PDA

View Full Version : waterbugminiairboats

Snapper
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
has anyone here ever heard of these airboats , a guy up in missourri is making them I think from the site he's even designed his own 4 stroke v twin motor and patented it he has a cool video of it as well brand new aluminum rig , w/ motor dual ruuders and trailer 8000.00 looks fast on video says it'll do 30 , I bet that motor he has would fly on the minipro 116 hull or 105 or maybe even the rd2 hull ... http://www.waterbugairboats.com check em out

ASHORN
10-31-2008, 04:44 AM
He is using a Generac base motor with a different
intake and carb.

http://www.lightsportaircraft.ca/airven ... ering.html (http://www.lightsportaircraft.ca/airventure-2006/valley-engineering.html)

A while back I read something about that engine not holding up.
It was in a Generator Forum, but they were running them for days
on end at 3600 RPM in FL heat after one of the big storms.

He also has a video on youtube of the boat. Better than the
one on the web site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvXow0J0_Z8

Just noticed he has the youtube on the site now, will post the other older one.
Looks like he has poly or something on the bottom for protection.

ASHORN
10-31-2008, 05:12 AM
Just found this also.

Generac GTH990 rated at 45 HP Peak and 40 HP Cont.
Can not get much out of the Gererac Site.
Never know, with a new intake and carb !!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/40hp-Engine-Horizon ... m153.l1262 (http://cgi.ebay.com/40hp-Engine-Horizontal-1-7-16-Shaft-NEW_W0QQitemZ200268703495QQihZ010QQcategoryZ63924Q QcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)

ASHORN
11-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Some pictures they sent me.

Snapper
11-22-2008, 03:20 PM
what in the world is on the bottom of that hull?

ASHORN
11-22-2008, 04:58 PM
SIDE PLANES

Specs
Boat: Blazer
Trailer: custom design
Engine: Big Twin 40 HP
Length: 12 ft.
Bottom: 48” boat - 62” with side planes
Beam: 62”
Height: 88”
Transom: 20”
Construction: All welded aluminum
Throttle: motorcycle twist
Gauges: Tachometer, oil pressure, oil temp
$8,000.00 (fob Rolla, Missouri)

Waterbug Air Boats, L.L.C
15685 Co. Rd. 7100
Rolla, MO 65401
(573)-364-6311

Snapper
11-22-2008, 05:57 PM
ashorn you said you had more pictures ?

ASHORN
11-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I have another picture but can not upload it ??
Do not know why, nice shot of the inside from the front back to the engine.
I added the pic for you

chuckitt
11-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Side Planes are OK in open water to help you get on plane. It keeps you from having to build a wider boat. Don't turn when you are going thru weedbeds, they can hook in the weeds and flip you over. Ask them to give you a demo of turning it while crossing a weedbed. It is priced OK.
Thanks, Chuck

Papee
11-23-2008, 08:44 AM
ASHORN don't you have the same running conditions as I? Those side planes wouldn't last long around the rocks, they would get bent quickly around here and do more harm than good. I agree it is a pretty good price but the "waterwings" need more thought. Maybe enclose them.

ASHORN
11-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Just was adding to the posts on the boat.

Same here the sideplanes would last maybe two weeks until I drifted
sideways in to a rock. I see what they are trying to do, I would rather
have the width all the way around for more room inside.

Soon as things settle down here, changing jobs good time to do that ??

I think I am going with a RD2 with poly on the bottom/sides and a VW or Harley engine.
I am running a 17' jet boat right now with a 175 on it. I would rather
run a big engine easy than WOT a smaller one.
Looks like an engine from great planes (VW) except I am going to use the VW cooling
shroud. VW engines had a problem with the valves that were in the center of the engine
not getting enough cooling air. MAYBE A MINI SPORT ??

One last question for us folks up north, I get the running dry thing.
What are they talking when the say "running or will run the hill".
You have a standard hill that all boats have to make, LOL ??

Papee
11-23-2008, 04:58 PM
On the VW, I ran into a guy that had one on at the ramp this year and he also told me that he had problems with overheating until he put a shroud. If you're considering the VW I would seriously think about the 084 setup like Chuck is doing now. These motors don't have quite the HP the VW do but the make up for it by weighing less. I can haul two people on my direct drive 16 foot boat with no problem. It really doesn't run any different with two people in when on plane. It just takes a feet more feet to get on plane. the parts are also cheap for these and you can get them right here in Millersburg, the area where I live.

These engines are also easier on gas. I only have a 5 foot hull so I'm limited on prop length and can run the direct drive. You getting a wider boat can use a bigger prop and reduction and get even more out of this setup.

chuckitt
11-23-2008, 07:21 PM
There is no measured hill. What is meant by running the hill? When your boat will drive out of the water and up a bank, most of the time it is less than a 30 degree incline. Airboaters in Florida will find a ridge on the side of a lake and drive their boats to the top of the ridge, spin it around and park next to each other, have a beer and brag about whose boat done it the best. :mrgreen: .
We did finish Ron and Robins boat today. Ron done most of the work while I fought with my 2 computers trying to get them to notice each other. Tomorrow we will make some test runs. I am going to their topic and post some pictures.
Thanks, Chuck

Snapper
11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
aww heck that aint nothing but a cheap flat boat with a bolt in rig from the looks of the inside shot , the boat has ribs , that wont work for anything around here in louisiana ... got to be slick

Snapper
11-23-2008, 08:28 PM
thanks for posting the other pic ash

chuckitt
11-23-2008, 08:49 PM
I think their boat has it's place in the mini world. It would be OK in open lakes. I wish they would make the hull wider and leave the trip chimes off. We call them trip chimes because in turns it can trip you and cause the boat to flip over. I had small trip chimes on one of my drag race boats, but we ran it in a straight line. I think they could make the hull wider and still keep the price close to $ 8000.00.
Thanks, Chuck