PDA

View Full Version : Downdraft Mikuni Carburetors

River Rat
07-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I picked up a set of downdraft Mikunis a few days ago. It's a set of four inline that came off of a motorcycle. They had been removed some time ago, but the owner thought they came off of a 600cc engine.
I broke these things apart today (separated into individual carbs) and took two completely apart. So far I like what I see. These things do have changeable jets on 3 circuits... Good float, needle/seat design.
I plan to see if I can make my O84 run on these - one per cylinder. I'll post pics of the carbs after I get them cleaned up.

Rat

Duane Scarborough
07-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Rat,

It definately is possible to do, and it would be different. However, synchronizing them will be a big challenge. If you've got experience synchronizing multiple carbs, then go for it.

If not, you may have your hands full.

Mikuni makes an excellent, very tunable carb.

Myself, I'd like to find a single 30 mm downdraft Mikuni. If I don't run across one of those, I'm planning to use a 30 mm Solex.

Why? I have some experience with multiple carbs. They can be a PITA.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.

Duane

Sandman
07-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Duane
I'll look around the hose and see what I can find for Mikuni carbs.
The are popular carbs on snowmobiles.

airhead
07-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Rat,

I worked on Honda motorcycles in a prior life and have a little experience with this and also still have guages to do this. I agree they can be a PITA but if the jetting is correct it shouldn't be a biggie. The guages are just four vaccum guages and you just get them equalized. You just get the jetting correct and drag her down here if necessary and we will MAKE her GIT IT DONE :!: :P

Jim

Duane Scarborough
07-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Airhead,

Equalizing / balancing them at idle is just a small part of it. ;)

Like I said, it CAN be done. Getting it to run properly, with all cylinders getting the correct mixture under full power may be a real challenge. Getting the mid-range correct will be a total crap shoot.

Good luck.

Duane

Sandman
07-12-2009, 08:37 PM
well.. I guess what I thought was a downdraft carb is not a downdraft carb... these are carbs with the sliding valve. and I'm not sure on the diameter but they look large.

Duane Scarborough
07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Sandman,

That's O.K. Until Rat posted about downdraft Mikunis, I wasn't even sure they made them. And I'm still not so sure. :(

But, if they do make them, I bet they'd be good. Never saw a sidedraft Mikuni that couldn't be tweaked nicely.

I've got a line on a H30/31 Solex/Brosul that I'm chasing for now. I know it'll work with the 4A084, and I'm not inclined to do a lot of experimenting. :o

Thanks,

Duane

airhead
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Duane,
I agree 8-)

River Rat
07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Actually, I don't necessarily see it being that big of a PITA. Multiple carb set-up isn't a first for me. 4 Mikunis on an O84 will be a first for me, but I don't percieve it as being rocket science. I do expect there to be some mechanical challenges, of course more complex than adapting a single Solex, but that's actually one of the reasons why I'm doing it. 8-)
If the carbs aren't junk, I believe I can make it work much better than any single carb set-up on the O84.
Gonna give it the ole redneck try anyway ;) :P

Rat

River Rat
07-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Until Rat posted about downdraft Mikunis, I wasn't even sure they made them. And I'm still not so sure. :( Duane

Are you saying I don't know what I have? Cause that sure sounds like what you are saying... Please splain what you mean? That sounds just like you're implying that I'm a dumb A$$ ??
Just because you don't know anything about them doesn't mean they don't exist. WOW!

Sandman
07-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Wow.. well.. err.
Mikuni carbs are very easily rebuilt. I did look em up but really didn't find any online... Well I found one and I guess it was on a John Deer. But I didn't look far.. ebay.
I just modded the carb I already had and it seems to have made a difference.
Don't forget.. moods and tones are hard to decipher on forums...

River Rat
07-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Sandman,
Most motorcycles have sidedraft carbs because there's not as much (not enough) space atop the engine for carbs and airbox. Because downdraft carburetors more efficiently flow air, over the years several bike manufacturers modified (tunnelled out) the gas tank to make room for the downdraft carbs in an attempt to gain some power that seemed to be low-hanging fruit.... The tunelled out gas tanks had to be built much wider to increase fuel volume. Of course, not everybody prefers function over form, so the bikes weren't as popular, so you aren't going to find near as many downdraft set-ups. I looked for quite a while. They're actually not that different from the sidedraft carbs. Biggest thing that gives them away is the float design, which of course is designed for the carb to "lay flat", versus "standing upright". If the carbs are off the engine, most folks don't know the carbs are downdraft because they look so similar to the sidedrft models.
If you google "Mikuni Downdraft Carburetor" or "Downdraft Mikuni" you might find some pictures... If you were serious about a multi carb set-up on one of the surplus engines, this would be the way to go. Keep watching ebay.

DT

Sandman
07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
okay I did find a blow up of it but man these have got to be rare... cannot find them anywhere.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.co ... URETOR.Gif (http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/YAM/2/MCY/1988/FZR750RU/IMAGES/CARBURETOR.Gif)

From this site http://www.powersedge.com/pages/parts/v ... 5QodHhUgKw (http://www.powersedge.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx?gclid=CI_3qZ3v0psCFVlM5QodHhUgKw)
can buy em new but wow the only ones I've seen reference to are the bd34 and then I'm not sure if the blow up is of the bd34
I'll talk to a friend and see if he has any...

Duane Scarborough
07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
[quote="Duane Scarborough":rzrqj17w] Until Rat posted about downdraft Mikunis, I wasn't even sure they made them. And I'm still not so sure. :( Duane

Are you saying I don't know what I have? Cause that sure sounds like what you are saying... Please splain what you mean? That sounds just like you're implying that I'm a dumb A$$ ??
Just because you don't know anything about them doesn't mean they don't exist. WOW![/quote:rzrqj17w]

Rat,

I certainly didn't mean to impune you in any way. What I MEANT was that I hadn't seen one myself. Sorry for my poor choice of words.

Duane

David
07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Thats what happens in these forums one guy says something and it sounds like the other guy takes it the wrong way

Anyway back to the post I want to see that setup when you finish it

Duane Scarborough
07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
David,

You're right. It's very easy to either say, or take things the wrong way on a forum.

I've P.O'd people when I didn't mean to, and vice-versa. Best you can do is appoligize, and try to move on. It sure ain't worth getting into a pissin' match over.

I'd also like to see how that setup turns out. :)

Duane

Papee
07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Ditto, I hate people who think they know more than me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just to be safe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

River Rat
07-15-2009, 08:11 PM
No problem here, Duane... Yep. A lot is open to interpretation on these forum posts. Just making sure I was interpreting correctly. It's all good. :mrgreen:

Like David said... Back to the post topic. I was afraid I might run into this, but having problems finding rebuild kits/parts for these things. I'm told there were thousands of OEM models of Mikunis and without knowing exactly the bike they came from, they can't get me the kits.
Anyway... Not giving up on those yet, but in the mean while, I have ordered a new single carb to see if it looks like something I would be interested in using for a multi carb set-up on the O84. If so, there may be three more of them to follow. It is a sidedraft model, though. We'll see what it looks like in a couple of days. If not a candidate for the multi-carb set up on the O84, it'll make a nifty replacement for the stock carb on the O32.

DT

Papee
07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Just to put myself out there. :lol: :lol:
The stock carbs deliver the fuel via the metering rod so I thought about stacking carbs hooked up with a progressive linkage figuring I could turn down the idle mix screw on one of the so it didn't deliver to much fuel at idle. :shock:

River Rat
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Hmmm... :idea:

Duane Scarborough
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Rat,

Glad we've got that cleared up. :)

There once was a time when I could take something to the parts store, and say "I want one of these, but with (whatever) on the other side." The old parts guy would say somthing like "What you need is one from a '68 blah blah blah." And he would be correct. No more.

Nowdays, we don't find that level of parts experience. Most of the time, I know more about the part than the sales person. (And I'm no expert). If they can't find it in thier computer database, (with me giving them all of the relevant make/year/model/etc. info) then they can't help.

Good example. A while back, I wanted a kit to rebuld a manual steering sector for an '82 1 ton GMC. The parts stores all said it wasn't available. "go to a dealer." The GMC dealer told me they all had power steering in '82.

I told them "well, they built at least ONE with manual steering". It's in the parking lot. Want to see it? They couldn't help me.

So I decided to look for a used one, and ran into the same "no manual steering in '82 BS."

I finally found a guy who ran an old time junk yard, and told him what I was looking for. He didn't look at a computer, but simply asked, "left or right bend in the pittman arm? Don't matter, I've got plenty of both".

I hate trying to chase down non-existant parts, when I know they in fact they DO exist.

Enough of my parts frustration rant....

I'm sure you've been there too.

Duane

River Rat
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Not picking on parts guys, but you are right. But with so many makes, models, etc... on the road now, I guess they are somewhat forced to depend on computers.
Back in the mid/late 70's and through the 80's one of my job responsibilities after school and on the weekends was parts runner for my dad (in a hot rod 1966 Chevy P/U 8-) , but that's beside the point). Lots of times he'd send me to the parts house with no more than the part number that he knew from memory. That started becoming an issue in the early 80's and became a huge issue by the mid 80's once the majority of the parts counter guys were fully dependant on the computer... They became dependant on the computer to tell them the part number and the bin location to find it in, where as the old timers at least knew the bin location for most stuff if they had the part number. There came a point in the 80's that if all you had was the part number, they didn't even know how to look it up to find the parts bin to pull it from.
On a side note, on the weekend I was also runner for mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and anything else I could think of to warrant making a run in that hot rod p/u truck...
Daddy is 84 now. He helped pioneer a lot of racing around my neck of the woods. Started drag racing in the late 40's after WW2. Built and promoted a local drag strip for a couple of years.... Then started building and racing round track cars. He dropped the round track racing gig in the late 70's (after several championships) and went back to pidling on drag cars until about 10 years ago when he sold his last one.
... Sorry for the tangent, but I say all of that to say, that was one sweet running little 66 p/u truck of my father's that I was fortunate to learn to drive in. 8-)

Back on topic, I got notice today that the "new" test carb is in the mail. And I have a new line on a set of downdraft carbs that are still on the bike.... so I'll for SURE know what they came off of. ;)

River Rat
07-18-2009, 11:46 PM
The little new carb came in the mail today. It's the same basic design/style as the sidedraft round slide mikuni carbs, but some other manufacturer, and is a small scale version. What caught my attention on this one is that it has an accelerator pump. Decided right away though, that it won't be the choice for the O84. It'll probably end up on the O32. I'll keep you posted on the multi carbs for the O84. Lots of stuff going on this week, but still should be able to get my hands on the other downdraft carbs by the end of this week.