PDA

View Full Version : my airjon with an 032

bowhunterfl
03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
I need so help on this Im building a mini with a 10 ft Jon and a 032 I did the carbon work and decked the heads 30 thou the rigging will take a 40 inch prop one guy told me to run a 38x12 3 blade. I'm on a bit of a bugit so I'm prob going with arrowprop prop and hub shipping.$400 am I in the right direction.

Papee
03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the site bowhunterfl.

The prop you run is limited to the width of your boat. If you got all your figures from Arrow Prop you are going in the right direction. I used a 032 0n my boat for a while, I was very happy with the motor but my boat was a little big for the engine at 16x6. I ran a 3 blade carbon fiber on mine that was 48 inches long and ran 11 degree shims. I run an Arrow prop on my 4A084 and also the hub from them. I am sunning direct drive and the 032 was DD also. Have fun with the build!

The only concern is the weight of that engine on that small hull, it will sit deep in the water. A hull that sits deep in the water needs a lot of thrust to get it on top of the water. What I would suggest is to get the engine weight and put some blocks in the hull equaling that weight and put it in the water to see how it floats. You will also have to get in the boat at the position your seat will be in. I've been in a boat like that with another buddy just with oars and it did not displace our weight well. I would do this before ordering your prop. No sense ordering a prop if the hull will not displace the weight needed for that setup. I'm not trying to crush your ideas for your build, I just want to try and help you from making a big mistake. I'm an expert at mistakes, just ask these guys.

bowhunterfl
03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
no, thank you and anyone else that can give me any steps in the right derection. this is my first build and all the little things like that is what will help me in the end. i got the boat with a 20hp biggs that they blow up and a rotten 30 in prop. i just took it that my motor didnt weigh much more then the briggs. and one more question for more power on the ground is it better to have smaller prop more pich or bigger and less or do i have it all upside down and twisted.

Duane Scarborough
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
bowhunterfl,

Welcome. We aren't a BIG group (it's called Mini for a reason) :&&:, but we do try to help each other out as much as possible. (We also occasionally jab pointed sticks at each other for fun sometimes, but we know when enough is enough.) ;thumb;

Tight budget? I thought that was NORMAL. ;rasta;

Honestly, I don't think that a 10 foot Jon and a 4A032 is going to be much of a ground runner. :-o It should be a lot of fun on the water, but it's definitely not over powered. To run dry ground with much success, you've GOT to be way over powered.

Papee has probably pointed you in the right direction. I'm not sure which ArrowProp you're considering, but they know what they're doing, (they've been doing this a long time) and I suspect that they've also given you good advice.

My advice is this: Pay the money up front, and get an adjustable pitch prop, because you're going to want to play with it until you find the pitch that works best for your situation. Yeah, an adjustable pitch prop is much more expensive than a fixed pitch prop. But you have the option then of playing with different pitches without having to buy a new prop every time. ;thumb;

It'll save you money in the end.

I suspect that a 10 foot Jon boat is fairly narrow. So you're not going to be able to use a really long prop anyway. Measure the cage, and order an adjustable pitch prop as long as you can safely use (I'd recommend about 3 inches clearance on both sides).

Good luck with your project. Please keep us informed on how it goes.

Duane

bowhunterfl
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
thanks Duane
yes the boat is narrow and when i fit the cage to the boat i have 42 to 43 inch from lift to right and close to that from top to bottom. when i rebuilt the motor stand to fit the 032 i made it so that the shaft is with in 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch of the center of the cage.i fig i will not be able to run on dry ground but this is my first one and just want to learn everything i can about airboats so the next project is a little better.

Duane Scarborough
03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
thanks Duane
yes the boat is narrow and when i fit the cage to the boat i have 42 to 43 inch from lift to right and close to that from top to bottom. when i rebuilt the motor stand to fit the 032 i made it so that the shaft is with in 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch of the center of the cage.i fig i will not be able to run on dry ground but this is my first one and just want to learn everything i can about airboats so the next project is a little better.

bowhunterfl,

Then it sounds like about a 38" adjustable pitch prop would be way to go. I might feel safer with a 36" prop. But 38" should be OK.

I have no idea what is available in that length range.

BTW, I like the "next project" comment. I've been told many times that first airboats are just another way of saying, "learn from your mistakes".

I've sure made MY share of mistakes, and I've learned something, even though I have much more to learn. ;rasta; But I'm sure not an expert yet. (The experts make mistakes too.) :eek:

Please let us know how it goes, and please post some pictures when you get far enough along.

Thanks,

Duane

bowhunterfl
03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
553cleaning up the motor

bowhunterfl
03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
554555556557just a couple pics from diff stages

Papee
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
bowhunterfl,

Then it sounds like about a 38" adjustable pitch prop would be way to go. I might feel safer with a 36" prop. But 38" should be OK.

I have no idea what is available in that length range.

BTW, I like the "next project" comment. I've been told many times that first airboats are just another way of saying, "learn from your mistakes".

I've sure made MY share of mistakes, and I've learned something, even though I have much more to learn. ;rasta; But I'm sure not an expert yet. (The experts make mistakes too.) :eek:

Please let us know how it goes, and please post some pictures when you get far enough along.

Thanks,

Duane

I'm not sure I'd spend the money on an adjustable prop at this point. In my opinion it would not be a good place to put money. Sure, if it were a longer prop that you could use on the next project I would say go for it but since this prop is such a short one I don't think spending the extra money on an adjustable prop is thrifty in this case. JMHO ;rasta;

Nice work, keep it up.

Duane Scarborough
03-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Papee,

You have more experience than I have, and you know that I respect that. ;thumb;

And your case for saving money by using a fixed pitch prop has some validity, IF you KNOW what will work in your situation.

There IS a big price difference. And I honestly don't even know if adjustable pitch props are available in the 36-38" range.

However, just trying one pitch change would double his prop cost. Another would triple his prop cost. And it goes up from there. I think that about 1 1/2 pitch changes would cover the difference. :eek:

I just think that variable pitch props are the way to go.

Duane

Papee
03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
I think any prop that is recommended by Arrow Props would be a good start. He did the figures on my 084 and I'm very happy with the results. I rarely run my carbon fiber prop any more. I run my Arrow Prop 95% of the time. Sure in most cases I would recommend going with and adjustable pitch prop. You'll only get so much out of this current setup and the prop being so small will not transfer to the next project and may be hard to sell because of it's size.

I am thinking this motor is just going to be too much for that boat, I hate to see him spend to much money on it before I see how it displaces the weight. I would never want to discourage anyone from their build but knowing that hull and having one years ago I know they do not do well with weight in them. We had two adults and one small teenager in it and the water was about 4" from coming over the sides.

bowhunterfl
03-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Well thank to both of you I'm a small guy and weigh about 150. I am going to the river this weekend and bringing about 100lds of free weights that I can put on the motor stand the motor is about 70 lbs at most. I will get back with you with a pic and how it sits in the water.

Papee
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that motor is 93lbs but 70 should give you a benchmark to go by to see how it floats.

Duane Scarborough
03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
bowhunterfl,

It looks pretty good. ;thumb;

You seem to be keeping the original flywheel/fan.

That's both good, and bad.

The good news is that by keeping the original flywheel, you can use the original starter. :razz:

The bad news is that its fan is blowing the wrong way ! (I think). What I mean is the flywheel fan will be blowing opposite to the direction of the prop.

But it should still work OK. The flywheel fan isn't very big. ;garfield;

Let us know how it goes.

Duane

bowhunterfl
03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
will i have taken the flywheel off and prob going with the hub from arrowprop. i picked up a starter generator from the junk guy in town off an old lawn tracker for $2 and it works so sent it to the shop had it cleaned and reworked for $20 so if it works good if not im only out $22. hope to mount the motor this weekend so i can see how its going to sit in the water with all the weight.

Duane Scarborough
03-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Well all righty then ! ;thumb;

Sounds like you're well on your way.

Duane

bowhunterfl
03-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Got the motor on today going to the river in the morning to see how she will hold the weight.567566565564

Papee
03-18-2011, 07:04 PM
That will be a cool little boat, I hope it works out for you. I'll be waiting on the float test results, if it floats half decent you're on the way. Try to get someone to go along and take a photo of it in the water with you in it.

n4wsp
03-18-2011, 07:16 PM
It ought to run good with that Ford blue motor

Steve

Papee
03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Since you started a build thread I will move all these posts over to it that involve your build.

EDIT: I moved all the replies from general prop discussion over here to your build thread.

bowhunterfl
03-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Getting closer.

Duane Scarborough
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Bowhunter,

That's looking great ! ;thumb;;thumb;;thumb;

I've lost track. What prop did you end up with?

Good luck with it! Please keep us informed on how it does.

Thanks,

Duane

bowhunterfl
03-31-2011, 07:58 AM
That is an arrow prop 3 blade 36x16 a guy on southern told me I could see if it works. I will I have a throttle cable to find/make and a peddle to build because I'm not paying 85-100 buck for gas peddle.I hope to go to a buddy pond this weekend and see what its got.

bowhunterfl
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok well I started to post that needed some help about a hour ago. I went for the first water test and I had no push like I needed more pich to the prop. The motor would go wild open in no time. I got about 5 mph. Got back to the shop and was looking and I think the prop is on backwards I flip it and get 10x the push. So I will try it in the morning and see how project airjon does with the prop on right.....lol

Duane Scarborough
03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Bowhunter,

I seriously hope that it works out for you. ;thumb;

Part of the fun is the learning process, right? I've always figured that the more mistakes that I make, the more that I learn.

Duane

buster
03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Duane,

If your policy of the more mistakes you make, the more you learn actually works, then I should be a whole lot smarter than I am :&&::&&:

Dave ;rasta;;rasta;

bowhunterfl
04-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Well I fig yall would get a good laugh off that one.

bowhunterfl
04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Well thank yall for all the help guys. project airjon runs and runs good I was went to the river this morning and it ran 15 20 mph it is a little on the tipsy topsy side but runs good.

bowhunterfl
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
600 on the river for the first time

n4wsp
04-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Ok well I started to post that needed some help about a hour ago. I went for the first water test and I had no push like I needed more pich to the prop. The motor would go wild open in no time. I got about 5 mph. Got back to the shop and was looking and I think the prop is on back wards I flip it and get 10x the push. So I will try it in the morning and see how project airjon does with the prop on right.....lol
When i first looked at the picture of your prop i tough it was on back wards. But what do i know. i tough Chuck would chime in and say something.

bowhunterfl
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
well it was and it wouldnt push leaves in the driveway.

Papee
04-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Maybe you can lower your seating, it would help a lot with the COG. Glad you got it going now have some fun.

Duane Scarborough
04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Well thank yall for all the help guys. project airjon runs and runs good I was went to the river this morning and it ran 15 20 mph it is a little on the tipsy topsy side but runs good.

Yay ! :-D

15-20 MPH doesn't sound too bad for a 1st (or 2nd) test. I'm glad it's working out OK for ya. ;thumb;

Papee may have something there with lowering the seating to reduce the center of gravity. You do have a pretty narrow hull after all.

My hull is a good bit wider than yours, but I still chose to go with lower seating than most people. I know that I'm a klutz, and I won't be running in tall grass, yada, yada, yada. ;rasta;

Buster, if I learned from ALL of my mistakes, I'd be a darned genius. Problem is, I don't learn from all of them. :eek:

Glad it's coming together for you Bowhunter.

Duane

bowhunterfl
04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
O and I think I need more prop when I mash the gas I'm turning 3600 rpm in like a 1 or 2 sec

buster
04-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Bowhunter,

You could try a couple hundred pounds of ballast for that COG problem:&&::&&::&&:

Dave ;rasta;

bowhunterfl
04-02-2011, 08:45 AM
I like the seat idea and I will prop build a new motor stand out of some left over stuff.