PDA

View Full Version : Hey Papee

airhead
06-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Is something going on with the post times on this site? Earlier i noticed where you had posted at 6:01 pm today. Or was i just having one of those moments :?: :? Oh and by the way; i hope to build the starter brackets this weekend and will post pictures. Right now there is nothing to post unless everyone wants to see one more striped down motor :( Also, i spoke with Chuck about a new hull, but it's not possible at this time, maybe later, my play money is very low. Probably just use a wide jon for now, if i ever find one.

Later, Jim

Papee
06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
The clock was off by an hour. Too bad you're not closer to me, there are all kinds of double wides on CL here. I'm not sure how a double wide would work with an 084 but it's worth a shot. I'm sure some of the outboards they put on them are just as heavy as these motors. I know a friend of mine has one with a 23hp Briggs on and it sets low in the back. I keep telling him to move his gas tank and battery forward but so far he's not listening. It would probably work for one person but it may be hard to get the second person on plane. You never know until you try it. As long as you don't do too much to the hull you most likely won't lose any money on the deal trying it out. I have a 48" 3 blade carbon fiber prop here if you need a prop. I changed mine for more speed. This one got out of the water fast but I wanted more top end. Top speed in my boat the the 3 blade 48 was about 22 mph didn't matter 1 or two people. I have the Arrow Prop on now, 52x24 and get around 30mph with one person. I haven't tried it with the same guy on comparing the old results yet.

airhead
06-28-2009, 02:22 PM
What rpm did you turn with the 48 inch and what are you turning now?

Jim

airhead
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey Papee,

Did you ever post a picture of your new panel :?: I sure would like to see it. You know i will have to copy somebody when i build one :P

Jim

Papee
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
I didn't have the tach on when I had the 48 on but if I had to guess by sound I'd say 4000.

I don't have the new dash done yet, I need to build a small brake on my bench to bend the aluminum. Work gets in the way of my fishing time.

airhead
07-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Well Papee, i may have out done you on the barge issue. I bought a boat yesterday and now i'm not sure if i made the right decision for an air boat. The boat is a Rescue 1 connector boat and is built just north of here in Alabama. I love the boat for what i want to do with it but i am concerned about the weight. The factory says it weighs 435 pounds empty. I feel sure that includes the 40 hp merc 4 cycle that comes on them. This is one tough boat. i'm not sure the tree you hit would have bent it the way it's made. I would like your openion since your boat is also heavy. ( so i hear ) Now remember i am net concerned with speed but as i have stated before, i don't want to plow water. The specs are on the Rescue 1 site if you want to look. If i decide to keep this one i will post pictures at that time. Hey check out the way the seats come out, that's really neat. also i guess another reason i am questioning the boat is because i have found some used airboat hulls for a whole lot less than i paid for this one. Honest openion please. :|

Thanks Jim

River Rat
07-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey, Airhead. Got yer PM... 10-4
Hull looks good. I'm sure it's not the optimal hull for an airboat, but I think it'd be a good start to get you going. You might even decide you want to stick with it after you get it going. I'd just try to set it up aiming for more low speed push over top end speed.
If it doesn't work out as an airboat, you got a dang good hull to hang an outboard on. If you hang that little outboard on it to try it out, let us know how it does. That little motor might give you an idea how much it's gonna take to move the hull through the water.

http://www.rescueone.com/Docs/Rescue%20 ... 0Specs.pdf (http://www.rescueone.com/Docs/Rescue%20ONE%20Technical%20Specs.pdf)

DT

Papee
07-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Big boat! That is 4 inches longer than mine and 5 inches wider. Weight is about the same as mine, a little less maybe, I never weighed mine.

Mine was made at 15'9" to keep it in the under 16 ft category as far as boating regulations.

airhead
07-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Papee, you may be right about the weight but i don't see how your boat could outweigh this thing. It is built like a tank. Maybe that's why i like it, after 28 years of playing with military toys, I'm kinda rough on things sometimes. I'm gona try to post pictures today. I will put them on my build site. It will be easy to mount a cage to this boat so i will probably give it a try. I can alyways build a nice little airboat later and right now me and the grandson need to be fishing. :)

Rat, So the others won't think we are trying to keep secrets, i am going to hang the 9.9 johnson on it asap :D . I read the laws on registeration and found out that it must be registered before it is put in the water. New boats have a 3 day grace period. :( :x

Papee
07-26-2009, 04:46 PM
LOL AH, that's why I call my boat "the Tank". It's heavy.

airhead
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I know you have been real busy lately but i was curious about the prop testing. I am ready to order but not sure of what to order. I probably will buy the 3 blade composite from Competition Aircraft because of the price. I would appreciate your openion on the length and pitch since you have the experiance. I do plan to run direct and probably will get 2 extra block sets to add more pitch since i want power instead of speed.
Im not sure about their bolt pattern and will find out so I will know what to order from Arrow Prop. Any last minute advise is appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

airhead
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Papee,

Do i remember correctly about your drivers seat. I hink you said it would swivel and can be locked while moving. What i would like to know is if you fabricated the lock or can such an animal be bought. I hope to start on the frame this weekend and am trying to plan ahead. I definately want the seat to swivel for fishing but also don't want any exciting moments. I have made a little progress and will try to post some pictures this weekend.

Thanks

Papee
08-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I never did put a lock on my seats because it never bothered me with it moving. Keep an eye on my new prop thread starting with the 59" 3 blade prop. I'm still testing but as soon as the weather clears enough for me to get it out again I'll post the results.

airhead
08-22-2009, 11:00 AM
I guess the lock was in one of my building dreams :?: I will cross that bridge later ( or hope i can go under it :P ) I also have To figure a way to move the passenger seat to a pedistal in front and i'm also concerned about the control stick being
in the way. I guess thats why we build stuf :?: :)

I finally got the spacer and face plate for the prop hub. I Got the 56 inch prop so i hope you don't figure out a longer

prop works better :twisted: :o But if so :?: Thanks for the help :)

Jim

Papee
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
You should be good, I'm going to be 57 most likely. I'm hoping to get way from work for a little while today to at least get the prop off and the changes made. Then all I'll have to do is wait for a fair weather window.

Bogger2
09-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Airhead,
I got swivel seats on mine but I have a twist throtle not a gas pedal so I can keep both feet on the floor platform. No lock on it. I don't do way crazy turns on mine yet.It is sweet to be able to swival to see behind you and for fishing. I used regular pedistal seat suports and brackets. You can see it on Bogger rotax rig.
Bogger

airhead
10-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Papee,

I was just wondering if you got the address?

Thanks

Papee
10-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Yea, I got it, I'll pack them up this evening and get them out tomorrow.

airhead
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks,

Maybe i will be able to try it again next weekend.

Jim