience with that motor. Whatever you choose have fun and welcome to the site.

Jroark78
10-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Guys thanks so much for your time and knowledge! Papee I think I am going to usd the 032 for now being I have more of those engines and there is so much more info out there on them. I am not a speed demon by no means just wanna build this with my dad and mainly play and putt around on a very shallow lake that we fish on. Do you know what prop you was using on your 032 when you had it together?

Corky
10-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Hello and welcome to the site !! ;thumb; I saw in another thread you asked about using a single sheet of aluminum for your build...Are you looking to bend the sheet without welding ???

Papee
10-10-2015, 12:13 PM
I was using a three blade ultra prop but I don't remember what pitch blocks were in it. I think they were 12s.

Jroark78
10-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks papee, corky I was gonna weld to it to make connections

Corky
10-11-2015, 11:52 AM
OK...I used a total of three sheets on my build {5ftX10FT}...I'm not sure what the biggest sheet dimensions are available but they sell bigger sheets than I used...