PDA

View Full Version : Welders

Papee
10-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Hey David/Chuck, what do you use for Aluminum? Should I just get a pusher gun for my mig or get a Tig?

chuckitt
10-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey Papee, the spool gun will work OK on most of the hull welding but if i were going to make some small parts i would get a tig. I use to make the rudders and headers with a tig and turned out some pretty work. I have another tig now but haven't set it up. Maybe i need to put it in the shop today. Thanks for reminding me.
Chuck

Papee
10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
yea I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to get a tig. I guess after you have it they don't eat anything. It's just justifying the cost to the boss. I'm thinking about doing my own hull mods. I want to cut the bottom back to gain more width up front and add a new piece on the bottom.

chuckitt
10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I think you can do it with the spool gun with a little practice. Use the settings that should be inside the side cover of the machine or find out from your welding supplyer. If the weld builds up too much, you always have your grinder.
Thanks, Chuck

Papee
10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Practice yea, my biggest problem is I don't see that well any more at that distance. I try my bifocals, nothing, and my mask magnifier. I just can't see that well any more at that distance. I was a structural welder in my past life but nobody ever saw those welds. They just had to be strong, not purty. I have lots of experience but I have never welded aluminum. I rarely use my mig, I'm a stick welder.