PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel mesh

Duane Scarborough
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey guys,

I haven't covered my cage yet. I was planning to do it the hard way, with 1/8" stainless rod, and HUNDREDS of welds. I have not been looking forward to THAT.

I stumbled across THIS tonight:

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/products/TWPCAT_14/p_3_50X3_50W0_105W48T

and THIS:

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/products/TWPCAT_14/p_2X2W0_105W48T

It comes in several different gauges, and mesh sizes, and it's NOT cheap, but you can order it by the foot. (so you don't have to order a full roll)

I'm probably going to do it the hard way (using 1/8" rod, with a LOT of welding), but it is interesting that this stuff is out there.

Just wondering if anyone has done it this way...

Duane

chuckitt
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Some of the Airboat Builders use it but it don't look as good when you cut it and try to form it to a round cage. The 1/8 inch rod we buy cost about 1/3 of the mesh and we get it with our ss order so we don't have a shipping cost. We have about 3 hrs in putting the wire on a cage using the 1/8 th rod.
Thanks, Chuck

Duane Scarborough
03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Chuck,

Yeah, I'm going to do it the harder (and cheaper) way. I was just wondering. And I KNOW it should look better in the long run.

Thanks,

Duane

jackcon
11-29-2011, 04:12 PM
If you are going to do it this way, I would make sure to check at least 3 different sources for the material.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

http://www.bwire.com/

Try searching the internet and you will be able to find the cheapest price available and the supplier that will sell you exactly what you are looking for in the size and alloy that you need. The reason I say to shop around is because I have looked for stainless mesh in the past, and TWP gave me a price that was literally exactly double as I had found on Mcmaster Carr. TWP has good service but tends to be very expensive. I would look into manufacturers and see if they can supply the EXACT sized and shaped piece you are seeking, they also might have some helpful tints on welding wire mesh cages that can save you significant time.

Duane Scarborough
11-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Jackson,

Welcome to the forum. ;thumb;

Thank you for the advice, even though I'm well past it now.

I found that I could buy 1/8" SS round stock locally WAY cheaper than mesh.

Takes a little time, but it looks better and works better. ;garfield;

Duane

2006rubicon
11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
while we are on this subject, what IS the best way to do the mesh with 1/8" rod? Weave it over/under? Twist it? Zig-zag it like chain link fence? how do you keep it put where the wires cross each other? Tack welds? I'm kind of tempted to try those little "hog ring" things they use on automotive upholstery that keep the coverings on the seat springs, but I have never seen that done. and is it actually rod or wire? I'm thinking wire would be soft and bendy and come on a spool and rod would be like stiff sticks that come in cardboard tubes cut to something like 10 foot lengths. I only ask because I am re-doing my cage, the old one was heavy and way too open for safety's sake (thanks for the pointers on that Duane and Papee!) and I'm at the limit of my knowledge in this area. :oops:

buster
11-30-2011, 08:31 AM
2006 rubicon,

I have done one cage with 1/8" rod (gas welding rod, not stainless steel since it is much cheaper and I have no salt water nearby), and one with the 2" x 4" wire fence type mesh. I am convinced the rod is the better way, but takes a little bit longer. I used my wire feed MIG welder, but I think the best way would have been a small portable spot welder (No weld spatter to clean up latter). But I didn't have access to one of those.

If you are going to weld each joint, there is no need to weave anything. The hog ring method would work I guess but they will rust, and if you are going to use SS material, it would be defeating your purpose. Also, in my opinion that would only be one step above duct tape! jmo

The other one I did with the wire fence (mesh) and brazed it the with the torch. Not as neat, but it worked ok and a bit faster. I still needed to clean off the flux before painting. There again I think a portable spot welder would have been faster and cleaner if I had one. I think either way is plenty strong, but keep all the openings no larger than 3-1/2" to 4".

Dave

Duane Scarborough
11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
2006rubicon,

I suppose that you might be able to find SS hog rings. Don't know, since I haven't looked. The ones that I remember from a long time ago came pre-cut in semi-circular pieces. I don't know... They may even be SS. (I haven't ever seen a rusty one, but haven't really looked hard either) ;rasta;

So, it may be POSSIBLE to do what you said, but I have to agree with Buster here. You probably wouldn't be happy with the results. :cry:

Just take the time to do it up with 1/8" rod, from scratch. I'm pretty sure you'll be happier in the long run.

Duane

chuckitt
11-30-2011, 08:04 PM
We use the 1/8 th inch SS rod. it comes in 12 ft lengths. Our mini airboat full cage takes about 18 pcs. We lay out the cage tubing on a 4x4 pattern vertical and horizonal. The fastest way is with a mig welder and we tac weld each crossing. then we go back over it welding the other side of the wire. It stays together where the wire mesh tends to break due to viberation816817818 .815

chuckitt
11-30-2011, 08:10 PM
I just had to post my great grand baby Layla. She will get to be known in the Airboat Industry.
Thanks, Chuck