PDA

View Full Version : o84 temps.

airhead
07-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Has anyone checked to see which cylinder runs the hottest?

Thanks, Jim

Duane Scarborough
07-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Airhead,

Well, I guess NOT. :)

I was looking at your Starter/Generator bracket pictures again this evening, and was wondering how you're doing with that project.

Thanks,

Duane

airhead
07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Duane, It's on the back burner right now, but i am determined to make it work. From my experience i am concerned about misinformation about this. I have tried both types and am confused at this time. I don't give up easy. I will let evryone know my findings.

Jim

Duane Scarborough
07-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Airhead,

I've pretty much committed myself to try to make the S/G idea work now. I've got both a Starter/Generator, and a Subaru starter sitting on the shelf in the shop. If I can't make it work one way, I'll try the other. :o (Buster would love that).

The weather is supposed to be pretty nasty here this weekend. That's why I was looking for something that I can work on INSIDE the shop.

I plan to get started back outside early tomorrow morning, to get more done on the cage, if mother nature allows.

Duane

buster
08-07-2009, 05:08 PM
If I remember correctly, this was a 084 Temperature topic, not S/G.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, there is a fella selling NOS Dual CHT gauges on ebay. I bought two of them (enough for four cyls.)

I think he has more, and the price seems reasonable, even though the dial reads in centigrade.

Price is $22.50 plus shipping, and I think the probes are about fifteen bucks each at Aircraft Spruce. Maybe it would be a good idea to hold off until I check out the availablility, price, etc.

Dave

BTW, does anyone know what the maximum safe head temp. is for the 084?

Duane Scarborough
08-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Buster,

I've been known to change the subjuct of conversation before.... :o

It's not intentional. Has something to do with those voices in my head.

Duane

buster
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Good news,

I found the CHT Probe (thermocouple) that is supposed to work for the gauges I bought on Ebay. It is actually for a Falcon gauge, but they claim it will work for these also.

The price is $14.75 each, and the part no. is 10-02288, it is the one with the 18MM ring, available at Aircraft Spruce. :o :D

If you want to monitor all four cylinders at once, I don't see how you can do it any cheaper 8-) 8-)

Luclily, I have just enough room left on my instrument panel to mount the two CHT gauges ;)

Now I just have to find out what the temp. of the 084 heads is supposed to be, and how convert it to centagrade :? :? :mrgreen:

Dave

Duane Scarborough
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Buster,

Thanks for the heads up on those CHT guages. I looked at them a couple of days ago when we talked but didn't have much luck finding the 18mm thermocouples.

Thanks also for tracking down the thermocouples. :)

I've ordered one of those dual CHT guages, and 2 of those thermocouples. It may be a mistake, but I'm planning to just monitor the 2 rear cylinder's CHT, and assume that if they are O.K. then the front ones are also.

I've still got to chase down a sensor for the EGT guage that I bought. :o

It doesn't take long to fill a small console up, huh?

BTW, your console is looking nice. I looked into the GPS that you'd bought, and decided to go with one of the handheld, factory refurbished marine Garmin GPSMAP 76's. I downloaded the manual, and have read thru it.

I think it'll meet my needs. The price was right, and I can learn how to use it on foot, or in the truck. ;) There is a mount available for it if I decide that I need it.

Once we decide what the correct CHT limit is, converting it to Celcius is easy. ;)

Thanks,

Duane

David
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I believe if yall keep it below 475 yall will be ok

Duane Scarborough
08-10-2009, 08:45 PM
David,

That seems to be along the lines of what I've been told before.

Thanks,

Buster,

To convert Farenheit degrees to Celsius, subtrack 32, multiply by 5, then divde by 9. So, 475 degrees Farenheit = 246 degrees Celcius.

Thanks,

Duane

chuckitt
08-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I used to check the cylinder temp by patting the cylinder fins with my fingers a few times and if i had to jerk my hand back, it was toooo hot. :mrgreen:
Chuck

Duane Scarborough
08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Chuck,

Was that a Farenheit or Celcius finger that you used for that test? :)

Duane

chuckitt
08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know, it only reads in OK or tooo HOT. :lol:
Chuck

Hey Papee, we never learned how to use the chat room so we just chat on the treads. :lol:
Chuck

Papee
08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I really don't mind as long as they aren't in the build threads. If we get them all junked up too it will be hard for new people to follow that look at them for info later on. You well know that It would be hard to find my "serious bone". An we should use chat once in a while. If you guys have any questions about chat ask David, he is a pro at the chat.

David
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Hit chat log on then type :lol: :lol:

buster
08-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Duane,

Hmmm, I think I'll just put a dab of red paint at 250 and call it good. :roll: 8-)

Dave

Duane Scarborough
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Buster,

That should work. I don't have calibrated fingertips.

Duane

buster
08-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Duane,

Did it sound like Papee might have us in mind for "Junking up the build threads"?

I have no idea what chat was all about. I thought it was like a three (or more) way phone call. I figured you need to know when the others would be online at the same time?

I tried to do the chatroom thing when I got my first computer. That didn't work out because I type way too slow.

Dave

Papee
08-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Hey Buster it's not a big deal. If I had a choice between you two posting your shenanigans or not posting because you're not sure it would be appropriate, I'll take the posts. :lol: We can always clean things up if they are needed later or just give you two your own show. Myself, I enjoy that banter. You guys are a big part of why the site is growing, kinda like our own Rocky and Bulwinkle. WOW, I can say that and everyone, well most will know who they are. :lol: :lol:

Sandman
08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Sure thing "Mr Know It All" even I, the youngest most beautiful member, knows who Rocky and Bullwinkle are.
So does that mean that my useless banter is acceptable?

I would be interested in photo's of the probes your using. Also how you've attached them.

buster
08-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Papee,

OK, Good enough, we will continue on at least until our two builds are complete. Then maybe give the Chat thing a try. Of course, Maybe we will run out of words by then....naa, not likely :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandman,

I don't have any probes yet, just ordered them yesterday. The way they look in the pictures is, a piece of wire with an 18MM ring on the end.

That ring goes under the spark plug, replacing the gasket. The other end of course hooks to the gauge lead. That's it, if I understand it correctly.

I looked at the heads, and it looks like it may take some fiddling around to slip the ring ends through the fins, into place. I don't think the probes take kindly to a 90 degree bend! :o :(

I'll post my findings when I get them installed and try them out.

Dave

Duane Scarborough
08-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Buster,

I have to wonder, in Papee's mind, which one of us is Rocky, and which one is Bullwinkle? :)

Next time I notice that you're online at the same time I am, I'm going to try the chat thing, just to see how it works.

But if I need a quick answer, I'll just pick up the phone..... ;)

They might be surprised at the "banter" that happens on the phone, huh? :o

Thanks,

Duane

Duane Scarborough
08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Buster,

We (Chuck, Papee, and myself) had a chat session going there for a little while. Sorry that you missed out on it. It does work, sorta'.

I called to invite you in to the fun, but your wife said you weren't available. Sadness.

I think that Papee "may" set up a scheduled time to try it out again.

It didn't last long. Chuck had work to do, and Papee also seemed to have his hands full.

Duane

buster
08-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Duane,

Well, now that we got together on the chat deal this evening, I guess we both know how it works. My biggest problem is that I type too slow,... and I think even slower :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We can probably use it anyway though sometimes :) :)

Dave

buster
08-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Sandman,

My CHT probes showed up this afternoon, and they look just about the way I described them. An 18 MM ring with a cable about 48" long.

The ring is thinner than I figured, maybe even thinner that the spark plug gasket that it will replace.

I hope to get them and the two dual gauges installed over the weekend. Stuff keeps coming up, and I still have to finish the trailer too.

Take care, Dave

buster
08-17-2009, 09:38 PM
I did manage to accomplish a few things on the boat this weekend. For one, I got the CHT gauges and probes installed. It wasn't as tricky as I first thought.

Now I will be able to monitor all four cyl. head temps just by glancing at two gauges.

I fired up the engine today to check them out, and they stayed below the halfway point on the scale. They all read about the same.

I had just installed an air scoop affair that we made up to direct more air to the cylinders behind the starter. I guess it worked, since as I said, all the needles read about the same. I hope it works that way when I get the boat in the water.

Dave[attachment=1:22wc339c]AIRCAT REBUILDING PROJECT 159.jpg[/attachment:22wc339c]

airhead
10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Question for Ron or anyone else,

Ron mentioned today, in the Solox thread, that his #1 cylinder was runing 350-380. The only cylinder i have running that hot is the one behind #1 on the same side ( forgot the # ) This cylinder is also the one that a valve seat came loose after running the engine about 10 minutes, when i first cranked it on the boat. I am just shooting the temps with a laser for now but as i said, it is hotter. Probably around 50-75* F.
Also i should mention that the parts engine i got the head from had a seat loose in one head. Don't know what # it was. And also the seats were peened on all heads. This could be a weakness :?:

Any thoughts or comments?

buster
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Airhead,

My 084 had a seat loose when I got it, and the owner of the cyl. head shop said that they will do that if the heads run too hot.

I bought a new head from Saturn Surplus and installed 4 CHT probes etc. I notice all the heads run about 200C now, that's with all the tin etc. removed. I hope it means the prop cools the engine better that the stock system did!

Dave

Duane Scarborough
10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Airhead,

My 084 had a seat loose when I got it, and the owner of the cyl. head shop said that they will do that if the heads run too hot.

I bought a new head from Saturn Surplus and installed 4 CHT probes etc. I notice all the heads run about 200C now, that's with all the tin etc. removed. I hope it means the prop cools the engine better that the stock system did!

Dave

Dave,

I've wondered what the difference would be in cooling between the original stock system, and then after we strip all that off, and depend on the airflow from the prop for cooling.

I really do not know, but here is what I think.

I "think" that the original system would cool better at idle speeds, and I "think" that after our modifications we'd had pretty much the same cooling at high speed.

It is something to think about some more....

Duane

buster
10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Duane,

You are probably right, but I guess the only way we will know for sure is to monitor the temps often. I plan to do that after I get my boat tweaked right, and summer comes back!

Did you, or do you plan to add CHT or EGT equipment to you boat?

Dave

chuckitt
10-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Adding an oil cooler also helps to keep the engine cooler. Here is a picture of Ron's cooler mounted under the oil filter.
http://www.miniairboatassoc.com/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10004/normal_013.JPG
I will try to get a picture of the B&M oil cooler Tomorrow.
Chuck

airhead
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I agree with runing an oil cooler. Mine is probably a little overkill but i already had it. The oil temp guage i am using is a regular auto guage. I think it starts at 110* and does not register anything until the engine is turned off and then around 130. I actually installed a used one first and thought it was bad.

As for the head temps i am a little concerned about the #3 cylinder. This may be the hot cylinder that these type engines tend to have and if so i probably am ok since it only runs about 375. I do plan to pull the plugs and check the color and check for air leaks etc..

I would like to know if #3 is hotter on anyone else's engine

Thanks,

Jim