PDA

View Full Version : 084 basics

Papee
09-13-2014, 10:01 PM
The 084
With all the experimenting going on I just want to bring a few things up. I think I'll just add to this post as I see things that are worthy of mention. This could possibly end up being the longest post on the Internet.

With the lack of speed parts available we are left with making these things breath better to make power. Doing this involves changing the carb and as I've found out improving the intake. When we make these things breath better we also need to allow them to exhale.

We do this by taking off the stock exhaust and making headers. Making these headers doesn't do much good if you put on a restrictive muffler and undo what you did with the headers. From my experimenting these motors run much better with an open exhaust but do like a little back pressure.

Along with these changes as with any other motor we have to change the ignition timing to get the most out of the improvements. Not having the timing marks on is a disadvantage because we can't communicate the settings we find that work the best after making any modifications but still is important when making any changes to these motors.

Im the seat of the pants kinda guy, have been throughout my racing career in drag racing, 4x4 racing and score buggy racing. I make changes according to ear and try them for the seat of the pants feel. With the 084 I've spent more than a few hours experimenting with point settings as well as magneto timing.

My point in all this is that you have to put the time in tuning your engine after making any modification before you can consider any change a success or failure. When it comes down to it there are really no failures, just learning experiences.
Have fun guys but keep this in mind when making any changes.

Hulls
When we hear "Mini" airboat right away we think small. This is not necessarily the case. Our hulls are for the most part smaller than our big brothers the full sized airboats.

The general idea is the higher in the water your boat floats the easier it is to get on plane. A hull that is narrow and short will sit deeper in the water with the engine, rigging, and riders on board. All this weight makes the boat float lower in the water needing more thrust to get it out of the water. With that said you can go too big, a hull that is too wide and too long will float very well but will have too much drag and extra weight to make a good mini hull.

So what is the perfect mini hull? Well, there isn't one. This all depends on your use, if you are building a one person boat you don't need the extra length to spread out the weight of another passenger and gear. If you are building a boat for two people to fish out of you will need more length to float the extra weight and allow some room between fisherman.

If I had to answer this question asked as an overall best hull I would have to say it would be a 12 foot hull with a 5 foot bottom with 20 inch sides. This would make a boat capable of some rough water. It has enough length to haul two people and gear for fishing and is not a bunch of extra weight when you want the performance for on person riding.

Doozit20
09-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Great info there papee. All the experimenting with success and failures along the way only helps the future and current builders through there builds.

aerokirk
09-14-2014, 06:25 PM
I'll second that! You could say that we're on the "bleeding edge of technology"