PDA

View Full Version : 4a032 belt drive?

dcm5899
07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Does anyone built a belt drive for the 4a032, or is there one that can be adapted? Would one that fits a Cuyuna 20-45HP engine be modified to work?

Sandman
07-04-2009, 05:48 PM
does the 032 need a reduction drive?
I'm looking into one atm... but 3600 rpm... sounds like it would be right from what I gather on prop rpms... but wouldn't the motor have a hard time turning a prop at that rpm consistently?
Can the 032 keep rpms at 3600 with prop drag?
The reduction I'm looking at I assume would be 1.89... am I correct at that assumption?

EDIT:
I'm looking at http://www.mcmaster.com/# for different pulleys.. again I'm lost...
Man this is allot harder than one would think it to be... AIRBOATS!! ARGGG....
But I'm determined to learn...
Again my head spins with all the different pullys out in the world... is there a formula for pulleys?
Like a 2 inch pulley to a four inch pulley... would that be a 2:1 ratio? or am I way off track?
3 inch pulley to a nine inch pulley... 3:1?
Man I'm such a green horn with all of this... it's allot to consume... purchasing will wait until I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Duane Scarborough
07-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Sandman,

Does a 4A032 "need" a reduction drive? There is no simple answer to that question. Does it "need" one? NO. It'll move air without a reduction drive.

However, combined with the right reduction ratio, and the right diameter and pitch prop, it would probably perform much better with a reduction drive than it would as a direct drive. A reduction drive would let you turn a larger prop at a slower speed. That'd give you more thrust, and a quieter noise level.

But do you really need it in your application? Hard question.

I am certainly not an expert on this. I was asking the same kind of questions not long ago about my 4A084 engine.

Chuck Rackley at Airboat Pros (352-330-1015) has a lot of experience in this area. Give him a call. He'll probably talk your ear off with good advice. Be prepared to take notes. :)

Duane

Edit: You've got the pulley ratio thing correct. But there is a lot more to it than pulley ratios. :o

Sandman
07-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Duane,
well.. I was thinking of mounting my motor low as possible and using a rather long belt system to power the prop shaft.
I realize that shaft to motor alignment would need to be perfect and the ratio would need to be, "just right".
What I could find for a proper belt might be tough and I'd probably need to find all these variables before starting a build.
I'm way way ahead of myself anyway because I don't own a boat yet or have all the materials to build one.
I really like Chuck's mini 105 and 084 but shipping would kill me. Also cash is tight atm as it is with most people in today's economy.
I did put an inquiry to a fabrication company about costs to build a reduction and if the price is right I'll spread the word... but until I figure out the ratio's I have no idea what I need in order to have one build to specs for my motor.
So the 032 motor would perform better with a reduction unit.
What ratio would work best? or where do I begin? I'll make the phone calls suggested on this thread.
research, research, research.... oh man.
to think... I thought this would be easy!! lol just throw a prop on an engine, mount it to a flat boat.... make a cage... = airboat! wow... the more I know the more I realize there is so much "more" to know.

took a peek at this site... somewhat helpful/confusing!! lol http://www.epi-eng.com/mechanical_engin ... erties.htm (http://www.epi-eng.com/mechanical_engineering_basics/belt_drive_properties.htm)

chuckitt
07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I talked to Don today at Arrowprop and he don't make a drive for the 032. He is going to look at the posibility of making some changes to the 084 drive and let me know Friday if he will make us some 032 drives. He said they would cost the same as the 084 drives.
Thanks, Chuck

Sandman
07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
awesome Chuck!! thank you.

chuckitt
07-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Don at Arrowprop said he would build 6 Drives for the 032 if i would purchase 2 up front. I want one but can't afford it now. OK, who wants to order an 032 drive? The cost is $ 650.00 and i don't think it includes shipping.
Thanks, chuck

Sandman
07-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm in the same boat Chuck.. I want one for sure but I'll have to wait because I'm on unenjoyment atm...

chuckitt
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
We are pulling off my shroud and flywheel tonight. I haven't looked at one to see what it would take to make one. will do a study this weekend.
Thanks, Chuck