PDA

View Full Version : Hull Plans Help!

Zion
01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
I have a Kohler k341 16hp and a 48" 3-blade ultra prop.
The engine is pretty heavy.
I'm going to build a hull.Probably from aluminum or possibly a composite of wood aluminum and fiberglass. I will only be using this boat for Bow hunting deer and bass fishing. It will be a single seater. Can I get some suggestion for hull plans and dimensions? I'll need room for some gear and a large deer.
I can pick up a few aluminum boats for material. I'm going to purchase a heavy duty rivet tool for using 1/4"stainless rivets.
What kind of plywood can be used?
I have to drive 200 miles to get Marine plywood.
I found a good price for 1/4" marine plywood online but it cost $200.00 to ship:shock:
Apparently is shipped in a protective case.
I can build it from all aluminum and fiberglass. I have some experience with fiberglass.
I don't expect to be hi-balling but it would be nice to be able to get out of the hole quickly.
Thanks
Zion

Duane Scarborough
01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Zion,

Wow ! :eek:

That shipping expense makes it some really expensive marine plywood.

You must live at the edge of the world. :cry: ( I think you've said before where you live, but I forget. Please add it to your profile. ;thumb;)

Given what you've said, you MAY be better off finding a couple of small (hopefully identical) aluminum Jon boats, cutting them lengthwise (off center on each, of course) and joining them back together. I really don't know what's available to you.

When I started looking for suitable hulls here in NC, I didn't have much luck. That's why I ordered one from Airboat Pros, and drove way down to FL to pick it up.

I assume that's not an option for you. There's been many hulls built from plywood, and fiber glassed over, but they tend to be VERY heavy.

What you need is LIGHT. So, your best bet may be the aluminum Jon boat route.

Good luck with your project.

Please keep us updated.

Duane

Zion
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks
I live at Mathews Brake NWR. A branch of Theodore Roosevelt NWR.
Greenwood,MS. Your right about finding a couple of identical jon boats.
That is one option.
I've seen used hulls with trailer for $500.00 Some where in Fl. but its was heavy glass.
Your right about light. I hate to cobble things together.
Is there any chance a bomber could be altered to work.
Below is one of many available.
http://jackson.craigslist.org/boa/2173290425.html

Papee
02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
What are the conditions you will be boating in? This will determine the hull material needed. Seeing what you have to start with I think I would just find a double wide 14ft Jon Boat.

If my legs hold out I may just do a build with stuff I have laying around, the 032, and Ultra Prop, on a 14ft double wide just to show it can be done and done at a very reasonable cost.

Zion
02-05-2011, 03:25 AM
I've been checking around for marine plywood. The thinnest I've found is 1/2" $61.00 70#.
I have to drive 100 miles to get it. The price is alright I'd rather use something thinner like 1/4".
Then laminate it after its built. I priced a sheet of Aluminum 6'x12'x5/32" at $350.00.
Its a local shop so I dont have to drive 200 miles to get it. This seems to be the best way to go so far.
I live in the stump capital of the world. We don't have rocks but the stumps are deadly.
Last year at horseshoe lake nearby some fellows were headed to a spot in a jon boat.
The motor hit a stump and flipped up. It hit the person driving and killed him.
Sobering thought. Thats just one of the reasons I've got to get away from outboards.

I have a 13' semi-v that I don't use. I could cut the sides off at the bottom turn.
Then rivet it to the 6'wide aluminum using 1/4" stainless steel rivets. Once its built I could take it to a local welder to be welded up. I could then laminate the hull inside and out with a camo pattern.
After getting the hull working satisfactory I could upgrade the Kohler magnum 16hp to a twin cylinder snowmobile engine. $350.00 for the sheet of aluminum is economic but would also produce a well behaving and strong hull. Somewhat better than splitting a jon hull and widening it and still having the ribs.
It would cost a little more but would save some work and produce a better hull.
Technically I could use the sides from any aluminum boat.
A square shaped jon boat would be a little simpler than a simi-v but would lack the better looking and better performing geometry. I don't want to go any wider than 6' at the bottom and 6.5' at the top.
I can make it any length up to 12". I was thinking 11'x 6'. This will never be a 2 seater.
After its all running well I'd like to build a top over using 1/4" plywood and laminate.
That way I could build some waterproof compartments for storage.
Another possibility is 12 gauge galvanized sheet metal.
It would weigh a little more and may cost a little less.
One drawback is it couldn't be welded to aluminum.
Anyone know of a hull build using steel sheet metal?
Could that be a reasonable material to build a hull with?