PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Aangel
08-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I live in the NC mountains, not many airboats around here. I am planning on building a mini. I picked up a fiberglass hull last week for $100 (much to the wife's dismay) roughly 10.5X4.5. I think I may be able to get a 4A032 reasonable. Does this combo have a chance? My biggest expense will likely be the prop. I am looking at the ultraprop. I will have to make stringers and rigging and am looking for some advice on how to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Duane Scarborough
08-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Aangel,

Welcome to the forum. ;thumb;

It's always good to hear of another new NC member. We welcome all. ;rasta;

No, what you're considering is not the BEST combination, but it WILL work. It all depends on your expectations. If you want a single person boat to play with, and learn with, it'll definitely do.

It ain't gonna' be a top performer though. It all depends on what you plan to do with it, and how much money you want to spend.

If you can find a deal on new or nearly new/ good condition 4A032, then get started. ;thumb;

If not, then start looking around. They're other engines to be had. Parts for 4A032's are getting hard to find. :-o

Duane

buster
08-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Aangel,

I just want to say welcome to the Mini forum. It sounds like you have yourself quite a project. I don't want to be too negative, since I have taken on some pretty rough projects myself.

First thing, I would check out the bottom. If it is not straight and flat, you will spend a lot of time, (and money) on that. I been there, and done that! If it is really bad, it may be worthwhile to look for a better hull instead. It isn't hard to spend more than $100. on glass and resin repairing a bad hull. The straighter and flatter the hull is, the better it will plane out and perform.

Second thing I would suggest is to try to find a higher HP engine. A 4A032 will work and has been used before, but if you have to spend money to buy an engine, maybe it would be better to spend it on something that will be more satisfactory, possibly a 4A084. If you take your time, you may run across a great price on an 084.

Whatever you do, take your time and do some research before you decide how you want to proceed. Ask all the questions you have on this forum, and read the build threads, there is a lot of good info even though it takes a while to go through them.

Good luck with your project,
Dave

Papee
08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
I have a 032 for sale almost new but shipping may be a deal killer. I am coming from PA to GA in the near future though.

EDIT: I agree with B&D on the 084.

Aangel
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
I would love to have a 084, but they're getting scarce and expensive. I may be able to get a 032 for $200. I can't afford the "best combination" right now. The wife is about to crap as it is! If I can get out and back to the truck, I'll be pretty happy for now. I can replace the 032 later if I find a good deal and sell or use the cheap 032 for something else. I read Pappee,s thread, looks like he has had some success with the 032. Thanks for the advice! I'm sure I'll have lot's more questions.

Alan