PDA

View Full Version : Hull thickness

Zion
06-09-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm considering Okoume Marine Plywood for building a hull from scratch.
It comes in a convenient large size 5'x10'.
My question is what's the least thickness I can use, 6mm or 3mm?
I will laminate it and want to keep it light as possible..
Is it possible to bend it?
I may use the sides of an aluminum 12' boar I have.
The bow has a gradual 3' curve.
I also have a 14' flat bottom boat with structural damage to the back.
I was planning to make a 10' boat by cutting 4' off the back.
If bending the plywood isn't possible I could use an aluminum sheet to form the bow .
Any suggestions on building?

Papee
06-10-2011, 06:39 AM
What engine are you using for this? I would go with the aluminum boat but... If it is a jon boat I would not cut too much off the length, you can get away with a 4' bottom but need the length to spread the weight around. In my opinion cutting the boat down to 10 ft would not allow you to spread the weight, gas tank, battery, etc over enough area to make it work. Shortest I'd go would be 12ft on a narrow hull.

Of course this is not the perfect scenario but working on a small budget and with what you have I think it would be your best bet. An aluminum hull , even though thin as a jon boat is would last just as long as a wooden boat and be much lighter. The flip side to this working on a budget would be if you make a wooden hull you could reuse the rigging on another hull when you can afford to move up. Rigging made to fit the narrow jon boat would most likely have to be discarded when moving up because it would be to narrow to use on a regular airboat hull. Tough decision.

Zion
06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I purchased a new Lifan 16hp. It has an elec start alternator and 1"shaft.
Its lighter and more dependable than the Kohler MAgnum since its new.
This is a special purpose boat for hunting and fishing in tight places.
There is little open water and a billion stumps and underwater logs.
The 12' aluminum boat is 44"wide but in very good condition,"no leaks".
I can get 6'x10' aluminum sheet for about $350.
I'd prefer 5'x12' I'll have to check on that.
I may just build it on the 12'jon then later on rebuild it with a wide flat bottom.
Thanks