PDA

View Full Version : Using John Boat Hull

coondog123
01-19-2008, 06:18 AM
One of the boat dealers in town got in a shipment of John Boats that from the road passing by have a real good shape to them. What are the drawbacks using a john boat hull for a mini.

The ribs make it hard to turn?
They are usually to narrow? What is the least width you would use?
What other things can you think of?

Thanks in advance.

Papee
01-19-2008, 02:15 PM
A hull should be at least 5 foot but I have built some boats with only a 3 ft wide hull. I just did a 14x4 with a 23 hp Briggs and 42" stick prop that works well for one person.

Jaxom
03-05-2008, 01:25 AM
I was just going to ask the same question about jon boats. I often see them for $500 or less on Craigslist.

Duane Scarborough
03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Don't let a thread die too young. :)

I'm going back 40 years ago when I was a kid wanting to build an airboat with a VW engine and a Jon boat.

I may be there now. Let's hear about those who have tried it, and how it worked out for you. I know it's not the ideal airboat, but I may be able to afford something like this, but never will be able to afford the idael airboat.

Papee
03-03-2009, 01:44 AM
The smallest I had was a 14 ft sears Jon Boat with an 8 hp Briggs, 36x17 prop. It would plane out an move pretty good. It took some playing around but it got plenty of looks when people saw it planing out.