PDA

View Full Version : 4A084 Main bearings

buster
02-21-2010, 06:19 PM
My rear seal in the Aircat 084 has been leaking oil bad ever since I got it running. When I first poured oil into the crankcase after bringing it home, the oil started running across the floor. I realized something was wrong -DUH ;rasta;

Turned out the flywheel had beed put on without a real seal in place. :shock: Thinking this had just been an oversight by the previous owner (The US Army), I just installed a new seal and forgot about it. That at least stopped the leaking when it was not running.

Today I decided to remove the redrive pulley and recheck that seal. when I got it out, I noticed the rear main bearing had an eyebrow showing at the top, behind the seal. I was quite sure this was not right, and I got ahold of it and to my surprise the bearing came right out :o

Now I have a few questions for someone that has had an 084 case apart, or any knowledge about it.

Could this wide spot (eyebrow) be from too much belt tension? I don't think I tightened more than necessary to stop belt slippage. Also, It did not have very much running time, only an hour or two total.

What is supposed to hold the main brg. in place, so it won't slide out? I figure it just can't be the rear seal!

Will I have to dissasemble the entire engine and split the case, or is there a shortcut?

Since Saturn Surplus doesn't appear to have main bearings for the 084, where can I get a set?

I will include a shot of the old bearing. It looks pertty beat up, and I can't seem to get a very clear picture though.

Dave

Duane Scarborough
02-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Dave,

Ouch !

Hang on a few for a PM that I hope will connect you up with someone who can help.

Duane

Duane Scarborough
02-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Dave,

I tried sending this as a PM, but it didn't work. ;bawl;

Here's the Yahoo address for Les Smoot. He's the "local" 4A084 flyer. He's been a lot of help for me, and hopefully he can help you. ;garfield;

(address removed by me)

If he doesn't have an answer for you, I'll bet that he knows someone that does.

Good luck.

Duane

buster
02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Duane,

Thanks for that. I sent Les a short email so we will see what he comes up with.

I don't know why that PM didn't work. Maybe it doesn't like the "back-up" computer I'm using while the regular one is in the computer hospital.

Dave

buster
02-22-2010, 02:05 AM
After talking my engine main bearing problem over with my buddy Hank, I think I am starting to see the light, and have decided to make a bid on that 084 you found on ebay.

After replacing the main bearings, I may as well do the rods at the same time. The possibility exsists that the crank could be damaged, and also the spun bearing could have taken the bearing saddle with it. Could run into a considerable hunk of change.

The expense of the new 084 won't be cheap, but after I sell a number of good parts from my old 084, the final difference may not be that much. Plus, I'll have a NOS never been run engine to start with. Makes more sense the more I think about it.

One more thing, I found a shipper that will bring it to the door for $110.00. Gets better all the time. Let's hope I win the bid ;thumb;

Dave

Duane Scarborough
02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Dave,

I don't think the PM problem was on your end. I think it was a snag on Papee's end. ;garfield;

I'll try again in a little while to see if it works, and if not, I'll let Papee know what's up.

Hopefully, Les will give you some insight on the bearing problem.

But a fresh, out of the crate engine would probably be a good way to go. You could then either sell the other parts, or keep them for spares. ;thumb;

They ain't making any more after all...

If my pockets were a little deeper, I'd consider bidding on it myself, just so I'd have a backup engine. Lucky you. My pockets are not deep enough, so I won't be bidding against you. ;garfield;

Good Luck,

Duane

Duane Scarborough
02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Dave,

The PM from yesterday, and one from today are sitting in my outbox. The one yesterday never seemed to make it to my outbox, but it's there now...

Maybe the problem is on your end. I don't know. ;bawl;

Duane

buster
02-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Duane,

I will know in about three hours if I win or not. I think the same seller sold a similar one a few days ago, and I think he still has several more, so save your pennies.

While I was looking around, I found out about others that are out there too. I don't think this is really the end of them yet.

Dave

Duane Scarborough
02-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Dave,

Yeah, his photo looked like he had several of them, still in the crate. ;thumb;

At least that stack of crates LOOKED like my crate. ;garfield;

I hope you get it. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend money on a "spare" engine yet. ;rasta;

If you do win the bid, please keep his contact info, just in case someone wants to contact him in the future...

Duane

Duane Scarborough
02-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Dave,

The suspense is killing me, but one of us (me) has to be at work early tomorrow morning. ;bawl;

Good Luck. Let me know how it turns out. ;garfield;

Duane

buster
02-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Duane,

I WON, I WON- - - - Free beer for everyone ;beer; ;beer; ;beer; ;beer; :&&: :&&: :&&: :&&:

I didn't exactly steal the engine, however as Ben Franklin once said, "nessesity never made a bargain". Well said, I was in need, and didn't want to wait for a bargain to come along. ;rasta; ;rasta;

With the shipping, I figure it will be about $782.00 delivered to my shop. Saturn sells the same thing for $1850.00, still at their location, in Pennsylvannia!

In the long run I think I'll be glad it turned out this way. Now, I may have a hull that was made before "Woodstock", but it is now in excellent condition, and most everything else on the boat is nearly new, or unused, at least for now .:roll:

Dave

n4wsp
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Hey Buster. I hope the one you got from hem turns out better than the one i got from the same place. To no fault of his. Mine had a cracked cylinder head. It was done when they built the motor at the factory. But i have new head on the way. All is well. Good luck with yours :lol: Steve

buster
02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Steve,

Ya it looks like he had a bunch of them from the picture. If you bought the one he sold about a week ago, you did better than I did price wise. Oh well, at least I got some spare parts if needed.

Have you started yours yet?

Dave

n4wsp
02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Hey Buster The price worked out about the same because of the money i spent on gas to go get it.I drove from Florence Al. to Noblesville Indiana 895 miles in one day to pick it up. it was 10 in of snow on the ground there. Jeff was a really nice guy to deal with. Yes i have cranked it up it ran good but smoked really bad . One of the heads was cracked when they put the intake valve guide in. It was sucking oil out of the valve cover area. Also my fuel pump does not work. I am going to do away with it and use a MIkuni double diaphragm pulse type pump . I will pulse it where the plug is just down stream from the carb on the intake manifold . Steve :roll:

Duane Scarborough
02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Dave,

Yay for you ! ;thumb;

I think you got a decent deal, and will be happier in the long run.

Steve,

That cracked head is a bummer. But you came out O.K. too, I guess. How about sharing more info on the Mikuni fuel pump, just for future reference? It'd probably be better to start a new topic, so it doesn't get lost...

Duane

Duane Scarborough
02-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Also my fuel pump does not work. I am going to do away with it and use a MIkuni double diaphragm pulse type pump . I will pulse it where the plug is just down stream from the carb on the intake manifold . Steve :roll:

Steve,

I googled up some info on the Mikuni double diaphram pulse type pumps.

They appear to be very simple, reliable, and inexpensive. One thing that I read said that the pump needs to be located very close to the intake manifold. That shouldn't be a problem.

What I wonder about is if these pumps would have enough "lift" to pull fuel from a tank that is located way down in the bottom of the hull to a carb that is mounted 3 feet or so above the tank.

It'd be easy enough to prime the pump and carb with a outboard motor style bulb pump.

I just wonder if they have the "lift" needed, and what kind of pressure they deliver, at what "lift". I have not seen that in the specs, and have no personal experience with them.

If you've got personal experience, or other info on these pumps, please share.

Thanks,

Duane

n4wsp
02-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Hay Duane

I got the new cylinder head put on my motor today. I also hooked up the Mikuni fuel pump. The one i have is the round one it is also a used one. I hope it is still good i haven't used it in about 5 years. Tomorrow i am going to hook up the electric starter and fire it up and let it run for about 2 hr to break the motor in some. if my fuel pump works. I am 63 years old and don't Way but 145lb . i just cant crank that thing over with that rope. this pump came off a 115 hp boat motor. I think once you prime it up with a primer bulb it will pick the gas up from your lower mounted tank.If this pump doesn't work . I will get a new one. I will let you know how it works. Thanks Steve ;stir;

Duane Scarborough
02-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Steve,

I'm glad to hear that you got the new head installed.

Yeah, please let us know how that fuel pump works out. I've read up a little more on those pumps, and wonder how they'd work off of the intake manifold's pulses.

They were intended to get the pulse from the crankcase of a Rotax, or similar engine. A 4A084 doesn't have the same kind of crankcase pulses.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying it won't work. I just don't know if it will. ;garfield;

If it does, it'd be great because they seem to be very simple pumps, with hardly anything to go wrong in them.

Good luck getting the engine running. Using the starter should be a BIG help.

The few times that I've ran mine, I started it with the rope pulley. Keep in mind that I'm a young guy (only 56 ;bawl; ) and outweigh you by about 65# ;bawl; ;bawl; . It took a HECK of a pull to start it. But it started up on the first couple of pulls each time. ;thumb;

Papee has mentioned how easy his was to start. He must eat a lot of Cherios. :&&: :&&: I'm sure it gets a lot easier with practice.

Duane

Wildfowl
02-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Hey Congratulations Buster!!!

I was hoping that was you that won the bid. I never bid on ebay and I happened to be online when your bid closed out. I was watching it and in the last few seconds the screen flashed a bunch of times and whamo a couple bids showed up and then closed out. Way to fast for me to keep up with even if I was not bidding.

Glad you got the engine!!!

buster
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Wildfowl,

Thanks Mike, it was me that won allright. That's the way it works when you snipe the auction. You put in your highest bid, and so do other bidders. Then about five seconds before the auction closes, the sniper software slams in the bids, one bid increment ($10.00) apart, until the second highest bidder reaches his limit. At that point the highest bidder pays ten bucks more.

I guess that must look strange if you are watching the results.

Anyway I hope I am done with my oil leaks, and and other engine problems, at least for a while.

BTW, how ya coming along on your hull, or did you put it to bed for the winter?

Dave

Wildfowl
02-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Well for sure glad you won that ! And thanks for the insight.

As far as the last question... thanks for asking and updates are sure to come.

Some of it is magical and some of it tragical...but we will get by just the same.

Mike