PDA

View Full Version : More Fiddling around

Papee
11-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Today I put the wood prop back on just to see what it would do. Since I've cut the hull the prop works much better. It come out of the water faster and the speed is a little better. It was pretty windy again and I was headed right into it but still managed just a tick above 30 for a top speed at 3000 RPM. With this prop I can back way out of the gas and still stay up. Now I'm undecided which I like better. This one now comes out of the water faster but top speed is 30MPH. The 3 blade Ultra Prop get out of the water a bit slower but top speed is right at 40mph if I push it and conditions are just right.

[video]http://woodlawnvideos.com/view/19/wooden-prop-test/"]http://woodlawnvideos.com/view/19/wooden-prop-test/[/url]

Wildfowl
11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Dang Papee...I could feel the wind. Popped some popcorn too. Sweet!

Looked like another airboat in the film.

Any preference for sound and smootheness?

Papee
11-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I forgot to add that the day didn't start out so good. I pushed the boat off the trailer and as I pulled it back into shore I saw water rushing in the back! Oh no, I forgot to put the plug in. I jumped in the boat and grabbed the plug but with my bad knees and the replacements, I could not get the pug back in. I pulled the back end of the boat in enough that i could get the plug in then pushed it back out to put it on the trailer to drain the water. I guess I'll be putting the bilge pump back in for these emergencies. ;rasta;

Yes, that was another aiboat, That was the president of our boat club here. As far as preference, I'm just not sure, both have their own pros and cons. If both are spinning at the same RPM, 3100, there really isn't enough difference in noise. I had taken the wood prop off because of the noise but now that I put it back on and had a fresh idea, I may be leaning towards the stick prop. I am turning the composite prop a little faster, I'm not sure there is a noticeable difference in the actual noise but after 3000 RPM the carbon fiber prop does get louder. The stick prop has a lower sound and this time was more to my liking.

This is not to say that this would always be the case, I would have to put some more pitch in the composite prop for a fair comparison to slow the tip speed down. The wood prop definitely has more low end push and better overall performance right now. The carbon fiber has more top end speed. I'll have to get another person in the boat to find out how it runs before I can decide either way. For now, I'll be sticking with the stick. I'll take both of the out in the spring and switch props to give it a good test.

Duane Scarborough
11-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Papee,

Good info. Thanks for sharing that.

Duane

Wildfowl
11-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Is that your 52x24 ? Please say yes.

Papee
11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes, that is the Arrow Props 52x24 on in that video.

Wildfowl
11-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Sweet... what are the chances I happen to own one of those. Well it's a Florida Air Prop but similar. 8-)

I wasn't kidding when I said I paused your move and went and made some popcorn then sat down to watch the rest. ;thumb; Nice ride Papee.

Flathead
03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey Papee,

Any update on you prop preferances? Now that my v-dub motor has been rebuilt, I anticipate some prop testing (all over again) I'll need to invest in some new blades for my ultra prop cause it's been cut down all the way down to 48x14. I'd like to try your 57x10 combination. However, if your wood prop is getting you on plane faster, maybe thats a better way to invest some cash..... ;bawl; ;bawl;

Flathead

Papee
03-23-2010, 09:23 PM
The wood prop does not get me on plane as fast or does it have the top speed my Ultra Prop has but it is a better all around prop for my boat. The Ultra Prop will stop pushing at a certain rpm though. Confused yet? The stick prop seems to go faster as I gain rpm. It is hard for me to replicate my test scenarios as far as wind, water level, current, etc with the changing conditions. I'll have to wait later in the summer until the water level drops to do any real comparisons. I have a new intake I am polishing now so I can put on the new carb. I really think at this point that the stick prop will be what I end up using. I may put the Ultra prop on when I'm all done and try a top speed run again just to get that new statistic for my signature.

The thing to remember when looking at my results is that I am running the next thing to a step hull, it is totally flat on the bottom. Your results may vary.

Flathead
03-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Interesting Papee...Could you tell me what rpm's you get out of you 57x10 ultra prop at WOT? I'm just interested in a comparison to my set up. Hopefully, the ice will be out soon ;thumb; ;thumb;

Thanks

Bruce

Papee
03-25-2010, 08:21 PM
I was turning it at 3200, the props are only supposed to be turned to 3100

Flathead
03-26-2010, 07:13 AM
thanks papee....

bruce