PDA

View Full Version : Better carb for 084

billsmini
12-18-2008, 07:13 PM
well I got my solex carb in today and designed a bolt on manifold so it's a easy conversion , this is a replacement for the vw bug 1200 cc to 1600 cc engine , the jetting should be dead on. anything will be better than the 1 circut carb stock. this carb has a 3 fuel circut idle midrange & high , can tune for more power and better performance, I will be posting pics soon. was at chucks today got the belt drive in so he can start on the rigging, the motor is done just making the carb position effective before finalizing my manifold design . also designing the bracket Im going to use on it. It must look PERFECT and be cost effective. also will be using a new slick mag --- better than the farbanks, plus parts are scares for the farbanks. this engine is looking more like a mini aircraft than a boat engine, VERY COOL! Im excited,,,, can you tell?

Duane Scarborough
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Bill,

I don't know if you're even still hanging around on this forum. I was down in Lake Panasoffkee last weekend, and Chuck kinda' filled me in on your situation, and that you had to sell the boat. I sincerely hope that it gets better really soon. I wish that I'd ran across this forum about 4 months earlier. You built a nice boat, and sold it at a bargain basement price. I just ran across it too late.

I'm thinking about putting a Solex carb on my 4A084. With the budget I'm working with, I may not be at the point to need a Solex anytime soon. But I can plan ahead.

If you are still hanging around, I'd love to hear more about the "bolt on", "easy conversion" intake manifold you designed. Insight on the Slicks vs. Fairbanks mag would also be welcomed. I am VERY new to this, so I can ask some stupid questions. Is the factory mag on a 4A084 a Fairbanks?

Thanks,

Duane Scarborough
Wilson, NC

dak10
06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
well i can tell u all that if u run the brosol solex carb it will in fact run to lean. i did some reseach on the solex an to find out it is set to run super lean. so any one running the solex will have to rejet it.main jet,idel jet,and excellerator pump tube i found that it runs around 450 to 475+ degrees and i think that is to damn HOT. so i got the jets a 170 will flood it out but the stock fuel pump seem to do a good job of keeping up with the demand,so i have been playing with this and i think i got it but i have not had time to hit the water. oh ps i do know where to get the jets after 2 day of hunting
and do not run the 084 to long with a stock brosol solex carb or it WILL melt down

airhead
10-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I know there has been a lot of discussion on the Solox carb but i was wondering if anyone has the right formula figured out. I.E., which carb, which jets etc...

Thanks

buster
10-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Airhead,

I don't pretend to know a lot about them yet, but I have a Solex 30 PICT3. I am quite sure several other solex carbs would also work satisfactory, but this is the one I chose.

After doing some reading on this forum, I decided to go with a 150 main jet, and so far it seems to be working great. I should say though, I haven't got a lot of time on it, just mainly a few short test runs in the water, and a dozen or so sessions on the trailer.

Each time I ran it at least long enough to fully warm it up. I have CHT's on all four cyl., and none ever went over 200C. I don't know what that is in farenheit, but I understand 246C is ok.

It had 1125 main jet in it stock, and that is way to lean, and will cause overheating. I never ran that one, but this is what I have heard from others.

Also, I started out with a stock 084 carb, and would not go back! I love the electric choke, and the accelerator pump, so it doesn't fall on it's face when you give gas. Obviously there are other benefits, but these are the first that I noticed.

Dave

airhead
10-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks Buster,

I have already found out that the stock carb will eventually have to go. I am going to try Papee's trick for now. I have got to stop spending money on toys for a while and the carb will require more. I only have an oil temp guage right now but if i start experimenting with carbs i won't feel comfortable checking the heads manually. And also the EGT will need monitering.

But on second thought if your temps are OK mine should be also. :?: We'll see.

Jim

Papee
10-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I would do the carb last after you have the boat ready to go. The stock carb really isn't that bad. I've had to replace my original one but who knows how old it was. I doubt you will see a noticeable performance increase. The features(elect choke) and better reliability make it worth the switch though. I'll be interested to see just what the difference is when I'm ready to do the switch. I do have a little flat spot but it's just above idle, once you are past that the carb works well. I've run it for hours at a time and had zero problems with it other that the floats sticking once in while after hauling it or maybe a steep ramp. I'll be waiting to see the results of these guys that are running them before I make the switch.

I'm I firm believer in seeing what you got before you make any changes. If these guys start running 40-45 mph I'll be switching to a reduction drive and a better carb. :mrgreen:

David
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
I know when Ron had the Ivo on his boat with the stock carb that prop was fine but when he changed to the solex carb it was not enough prop and the warp drive was also not enough

airhead
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I just realized what my problem could be. The carb started acting up bad while i was out and it just added to my frustrations. I remember it raining on the gas tank last week and the glass is missing from the guage. This could have caused what it started doing. So i will install a new tank before next trip and try Papee's metering tube trick.

Thanks,

Jim