PDA

View Full Version : Papee's 4A084 engine

chuckitt
07-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Papee's 084 engine is almost ready to ship. We are waiting on the prop
adaptor and the starter/alternator.
http://www.miniairboatassoc.com/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10004/Papee_s_4A084_001.JPG
Thanks, Chuck

Papee
07-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Sure is purty! Looks like I have a lot of work to do to the hull to catch up. I may have to stop fishing so I can get the hull and rigging ready for paint.

Snapper
07-14-2008, 10:16 AM
that is a pretty motor looks like a mini aircraft engine , so do these motors do better than the 40 kohlers chuck

chuckitt
07-14-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know how they will perform compared to the 40 Kohler Snapper. We
haven't run one. I feel sure they will do better with a drive unit. My grandson
is building Papee's headers now. When he get's through i will take pictures
and post them.
Thanks, Chuck

Snapper
07-14-2008, 08:43 PM
10-4 , what ever happened to the videos of the 116 running dry chuck

chuckitt
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
It was almost dark and you couldn't hardly see it and I haven't had time to
do another.
Chuck

Papee
07-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Just adding some prop info.
Tennessee prop 48x24 (MAC Gyro) 3" wide hub, I flew 30 hours with that. Static was 3400rpm and 240lbs thrust.

48x30 that had less chord than the MAC prop (it was for VW). That prop had 245lbs static and 3550rpm.

Looks like I may be in the right ballpark for this engine if I put in the 18 degree shims.

Papee
07-20-2008, 07:31 AM
From Yahoo 4A084 groups
I called Powerfin a couple of months back.Its a very nice and very low
mass composite ground adjustable.The engineer I spoke with there said
that as of then(April)they were not reccomending their props for any
direct drives becaause of pulse/resonance issues.They said that there
was not enough mass in the hubs and that the blade roots where they go
into the hubwere not strong enough to handle the power pulses.I was told
that they have some major revisions in the blade structure coming up
sometime this summer and they might be able to offer direct drive
applications.In the meantime the engineer said that it was best to use
redrive for the 084 application.In the meantime I'm using a Tennessee
54/27 for my application.

chuckitt
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Papee's 084 is ready. Is anyone leaving Florida and going thru PA that
could take Papee's 084 motor to him. It would save some shipping and
you would get to meet a super guy. Anywhere close and Papee would meet
you. Thanks, Chuck

Papee
08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Chuck shipped my 084 on Monday the 25th, it should be here any day now. I sold the 032 last week and pulled it off over the weekend. Guy never showed up to pick up the 032 though :| I used the measurements from the spec sheets on the 084 and made the changes to my engine stand so it should be mostly "bolt on" from here.

Papee
08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
The shippers called today. The motor will be delivered between 10-12 AM tomorrow.

Lester Burch
08-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Its a good looking engine i seen it 2 weeks ago at Chucks shop

Papee
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I got the motor this morning. Chuck, in the first photo, the oil lines, is there a filter mount or do I have to come up with something for this?

chuckitt
08-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Papee, I will ups you one tomorrow. I never even noticed. It was taken off to paint the
engine. I will look thru other parts and send what I think you might need. Thanks, Chuck

Papee
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Ok Chuck, I have an oil cooler I'm going to add any way so I'll put it in there to complete it for now so I can test it. I got the motor up on the stand today, my mounts are off so I'll have to cut them off and move them. It's been raining all day at just a slow drizzle so I'll have to wait until it stops so I can weld. When I welded at work sometimes I had to weld in the rain but I choose not to get "the tickle" when I can. I did get the height right on the money.

Snapper
08-29-2008, 04:50 PM
thats looking good papee

Papee
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
I managed to get all the mounts done. That's all I could manage. After my knee replacement the docs said I'd be good a new but that didn't happen. The arthritis is attacking other places now that I have the titanium knees and it can't attack there. It's getting so bad I can hardly stand again. I'll just do what I can and hopefully I can have it on the water soon. The rest should go more easily.

Snapper
08-29-2008, 09:42 PM
sorry to hear that about the arthritis paps

Papee
08-30-2008, 06:40 PM
You have to take what's dealt to you. I got it started, a few times but it wouldn't stay running. I think the carb float may be hung up from shipping. I'll give it another go tomorrow. That's all the legs I have for today. Chuck I took the plugs out and pulled it over with the rope a few times to try and get gas to the plugs first. I put the plugs back in and it seemed to pull a little easier. At least I'm able to start it now with the rope.

I don't have the throttle hooked up yet so when it starts it races a bit until I can get hold of the throttle linkage. The last time it ran for a while before it shut down so I think I may have the problem solved. I blew over my step ladder in the garage and also blew the attic hatch out. This thing blows some air compared to the old one. I only had the front of the boat on the jack on a few pieces of wood to keep it up so the rain would drain out. It pushed it off the blocks and I went for a ride. :D

I'll have to move it tomorrow because the exhaust is going in the garage and going through the house. Oop's, the wife came out and I got the look and a good tongue lashing. She says it's too loud to run in the neighborhood and I tried explaining that it was aimed right into the garage and was the reason for it seeming so loud. That and it won't run yet at an idle. I'll probably load it up and take it to the water tomorrow along with some tools. I have a trolling motor so I'll give it a try.

I forgot to charge the camera batteries so no new pics yet.

Papee
08-31-2008, 03:50 PM
I had it out for a test today. What a difference! It has some carb issues with the float. I think it's getting stuck. One time I can't get any gas the next time the gas comes out the overflow tube. I'm going to need to go up a few degrees in prop to slow the motor down a bit but I am very happy so far. I may just buy a new carb and put it on.

David
08-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey Papee let us know when you get all the bugs out how it compares to the engine that you had on before the 32

Papee
08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
David there is no comparison, this engine has way more torque. I did have it running well enough for a while to test it out. It just ran rough when trying to idle at that point. It jumps right up on plane but I need to work with the engine angle some. About 3/4 of the boat is in the water with the front in the air. I think it is plowing a bit slowing it down. I have no shims in it now and the best setup before was 3 washers in the prop end of the engine.

I'm going to take the carb a part tomorrow and look at the float. I'm thinking about a new carb that is more adjustable, this one only has one adjustment.

When I put it in the water it didn't seem to sit any different in the water. The back of the boat is only about two inches in the water empty.

Papee
09-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I went out to clean up my tools from the project and decide to take the carb off and have a look at it. I found a good amount of dirt in the bowl. The float looked like it was working ok so I cleaned the carb and put it back on. It seems to be working ok so I'll take it out again to see if I got the problem solved. This will save me a few bucks because I am working on an idea to add an updraft carb. I haven't decided on a carb ye but I would like to see if it is possible to cut off the existing flange, seal it and add a new flange to the center of the intake.

Papee
09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I had a chance to get the boat out today for a short run. The carb is working fine now and I must have hit the shims on the money. The boat come right up on plane and I can back off the throttle about half way. The splash from the water is just behind where I sit. The water here is really low right now, the lowest it been for a while so I didn't run it full, out very long. For those of you that don't know, I run the Susquehanna River and it has many many rocks. With the water so low there are rocks sticking out that normally don't so even though I have run this area for 35 years I don't feel safe at speed right now. I'm going to take it out again this weekend and run to some deeper water and get a video. My new shims should be in by then also.

I did a stretch of 3-4 inch water and it was pretty fast. Speed is hard to tell passing all the obstacles, it looked way faster than I was actually going. I'm going to get a speed transducer for my fish finder. If I had to guess I would say in the 40's mph range. You can feel it speed up as you go from 1-2 ft to the skinny water. Now I have to get the engine slowed down, it spins up so fast that I heard the "buzzing" a few times and was a bit tricky to keep it under that speed as I was maneuvering through the rocks. I am very happy with this motor setup, it's a keeper.

I'll get some video as soon as possible. I'm not comfortable enough yet to film and run with the water this low. I want to thank Chuck and his team at Airboat Pro's for the attention they gave my motor. You guys are the best!

David
09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I am glad you are happy with your new setup

Papee
09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks David,I still had a few issues with the carb, I went down to Saturn Surplus and they were out of carb kits so I took the carb apart and cleaned everything then shined up the float needle valve with some steel wool and it seems to be working a lot better. I have a short video uploading now of the test after I got the carb back on. I think the zoom was on so it a bit shaky. The new prop shims should be here today but I most likely won't get back out until some time this weekend.

I didn't spin it up because there is a pile of branches I had just cut down the other day and didn't want the leaves everywhere. :lol:

[youtube:tg74tar6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0u2QjYhMxQ[/youtube:tg74tar6]

David
09-04-2008, 10:19 PM
even though you didnt run up all the way it sounds like it could use a little more pitch

It sounds good

Papee
09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Yea, I'm bumping it up 6 degrees, from 12 to 18. I'm not sure about the relationship between prop pitch angle(forward movement) and and actual degrees though. At 12 degree it looks about the same as my 42x29 stick prop.

Papee
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I had to run out to camp to get some things before the rains come. I took the camera along but the ride was pretty bumpy, the wind was gusting at a pretty good clip and it was choppy. I took this video on the way back.

[youtube:1pwa5be5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itpQENehOig[/youtube:1pwa5be5]

Same video without music so people can hear the prop close to max prop rpm. I have new pitch blocks now but in this video I was under propped and had to be light on the pedal. Just an example.
[youtube:1pwa5be5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlpZq8ch7h4[/youtube:1pwa5be5]

[youtube:1pwa5be5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KN3WMhHd0[/youtube:1pwa5be5]

Papee
09-12-2008, 01:18 AM
I got my new prop shims today and took it for a run. Wow what a difference! It takes about half throttle to get it on plane in deeper water but then I can let off and run lower than that. It slowed the rpm down to a comfortable rate, I didn't get a tach yet. I'm going to take it back out Sat. and take a GPS along to see what it does. The rpms are still just a bit high at full throttle but I think once I get the starter/generator setup on it will pull it down to being about right. I want to take someone along so I can get shots of how much of the boat is in the water at speed. Overall, I am very happy with this setup but I may still try a wooden prop if I can find a used one to try.

Papee
09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
I have a used starter/generator from a Bolens garden tractor on the way to try it out to get this thing to start with all the rope yankin. At $50 for the whole package it's much cheaper than the golf cart setup.

Papee
09-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Here's a few photo's of how it sits in the water. I didn't have anyone along to take a video but I set the camera on a piece of firewood and took a short on of it running. It's a little far away but I'll get better next time my partner goes out along. Te video is uploading now.

When empty, the boat only sits in about 2" of water.

[attachment=1:1bizzusn]floating640.jpg[/attachment:1bizzusn]

Another full view of it sitting in the water.

[attachment=0:1bizzusn]newmotor640.jpg[/attachment:1bizzusn]

chuckitt
09-25-2008, 09:08 PM
That looks good Papee. I didn't know your stick was on the right side. We
put the rudder stick on the left. We hope our first belt drive comes in
tomorrow. Can't wait to get one on the MiniPro 116.
Thanks, Chuck

Papee
09-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I put the stick on the right because I hold a fishing rod in the left. and reel with the right. That way I don't have to change hands while trying to retrieve a stuck lure.

I'm interested in seeing what the belt drive does. I think I'll be happy with the direct drive, I don't need any more speed, I'm going fast enough with all the big obstacles. Well, I mean once I decide what prop I'll end up with. I just want to be able to back off the peddle a bit more when I'm in deeper water, shallow it works fine. I'll sacrifice a little on how it jumps on plane but I'd rather be able to cruise at a lower RPM. I may not evn lose much out of the water because the thing spins up so fast now.

Snapper
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
you still planning on adding a reduction pap's

Papee
12-23-2008, 11:37 PM
No reduction for me on this boat, I can only run up to a 58 in prop. The motor has no trouble turning the prop I have. A three blade 52 inch now. I just got new blades for it. I do have a new boat in the works, you'll see it being discussed on here soon.

sberryman
12-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Papee , is your prop from competition aircraft ? Thats where I have been looking at the 2 and 3 blade . I like the price of the 3 blade composit over a 2 blade wood . I sold my boat dec. 6 . now I need to find a wide hull so I can start on the new one . I can't remember where you said your prop adapter was made. I'll need to get a couple when I find them . your boat doesn't draw very much water, that motor sure sounds good. I hope mine runs and sounds that good. Scott

av8or
12-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Papee,
She sure looks good in the water. Mine is all torn down right now and if all fails I will be looking into an rd2 hull from chuck. Things are a little tight right now so I hope I can get it running for a while just to get my feet wet. If I get mine setting half that well in the water, I will be up and running. Hope things aren't too cold and icy up there.

John

Papee
12-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Papee , is your prop from competition aircraft ? Thats where I have been looking at the 2 and 3 blade . I like the price of the 3 blade composit over a 2 blade wood . I sold my boat dec. 6 . now I need to find a wide hull so I can start on the new one . I can't remember where you said your prop adapter was made. I'll need to get a couple when I find them . your boat doesn't draw very much water, that motor sure sounds good. I hope mine runs and sounds that good. Scott
Yes my prop came from Competition Aircraft but if you are going with a wider hull you may need a different prop and reduction. The Ultra Prop will only go to 52 inches. My adapter came for Arrow prop.

Papee
12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey Papee,
She sure looks good in the water. Mine is all torn down right now and if all fails I will be looking into an rd2 hull from chuck. Things are a little tight right now so I hope I can get it running for a while just to get my feet wet. If I get mine setting half that well in the water, I will be up and running. Hope things aren't too cold and icy up there.

John
It's cold here one day and half decent the next. I will be going with a version RD2 as well. I'm having a thicker bottom put on and some changes on the front deck.

sberryman
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
thanks Papee , the weather is nuts here in NE Al. ---17 one day 70 the next ---this year is irregular at best.

ASHORN
01-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Can not wait to see what you come up with for RD2 Hull. That is one thing we
need in PA is a thicker bottom. That front deck is just begging for a non-skid
coating and a fishing seat mount. Maybe one that can be removed and used
for the passenger. Two more feet in length would be good also but they seem to
go wider and shorter on these boats even on the V8s. Need lower seats too !
Man where I go my face and head would be gone. Swear the Southern ABers would
put a tree stand on their boats if they could, some high seats !! LOL.

I found an engine, been out side for a while and need to see if it is loose.
I was told it was a PE90, got to see if the guy wants to sell it. Still in a
plane but the airframe will never fly again. Might have had prop strike and
if that is the case I will not use it.

If you get the hull I would like to take a ride out and see it. I think you
are only a hour or so away now with the 78/33 bypass. Cabelas is about
40 minutes from me now.

chuckitt
01-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey ASHORN, We are going to name the new hull the RD3. We are also thinking about a 13 ft X 7 ft. Would a 4 ft front deck be big enough? You and Papee can give me your opinion on the size of the front deck.
Thanks, Chuck

av8or
01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey Ashorn,
I just mover to northern Florida last spring from the Tannersville area. Wish I would have had a chance to know ya when I was there. Not many people into air boats in the Pocono's. Once I get my present vw powered boat up on plane and working right, I am putting it on the chopping block to get one of Chuck's aluminum hulls for my ea-81 ruuu. It is either that or sell the ruuu and put the vw on one of his hulls. Either way I am going to get one of them under my big butt. Looking forward to see the rest of the stats on the new one. Hope things start to warm up there sooner then later for ya.

John

Papee
01-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Chuck I'll measure my front deck. I made mine big enough to move around but not long enough to mess with the trolling motor when it is in the stored position. That's the plan Ashorn. Chuck is going to make my front deck bigger and put in a sleave for a fishing seat. I wanted my access door in the bulkhead instead of on the top. I just wish I could work a live well in but I dont think there is room. After I get the length for Chuck I'll get him to measure how deep the boat is at that point. If there's enough room I'd like to add the live well.

ASHORN
01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Maybe something under the passenger seat. I have used Coleman Coolers plumed for a live well in the past. I know it would be nice to pop the hatch and drop them in without getting up. Maybe make the front a deck over ? Would like to see a "Splash Well" in the back in case water comes over the transom when you drop off of plane. I run some nasty rapids and that would be good insurance.

Papee
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Yea, I use a cooler now and would like something more permanent.

chuckitt
01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, what do yall think? A 48 inch, 54 inch, or 60 inch deck? Let me know. I want to get with Raymond and work up the cost. Thanks, Chuck

Papee
01-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Chuck, for me it would be critical that there be enough room for the person in the front seat be able to stand up and have some room to move around without getting on the deck. I don't want to have to put the fishing seat too far forward. Going to a shorter boat is tough. LOL I'll go out in the morning and measure mine and see if the length will work out with the seating.

Papee
01-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I measured this morning and 54" would work for me as long as there is room for the front passenger to move around. 60 would be ultimate though if it worked out.