PDA

View Full Version : 084 sending units ?

Corky
10-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Hello everyone...
As I'm gathering parts for my mini build and re-reading all the info on the 084 builds..... In researching the gauges being used there seems to be a lack of info on exactly what needs to happen with the 084's original sending units...
Since the Faria gauges seem to be popular let's use them as an example...
I've read up on the fact there's an american standard value for each marine gauge sending unit{which actually carries over to the automotive gauges to a degree}...This means each gauge manufacturer's gauges/sending units could be swapped out and still hold the accuracy from brand to brand....Here's a link to a chart for the american{and european} sending unit resistance values... http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0085E.pdf

Now for the real world questions regarding the 084 for the guys that have done this...And assuming the change to the 12V system....

A} Does the factory oil pressure sending unit need to be changed out to use a marine gauge ???
B}What needs to be done for a marine water/oil temp gauge sender when added ???
C} Is the factory low oil pressure shut-off switch still capable of being used for our application???
D} So the tach input wire simply gets installed to the "kill switch" lead off the mag ??? No tach adapter needed ???

On the subject of tachs I've read through most all info given on this site and did some research...
The "mag" type marine tachs are'nt refering to a magneto they're used for a magnetic crank trigger {diesel}
Here's another link that shows an overview of the different marine tachs... http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0100_Tachometers.pdf

Which after reading that pretty much leaves us using the gas,4 cycle inboard and I/O tach with the number cylinders being set for our application.....

Papee
10-18-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm really not much help here. I used all matching sending units for the gauges I used. It just happened that Chuck had a Faria tach in stock and tested it on the 084 so it's what I ended up using. I think there are really only two possibilities as far as resistance to the gauges but I may be wrong again. So not really any help other than what I run specifically.