PDA

View Full Version : Boggers Chevy corvair project

Bogger2
11-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of building a boat with A chevy corvair motor.
I Know its not a mini but it won't be a big block rig eather.. I got a 110 hp covair motor and I was going to start the rebuid on it and keep you guys posted. What to you think? Will you still except me? Or am I an out cast now.
Let me know if you guys want to see some pictures of the vair reserection.
Bogger

n4wsp
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I say go for it
Steve

Papee
11-23-2010, 06:14 PM
There's still some boats with Corvair engines running around here.

Duane Scarborough
11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Bogger,

The very first airboat that I was ever around (when I was still a little kid), was Corvair powered, with a homemade belt reduction. This was way back when Corvairs where still in production. I'm getting OLD. :roll:

I don't remember a lot of details about it, but it was probably "about" a 2:1 reduction. The engine was mounted very low in the hull, had all of the original cooling sheet metal, fan, etc., and had a LONG belt drive, consisting of (I think) 4 v-belts.

You'd probably be able to do a much nicer job than that one was. (I've seen your work).

I say go for it. It'd be like a 4A084 on steroids. :&&:

The 4A084 is not technically a Mini either, but who really cares?

I'd love to see pictures of your Corvair resurrection.

Thanks,

Duane

Flathead
11-23-2010, 06:40 PM
the fatcat had a vw motor,and the guys treated me pretty good anyway!

Flathead

buster
11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey Bogger,

I'd say go for it, I for one won't consider you an outcast, just a bit different. Things would get really dull if we built the same boats over and over.;rasta;

As a matter of fact my Aircat 084 had a corvair on it before I got ahold of it. I wish it still had a corvair on it, (Thats from a Ford guy!) Also I'm building (soon), a Tomcat with an 1835 VW. ;stir;

I would love to see your build pictures, keep 'em coming.;thumb;

Dave

Bogger2
11-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.
Here are a couple pictures of the start of the reserection. It aint pritty.
The motor is a 110 HP high out put RH block with 110 heads.
Acording to the plane guys when put it together right it can produce 120 ponies at 200 ft. pounds of torque.
It will be a long process since this motor has been out in the weather at a bone yard for 30 years or so.
I took the skins off it last night, and started to pull the heads and broke 5 of the twelve head studs on the first side, which were mostly rusted through. Boy am I having fun.
Thanks bogger

Duane Scarborough
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah Bogger, it does look a little rough. :|

I don't know if it was rode hard, but it sure looks like it was put up wet. ;garfield;

At least it seems to be mostly all there. :razz:

When you get done with it, it'll be a beast, I'm sure. ;thumb;

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Duane

n4wsp
11-25-2010, 03:43 PM
This is what i am going with if my 084 ever craps out. Geo all aluminon 1.6L 90hp447

Duane Scarborough
11-25-2010, 07:28 PM
N4WSP,

The 1.6L 90 HP Aluminum Geo would be a heck of a HP upgrade from a 4A084, for sure. And I'd guess that it'd still be a gas sipper compared to some.

Do you have weight info on a fully fitted out engine, with the reduction, radiator, etc.?

Thanks,

Duane

Bogger2
11-25-2010, 11:52 PM
n4wsp
That looks sweet!
Is that a blower or a reduction unit on it?
Bogger

n4wsp
11-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Hey Duane. You can check it out at (raven rotorcraft redrives) has every thing you need to know there. Steve
N4WSP,

The 1.6L 90 HP Aluminum Geo would be a heck of a HP upgrade from a 4A084, for sure. And I'd guess that it'd still be a gas sipper compared to some.

Do you have weight info on a fully fitted out engine, with the reduction, radiator, etc.?

Thanks,

Duane

Duane Scarborough
11-26-2010, 05:35 PM
n4wsp,

I checked out their website, http://www.raven-rotor.com/ and they do have some neat ideas for the GEO / Susuki engines.

Nice stuff ! I don't need it right now, but will bookmark it for future reference.

Thanks,

Duane

Bogger2
11-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Hey Duane,
It was definately put away wet here's a couple shots of my nightmare motor.
Oh look chocolate milk. Notice the head studs were rusted through. You havent seen anything yet!
Bogger

Bogger2
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Notice the pile of wood. That was a 2x6 4 ft. long when I started banging on things to get the heads off.
Look at what used to be a distributor, think is savageable?
Whats that is side the clyinder? Pop corn Yea its a popcorn machine.
Oh look I got to play with my torches.
Man it wares me out just thinking about how much have to do yet.
Bogger

n4wsp
12-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Wow that thing is a mess. Good luck
Steve

Flathead
12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Holy cow! Now that's what I call a project.....

Bruxe

Papee
12-01-2010, 03:54 PM
This is what i am going with if my 084 ever craps out. Geo all aluminon 1.6L 90hp447

Steve, that is the motor that is in my Tracker. I thought about using it but I'm having so much fun with the Tracker hate to put it down. The darned 084 is just too reliable and easy to work on I ate to change anything.

buster
12-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Bogger,

I've rebuilt some ratty engines in my day, but they were immaculate compared to yours. When you get it up and running I think you'll deserve a gold star for sure.;thumb;;thumb;

Dave

Duane Scarborough
12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Bogger,

Shazam !

Rough does not begin to describe it. I know that some people thrive off of a challenge, and I think that probably describes you, but you are definitely more motivated than I am to take that on.

I sure as heck wish you the best with it, though.

If you're able to bring it back to life, it'll be a true gem, but you've bit off a VERY large chaw there.

When (if?) you get it going, I'll personally send you a gold star.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Duane

Bogger2
12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks all,
I do like a challange but It's the money thats the real challange.
I plan on Getting a set of new cylinders, pin ,and rod combo's to help with the process.The old ones are to far gone.
I mainly got the motor for the block, Crank and the 110 hp heads.
I have found another doner motor that actually runs, So I can grab alot of things from It.
I'll keep the picture comming. It will take a while.
Then comes the real fun part! The building of the boat.
I really like the toughster hull that chuck has used, so I will be looking in that department in the future.
Thanks Bogger

Bogger2
01-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Ive been playing with my airboat more than trying to get this motor going. But I'm in no real hurry.
Heres an up date on the bone yard motor.
I made a little rolly work bench so I can roll it out side because my steel work bench is acting like a shelf currently.
I got it down to the block and the crank actually has smoth gernnals.
It will need to be tured 10k probably.
I been doing a lot of research on the motor. I can get 140 Factory HP & 200 Ft lb. tourque from the motor with other heads at 210 pounds wet weight.
I'll be getting another motor this week end for more parts. Hurray!!
I think it should work out well for a small airboat. Time will tell.

Anyone no where to get a reduction unit for a Corvair or VW Motor??

Thanks Bogger

Flathead
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Bogger,

I spent many an hour searching for a redrive for the fatcat when I was running the VW motor. Great Plaines Aircraft was the only company I found offering one. I have seen images of other units but could not track down the source. They may be obsolete. I ain't sayin' nothin' here, but you may want to firgure out a redrive plan before spending a lot of time and money rebuilding your motor.

BTW, thanks for the help with the pics and all. The radiator is on its way and the pics were a big help;thumb;;thumb; Great job by the way.......

Bruce

Bogger2
06-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm back! It took me two more covair motor's to find a good running one. So now I have two extra parts motors. Posted is the 3rd and latest motor. Its 110hp stock. I'm currently mocking up the reduction unit.
I also got some 180 hp turbo heads for this motor. But I am going to try the 110 motor first, Because I will have to get a turbo set up for the heads and I'm tying up to meany dollars in to the reduction unit right now.
Bogger

Papee
06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I talked to a guy on the river today, he was running a Corvair motor direct drive on a 16 ft boat like mine. He said he has no problem hauling 4 people.

Bogger2
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Papee,
In referenced to the guy you saw with the corvair motor, Do you rember if he have any baffeling to cool the motor? Or was it open finned?
I have been spending some time designing a scoop to direct air down through the middle cylinders to aviod coolng issues.
Does he Know about, or frquent this site? I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel if possible.
Thanks Bogger

Papee
06-22-2011, 04:40 PM
He belongs to our club and his boat is moored at the club docks so I'm sure I can get down and snap a few pics. I didn't really take notice to any cooling just noticed it was a Corvair.

Duane Scarborough
06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Bogger,

You do know that I wish you all the best on your Corvair project, right?

Just for the heck of it, I recently stopped by one of our local automotive parts recyclers (I still call them junk yards myself), and asked the young man at the counter if they had a Corvair engine, or could they get a serviceable Corvair engine.

His reply was "They haven't flown those airplanes since world war 2. NO, we don't have one, and have no idea where to get one. We don't deal in airplane parts, we deal in car parts."

To his credit, he DID know what a Corsair was, but he had NO idea what a Corvair was.

I spent a few minutes telling him a little about what a Corvair was, and he was astounded. "I never knew that Chevy build VW style cars."

He did look it up on his computer, but didn't get a hit.

I just thanked him for his time and left...

Good thing that I didn't really need one, huh? :&&:

Duane

Bogger2
06-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey papee,
If you ever get a chance to snap some pic,s that would be great!
I know what I have invisioned for this motor, but I still am curious of what others have done.

Duane,
Very funny story. The motors are out there you just have to know where to look. It does take a little time, and exploering Bone yards too. Thats some of the fun part I think.
Hows your boat comming along?

I might be looking to sell my Mini after the summer if anyone happens to be looking then.
Thanks all Bogger

Rollbar
04-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Wonder how this worked out with the Corvair engine?

BamaR
11-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Any updated info on this engine setup? Thinking about doing one but cant find a whole lot on it. Thanks!