PDA

View Full Version : Enigine tilt tweaking

Papee
08-01-2011, 12:34 AM
As you know, every little bit counts on a mini. When I was out testing my boat on the river after I put on a new magneto I noticed when I ran at cruise speed then hit the gas my front end would push down, I would gain speed but was wondering if the front pushing down is slowing me down.

My next thought on this is that the boat it not really pushing down but just leveling out, guess I have to figure out a way to film this just to be sure. I'm posting this as more of a learning experience rather than a question.

We all know that having more area in the water causes more drag, I'm wondering if it would be better to have a slightly nose up attitude when the boat is running at full speed. My front motor mount is adjustable, guess I'll just have to take the camera and GPS out and experiment with this idea.

I ran a consistent 38 mph in low water(3 inches) after the new mag, I'm just trying to get everything I can out of it before I put on the new carb setup.

Duane Scarborough
08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Papee,

I'm just thinking out loud here. Yeah, I know that's dangerous. :&&:

I think that running with the bow up just a little would be close to the best attitude. Loaded, but at rest, if the boat is balanced properly, it'd be "about" the attitude that you'd want at cruise speed. I "think" so anyway...

One way to judge this would be to use a digital level. Anyway, if you zeroed the level with the boat at rest, you'd have something to compare it to at cruise speed. If nothing else, you'd be able to judge how the engine/prop angle is affecting things.

Just a thought. :&&:

Duane

fox river rat
08-06-2011, 02:07 AM
It would seem to me that whatever makes your boat faster will be the correct angle in the water. You could be pushing the nose down and slowing the boat. Plowing instead of skipping. I like the idea of a level, clever, but how the boat stands without thrust doesn't mean that's the best angle for it to be at speed. My 22 foot Cobalt gets a little faster when I plane it out by adjusting the outer drive a touch. But that's only after I hit around 40-45 mph. You have to get it up and going first. Nose down in this case is faster, but the hull is way different than an airboat. So, coming back around to the idea that speed is the key to really know where the sweet spot is on angle.

buster
08-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Papee,

It sounds to me like there is no substitute for trial and error tweaking here. Change something a little, then run a test, then repeat until you finally find that sweet spot, ;stir; or you run out of patience;rasta; which ever occurs first.:&&: In my advanced CRS case I recommend good record keeping, and when you do finally find the best setting, make sure to reward your self with a ;beer; or two. It will motivate you for the next project.;thumb;

Good luck with that,
Dave